Upgrade reverb tank classic 30 ii

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
ggking

Upgrade reverb tank classic 30 ii

Post by ggking » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:15 am

I have been noticing discussions about upgrading the reverb tank in classic 30 amps. Anybody done it with a classic 30 ii? What tank did you use?

ScottMarlowe

Re: Upgrade reverb tank classic 30 ii

Post by ScottMarlowe » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:35 am

I have replaced the tanks in both my C50s with Mod tanks. The 2x12 got a9" (short form) 3 spring tank while the 4x10 got the 18" 2 spring tank. The shorter 3 spring tank is "tighter" sounding and works well for 70s and 80s rock and heavy metal. The long form 2 spring one is "spongier" sounding and great for surf guitar but gets out of hand quick when reverb is set to over 4 or 5 even.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:00 am

ggking wrote:I have been noticing discussions about upgrading the reverb tank in classic 30 amps. Anybody done it with a classic 30 ii? What tank did you use?
Personally, if you like reverb I don't think you can do much better than what's in it now. As far as real spring reverb goes accutronics 4eb2c1b is tops in my book for these amps. You'll find that the long MOD tanks will feed back in the small cab of a classic 30 if you turn them up much. This is just my opinion but tried a lot of different tanks and ended up coming back to the stock tank because in the end it sounded the best and was was the most versatile of them all. Now reverb pedals are a different story!

Mudcat

Post by Mudcat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:11 am

I put a 9EB2C1B long three spring tank in my vintage C30 and must agree that feedback can be a problem when cranked up past half. I also have a Red Fang installed with a much larger alnico magnet that sticks out further reward than a ceramic and I think that adds to my woes. You will get much richer reverb than stock at the lower settings. Tanks are cheap at $20 so try a couple out and see.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:22 am

The primary reason I replaced my Accutronics were that one was dead and the other had a thin, high, tinny kind of tone to it, like something was wrong with the transducers. Mod tanks just happened to be what they had for a decent price at my supplier. I was kind of surprised that I much preferred the shorter tanks in my C50s. The long two spring tank is OK, but a bit too wet for my tastes.

Mudcat

Post by Mudcat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:51 pm

...Sloooow day at work I believe the clock has stopped.

This is the tank I installed. The black MOD is new and the Sound Enhancements tank is what came out of the amp. Found out some interesting stuff about Sound Enhancements.

HISTORY
The origins of Sound Enhancement Products, Inc. started at the Hammond Organ Company,
where spring reverb was developed into a popular guitar amplifier function. The names
changed from Hammond, Accutronics, Gibbs, OC Electronics, Sound Enhancements and
Ultimately Sound Enhancement Products, Inc. In 1989, the Morley® trade name was
acquired from Tel-Ray Electronics in Hollywood, CA. In January 1990, Accutronics, Inc.
moved its Reverb and Morley® divisions into a separate facility in Cary, IL. In May 1991, the
Reverb and Morley® divisions of Accutronics® were incorporated into the entity, Sound
Enhancements, Inc. In 1999, Sound Enhancements became a member of the Stainless
Industrial Company. In 2001, Sound Enhancements, Inc. acquired Ebtech®. As of August
2005, the company name was changed to Sound Enhancement Products, Inc and is
currently an independently owned company. In June of 2009, the Accutronics® reverb was
sold, leaving Ebtech® and Morley® as the sole manufactured brands.
Attachments
Reverbs top.JPG
Reverbs top.JPG (32.87 KiB) Viewed 7766 times
Reverbs bottom.JPG
Reverbs bottom.JPG (37.57 KiB) Viewed 7766 times
Reverb marking.JPG
Reverb marking.JPG (26.73 KiB) Viewed 7766 times

ggking

Post by ggking » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks...is three springs really any better than two. I understand that eleven is one louder, is three one reverb-y-er?

Mudcat

Post by Mudcat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Read this it helps.

Reverb explained

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_cor ... d_compared

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:39 pm

This description from the bottom of that page says it well:
Three Springs vs. Two Springs

Any amp using a two spring tank may have its tank replaced by a three spring tank of the same impedance code (for example, 4AB3C1B vs.9AB3C1B) and vice versa. This will also change the sound characteristics of the reverberation effect. Three spring tanks have a more smoothed out flutter with a bigger, fuller sounding reverb effect and more lows. Two spring tanks have more flutter and grit, they also seem to capture that vintage 1960s vibe better.

Mudcat

Post by Mudcat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:25 am

Tribal wisdom suggests that the Accutronics tank is superior to the MOD. It's is discussed here.

http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39859

Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:24 pm

A few years back I built a "Twin" clone, and spent a little time trying out reverb tanks. I had a 60's Gibbs 4AB2C1B, a new USA Accutronics 9AB3C1B, a Mod 4AB3C1B, and a Belton 4AB2C1B. All worked fine, with no noise issues from any, but I prefer, (and installed) the Mod tank. I know everybody's perception varies!
mudcat, I always thought OC was a separate entity acquired by Accutronics when there was a need for shorter tanks. They were 3 spring "Z" units, "Made by beautiful Wisconsin girls".

Mudcat

Post by Mudcat » Mon May 04, 2015 8:15 am

The history posted above is a cut and paste from the Sound Enhancements site. Post any pictures you may have of "....beautiful Wisconsin girls". :lol:

Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore » Mon May 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Here is a cut and paste from the history of Accutronics:
By 1964, the increasingly busy Hammond Organ Company had run out of room to produce the reverb units. So Hammond moved production to another Hammond-owned unit, Gibbs Manufacturing, in Janesville, Wisconsin. In 1971, the reverb business moved again to another Hammond unit, Accutronics, in Geneva, Illinois. Meanwhile, employees at Gibbs decided to start making their own reverb manufacturing company called O.C. Electronics, giving Accutronics major competition in the reverb market. Many service technicians still recall O.C. Electronics because of the popular sticker attached to each of their units stating: Made by Beautiful Woman in Janesville, Wisconsin.

In 1974, Accutronics, still a division of Hammond Organ, acquired a printed circuit boards maker in Cary, Illinois, which was renamed Accutronics. Meanwhile in1977, Hammond Organ became a member of the Marmon Group of companies, a Chicago-based association of manufacturing and service companies. In 1982, the two operations were combined in the Cary plant. By this time, the reverb units were beginning to be known as the Accutronics Reverb and the founder of O.C. Electronics was getting ready to retire. In late 1985, Accutronics acquired O.C., once again uniting the two companies trained in the design and manufacture of the original Hammond reverb units.
Last edited by Bill Moore on Tue May 05, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon May 04, 2015 8:40 pm

I like to get my surf on from time to time and for me the medium decay 17" accutronics tank just does it so well. I need to hear that drip. From my experience the 3 spring tanks don't drip. I've never tried a mod 2 spring tank though. For me it must drip.