History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
studiodtk5

Re: History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

Post by studiodtk5 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:42 am

GennyFan wrote: LBNL, Due to cosmetics, I like the name "Codpiece Bandit" for the most recent Bandit, but is there another name besides "the latest" or "Codpiece" that can be used to describe this version? Any reason why we should NOT call it the Codpiece Bandit?
Not being from Middle ages England, I had to look up "Codpiece". Not sure I would go with that description. I thought it was generally reffered to as Mudflap logo.

I personally think the most recent look is horrible. The metal logo plate with exposed screws. The white square patter on the grille cloth. The verticle aluminum accents. And excuss me for this one, but the horrible cheap Chinese tolex. I can tell that stuff a mile away. All in all to me the aesthetics lack any cohessiveness and direction. A general hodge podge of ideas half heartily executed. It appears not sure if it wants to be retro, metal, or new wave. I say try again, and this time make it in USA.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

drummer5359

Post by drummer5359 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Great research, I figured that this would be a great place to insert a photo of "silver stripe" Bandit and matching extention cabinet. (I love this amp.)

Note the US made Predator in front of it.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:09 pm

studiodtk5 wrote:Not being from Middle ages England, I had to look up "Codpiece". Not sure I would go with that description. I thought it was generally reffered to as Mudflap logo.
The Mudflap Girl is the Mudflap logo...

I'm going with Cyclops these days... But for the reasons you mentioned, Codpiece is still a tempting alternative! :P
drummer5359 wrote:Great research, I figured that this would be a great place to insert a photo of "silver stripe" Bandit and matching extention cabinet. (I love this amp.)

Note the US made Predator in front of it.

Sweet! That's my favorite flavor Bandit! I guarantee that in another 30 years, these things will still be around and working... I'm not so sure about myself! Metal corners, metal input jacks, and super simple internal construction. I only have one Silver Stripe Bandit, but I'm in the market for another! :oops:

ps. Nice finish on that Predator too!

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:08 pm

GennyFan wrote:
studiodtk5 wrote:Not being from Middle ages England, I had to look up "Codpiece". Not sure I would go with that description. I thought it was generally reffered to as Mudflap logo.
The Mudflap Girl is the Mudflap logo...

I'm going with Cyclops these days... But for the reasons you mentioned, Codpiece is still a tempting alternative! :P

I stand corrected. I was not aware of that...
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

oldmark

Post by oldmark » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:57 am

Classic30inCincy wrote:1885 :?: :oops:

Before Electric :!: :oops:

How Dat Work :?: :shock: :lol:

It ran on gas and had a pilot light...

;)

(I recently got a Bandit 75 watt that was just gone over by a tech when I bought it...sounds great and it is very LOUD!!!!!)

mark
"I'm glad to be here.....on earth." Les Paul, at age 90.
Just give me one good reason why you are so irrational...

mikeyb1860

Post by mikeyb1860 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:49 pm

I have a Bandit Silver Stripe, and by far it is the best amp I ever owned. My problem is that I don't have a users manual for it. Can anybody recommend a link to a manual for that particular model?

Box

Post by Box » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:08 pm

mikeyb1860 wrote:I have a Bandit Silver Stripe, and by far it is the best amp I ever owned. My problem is that I don't have a users manual for it. Can anybody recommend a link to a manual for that particular model?
Here ya go: http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... 302302.pdf
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

swcoburn

Post by swcoburn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Could some you Bandit fans please explain the function of the power amp in and preamp out on the back of my "teal stripe"? Also do they still make the Scorpion speaker for this amp? I let a buddy use it for a while it he blew it right out (somehow)! Would love to get it back to original. Always liked that silver outline of speaker through the grill.just sets it off 8) !

Box

Post by Box » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:46 am

swcoburn wrote:Could some you Bandit fans please explain the function of the power amp in and preamp out on the back of my "teal stripe"? Also do they still make the Scorpion speaker for this amp? I let a buddy use it for a while it he blew it right out (somehow)! Would love to get it back to original. Always liked that silver outline of speaker through the grill.just sets it off 8) !
That's an effects loop. And here you go: http://www.peavey.com/products/speakers ... 258Ohm.cfm
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

swcoburn

Post by swcoburn » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks Box,would you know if both front and back could be used at the same time and why would they call the jacks in the rear something different?

Box

Post by Box » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:59 am

Imagine could use both at the same time. But since it has an effects loop on the front the power amp out would be for connecting to a mixer, recorder, etc... and the input for anything you'd want to go straight to the power amp.
I Peavey________
Ensoniq VFX
Korg Monotron
Korg Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KM802
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:21 am

Favorite Cyclops? I know this is a Peavey forum, but try not to be biased! :lol: :P :mrgreen:

snappyharrison

Post by snappyharrison » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:55 pm

I bought a Peavy Bandit 65 back in the 80's. I wrote Peavy about the amp. They wrote me back, dated 1-24-1985. Seems like it was on a "real" typewriter!
I have since traded out that Bandit but now have a Bandit 112. It says "patents applied for". Don't have the amp in front of me but I want to find out more about the manufacture date and so on...
It is a "silver-stripe"
Last edited by snappyharrison on Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Description Of "Cosmetics" = Main Identifier

Add Pic's :idea:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

davo

Post by davo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:04 am

Ok Mega informative thanks to all with knowledge and experience on this - big respect. Have loved peavey amps for ages and have had a studio pro 110 teal stripe for a few years, totally rocks for most gigs but... little speaker and though rated at 65W just not moving enough air in the garageheavymetal environment, not where I spend much of my musical time but variety is the spice of life. Anyway wanted something just a little bit bigger sound-wise so picked up a 50w Bandit solo from a 2nd hand shop part trade for a Rage158 redstripe for $150. Here in Australia old Peaveys are are little less common always cost more than US prices and I was definitely wanting a made in USA one. Reverb issues but thanks to informative video (yo respect!) no longer a prob and this is a LOUD amp. Has to be 30 years old. Yes sounds the real deal - but what with the footswitch? No f/s came with the unit and OK it seems default setting with no f/s is in lead/saturation mode - is there a way around this to get clean mode as default? and peavey footswitches are rarer than hens teeth over here what is a recommended substitute,fix, kludge, anything?