History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
phreddybee

Re: History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

Post by phreddybee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:29 am

i am looking to add a bandit to my collection. this is good information. is there a place that shows pictures of the various bandits over the years? that would help when looking thru ads for used ones.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Look at eBay photo's........

Bandits easy to recognize:

1) BlackFace / SilverStripe TransTube Bandit (Mid to Late 90's)

2) Red Stripe TransTube Bandit 112 Combo (Early to Mid 2000's)

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:10 pm

And the earlier Bandit and Bandit Solo Series have the multi colored knobs and the two aluminum strips on the speaker cloth.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

light01

Post by light01 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 am

Great work on the history man!
very interesting :)

Thank you for sharing!

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:54 pm

phreddybee wrote:...is there a place that shows pictures of the various bandits over the years? that would help when looking thru ads for used ones.
When available, I included links to the manuals on the first page with the descriptions. I believe that all of the manuals have pics.
Last edited by GennyFan on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

txflood

Post by txflood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:57 pm

I am curious if folks that are familiar with all of these models have a favorite and why.

I watched this video today where the guy owns the red stripe Bandit but prefers his buddy's cyclops model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6suPzvUzxU

The blues tones he is getting sound pretty darn good to me.

One of his red stripe videos is here (must be Chinese with 'Designed in USA') but its Epi Les Paul vs Telecaster in first video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lPCEAd8WY

and an older video here with a Strat and red stripe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSe5CppUf8

triguy

Post by triguy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:09 pm

txflood wrote:I am curious if folks that are familiar with all of these models have a favorite and why.

[/url]
I've said this elsewhere on the forum, but for me all the models do a great clean and crunch. I think the later models are better with higher gain tones. Overall, I think each new version gets a little better (some others here prefer certain older models). I have the Red Stripe and really like it. I've tried the latest model and I think it's a tiny bit better, but not enough to make me sell mine and get one.

So all things being equal, I'd suggest getting the most recent model you can. But since cost is usually not equal, you have to decide whether it's worth a few more dollars to get a little newer model. As cheap as Bandits are, I think it's worth a few more bucks to get the newest model you can. Also, if US made is important to you, you wouldn't go any later than the Red Stripe, some of which are US and some not. We can help you tell the difference if you want.

Triguy

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:53 am

GennyFan wrote:Favorite Cyclops? I know this is a Peavey forum, but try not to be biased! :lol: :P :mrgreen:
We've all heard of one armed bandits... Now we've got one eyed Bandits! :? :oops: :lol:

One more that needs to get added to the family collection:
UncleSyclops.jpg
UncleSyclops.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 12208 times

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:46 am

Due to the recent forum server upgrade, the manual links weren't displaying correctly. I went through and updated the links with the correct URLs...

I'm still looking for a scanned manual to an original Solo Series! Send me a message or an email if you've got one!

The Bandit

Solo Series Bandit (manual not available... Send me a message if you have one you can scan!)

Solo Series Bandit 65

Solo Series Bandit 75

Solo Series Bandit 112

Transtube Series Bandit 112

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in USA

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China

Peavey Bandit with Transtube Technology

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Was searching for additional information on the Bandit and I found this post by Mike Brown over at the now closed Steel Guitar Forum... It has some good information about the variations of Bandit 112 introduced in 1989. Not sure whether I should edit my original post to incorporate the info, but I can at least include it here:

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/002434.html
On May 14, 2002, Mike Brown wrote:The original Peavey Bandit prototype had the name "Bandit" screened on the faceplate with a gun holster, which was removed for the first production run. The operating guide for the original Bandit was copywritten 1980.

The Bandit 65 came next. It "looked" similar, but the POST GAIN control on the original Bandit effect both the LEAN and NORMAL channels. On the '65' version, this control effected the level of the NORMAL channel. The PRE and POST controls on the LEAD channel effected the LEAD channel only.
This operating guide is copywritten in 1985.

The next version was the Bandit 75. This amp incorporated an effects insert point and our patented SUPERSAT circuit as well as the increased 75 watt rating.

The next version was the Bandit 112 which featured 4 band eq on the NORMAL channel and 2 band eq(Bottom and edge) on the LEAD channel.

In 1989, we introduced a new Bandit 112, which we refer to as the '89 version. On this version, the teal blue artwork was incorporated into the cosmetic look and 3 band voicing controls(as opposed to 2 band)were incorporated into the LEAD channel. This version was introduced in November of 1989.

In 1992, the cosmetic look of the Bandit changed with the addition of the double wall cabinet and the "speckled" covering material. This operating guide was copywritten in 1992. This version incorporated our Sheffield speaker.

In 1995, the Bandit 112S "Transtube" series was introduced. This model also used our Sheffield speakers as well as our patented Transtube circuit.

Our latest Transtube Bandit II incorporated a completely new cosmetic look as well as voicing switches on each channel, which provides additional tonal flexibility. This is the model that we ship at this time.

My personal opinion is that our latest Bandit version is far advanced that its "predecessor" Transtube Bandit. This model has been our flagship amp for many years and it sells extremely well. Portable, powerful and lightweight and that's what all players look for these days in an amp model.

Check it out at your local Peavey dealer. Here's a link to our dealer locator from our website;http://www.peavey.com/support/dealerlocator/

Mike Brown (2002)
Peavey Electronics Corporation

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Thank you GennyFan,
Your Bandit efforts here are much appreciated. BTW, Steel Guitar Forum is still alive and well.
Last edited by tele twister on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:26 pm

leftybob wrote:I have the '89-90's green stripe solo and I went inside the other day to spray clean the pots and things. They have 2 sockets for Op-amp RC4558P and RC4558 ... so technically you could switch these around and maybe get some different gain structures ... food for thought .. {P.S... I tried it, it sucked, leave it alone, just got noisier and more hiss ....}
Since they are in sockets, I'd find some low noise, rail-to-rail modern versions to substitute for those.
Peavey Transformer 112 (2) and 212.
Peavey Generation EXP

higonzilla

Post by higonzilla » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:14 pm

GennyFan wrote:I thought I posted this already, but I can't find it, so here it is again, with some slight updates. If you see anything that needs correcting, or if you would like to add additional information, please feel free to do so.

***History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit***

The Bandit

(1980) The very first Bandit was only made for one year. As subsequent versions became available, the original Bandit came to be known as the "Gunsmoke Bandit" because the font used to silkscreen the logo on the front of the amp resembled the font used in the opening credits of the popular 60's television show, Gunsmoke. The Gunsmoke Bandit was made in Meridian Mississippi USA and had a power rating of 50 watts RMS. It came equipped from the factory with a 12" guitar speaker made for Peavey by Eminence.

Solo Series Bandit (manual not available... Send me a message if you have one you can scan!)

(1981-1983) The Solo Series Bandit soon followed the Gunsmoke Bandit and incorporated a variety of improvements, most notably a much improved sound. The Solo Series Bandit was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 65

(1983-1987) With the Solo Series Bandit 65, large improvements in tone compared to the previous version were again realized and the power rating was increased to 65 watts RMS. The Bandit 65 was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 75

(1987-1989) The Solo Series Bandit 75 saw the power increase by 10 watts to 75 watts RMS and a Bright Switch was added. The Bandit 75 was made in Meridian MS USA and came equipped with Peavey's proprietary guitar speaker, the Scorpion.

Solo Series Bandit 112

(1989-1995) The Solo Series Bandit 112 introduced many new features, the most notable being an increase in power to 80 watts RMS and a choice between Peavey's Scorpion speaker and Peavey's newly introduced Sheffield speaker. Many of the innovations that would later be branded as "Transtube" were included in the Solo Series Bandit 112, but the name "Transtube" had not been adopted yet. There have been several different versions of the Solo Series Bandit 112 but they all share the same manual and the same control layout. One of the more popular variations is known as the "Teal Stripe" or "Blue Stripe" Bandit due to a blue horizontal stripe below the control panel. The Solo Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA.

Transtube Series Bandit 112

(1995-1999) The Transtube Series Bandit 112 formally introduced Peavey's proprietary "Transtube" technology that allows a solid state amplifier to perform more like a vacuum tube amplifier. Central to the Transtube concept is a patented "power brake" that allows the user to control the amount of power required for dynamic range compression from the power amp, from 100% all the way down to 10%, thus enabling the amplifier to acheive power amp compression without running at full volume. The Transtube Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA and came stock with the Sheffield 1230 speaker. Notably, it was also the first Bandit to have an external speaker jack, allowing external speakers to be run instead of or in parallel with the internal speaker. Running into 8 ohms, power is still 80 watts RMS, but running into 4 ohms (the equivalent of using the internal 8 ohm speaker together with an 8 ohm extension speaker) the power is increased to 100 watts RMS. Due to the horizontal strip of chrome underneath the controls, this version is commonly referred to as the "Silver Stripe" Bandit, but due to the black color and square shape, it is sometimes called the "Blackbox" Bandit (not to be confused with "Blackface", which refers to Fender products and/or performances in the style of Al Jolson...)

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in USA

(2000-2004) With the Transtube Series II, the metal corners and input jacks that had been standard on all Peavey Bandits up until this time were replaced by plastic corners and plastic jacks. Due to a color scheme incorporating a red stripe across the front of the amplifier, many people refer to the Transtube Series II Bandit as the "Redstripe Bandit". During this time Peavey attempted to adopt a new company logo, and moved away from their traditional "pointy" logo. The new logo came to be known as the "Block Logo". The Block Logo was only used for a limited period of time, and the Block Logo Redstripe Bandits represent the last Peavey Bandits to be made in the USA.

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China

(2004-2005) This amp is cosmetically nearly identical to the USA version, so it is also referred to as "Redstripe Bandit", but there are several differences between the US built Redstripes and the Chinese ones. First, the Chinese version says, "Designed in the USA" on the front, while the actual USA version says "Designed and Made in the USA". Second, the speaker in the Chinese version is either unlabelled, or is labelled "Blue Marvel", a Peavey code for speakers made outside of Peavey and then rebranded as Peavey. All of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped from the factory with US made Sheffield 1230 speakers. Another obvious difference is that all Chinese Redstripe Bandits have the "pointy logo", while most - but not all - of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped with Block Logos.

Peavey Bandit with Transtube Technology

(2006-current) The current version of the Bandit is made in China. It is the first Bandit to incorporate a "simulated output" for recording purposes. This simulated output runs independently of the amp's internal speaker, allowing silent recording. The simulated output can also be used instead of or in addition to a traditional microphone. In this version the spring reverb has been replaced by a digital reverb circuit, and the 10% to 100% T. Dynamics knob is replaced by a 3-way switch, allowing operation at 25%, 50%, and 100% power. Metal corners are reintroduced, but the footswitch is no longer included with the amp and must be purchased separately. Due to the new oval logo that resembles an eye, this model is sometimes referred to as the "Cyclops" Bandit.
Brilliant! Love this history, will help me in my search for that right Bandit.
Blues, rockabilly, classic rock

Classic 20
TNT 115 S
Rage 158
Predator Plus
Milestone III

Digitech RP255, Blackout Effectors Fixed Fuzz, MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive, Zoom MS-70CDR

markleehunter

Post by markleehunter » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:59 am

Great thread. I haven't been using my Bandit 75 lately, it's more power than I need. (In fact, it's relegated to backup for a Red Stripe SP112). The thread reminded me how well-equipped this amp is - effects loop, supersat, bright switch... . Gonna go back to it today. Thanks GennyFan!
PS: The Cyclops Envoy 110 has voicing controls on clean and lead channels too, and I agree that it's a really great feature, especially for live performance. Peavey, Made to be Playde.
"The slide is my ride."
Peavey Gear: Red Stripe Studio Pro 112 (with Bugera Vintage speaker), Valveking Royal 8 (with Celestion Tube 10), Bandit 75 (with Jensen Mod 12/70), Dirty Dog.

ClaudeBenjamin

Post by ClaudeBenjamin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:57 am

Can't thank you enough for this history, really good information for us "bandit-holics!"
Peavey Classic 50 Head w/80's Peavey MS412 Cab
Peavey Bandit Transtube II (Red Stripe, USA) + matching extension cab