Peavey Stereo Chorus 212

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Bellzemos

Re: Peavey Stereo Chorus 212

Post by Bellzemos » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:42 am

Thank you very much for clearing this up, I will try it today! My S.C. has a master volume, maybe that will help to adjust the volume. If you or anyone else know the answers to my other questions up there, please do tell. Thank you!

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:06 am

My SC212 doesn't have the master volume. With that you should be able to set the levels correctly.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

MarkNZ

Post by MarkNZ » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Bellzemos wrote:I managed to open up the footswitch but can't see what could be wrong...
I had same/similar problem with SC 212 (same model with master volume) footswitch, but with the chorus switch. (LED worked, but it didn't switch)
Check out continuity between switch and cable/plug, and that terminal pins in the plug are aligned - not pushed in.
Good luck - as I'm sorry to say that in my case it was the surface-mount socket on the circuit board of the amp that was the problem. They have solid copper connectors from the socket to the board, and probably the plug/cable had been pulled hard sideways, and one of the solid connectors broke (from pin #7 in this case). I was able to solder a wire from the socket to a jumper wire on the top of the board, so a "quick fix" was possible (this might not be possible if a different pin has broken), but to fix it properly the socket should really be replaced, which would mean disassembling the amp to get at the under-side of the board. Not a DIY job unless you know what you're doing.

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:22 am

I got my footswitch to a amp tech and he repaired it. Now the button works but the LED doesn't. But that doesn't matter to me. The problem is, when I switch form lead channel to clean a loud BOOM is heard from the amp, is that normal? I mean, does your SC212 respond that way too? This is only heard if a tone or chord is played when switching from lead to clean - if the guitar is quiet then no BOOM is heard. What do you think?

jimdep

Post by jimdep » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Bellzemos wrote:I got my footswitch to a amp tech and he repaired it. Now the button works but the LED doesn't. But that doesn't matter to me. The problem is, when I switch form lead channel to clean a loud BOOM is heard from the amp, is that normal? I mean, does your SC212 respond that way too? This is only heard if a tone or chord is played when switching from lead to clean - if the guitar is quiet then no BOOM is heard. What do you think?
NOT normal for a SC 212. I'm sure someone qualified can help pinpoint what the cause may be. Did you try a different guitar or adjust the pick up height?

I'm curious about your footswitch repair. How come he didn't fix the LED? To me, that's a big deal.

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes, I too don't think it's normal. Do you think I can damage the amp if I keep on switching channel?

The LED was working until he repaired it. Now the button works but the LED doesn't. I only gave him the FSW, I didn't bring the amp because SC212 is heavy as f***.

I should probably tell my amp tech about the booming noise.

jimdep

Post by jimdep » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Bellzemos wrote:Yes, I too don't think it's normal. Do you think I can damage the amp if I keep on switching channel?

The LED was working until he repaired it. Now the button works but the LED doesn't. I only gave him the FSW, I didn't bring the amp because SC212 is heavy as f***.

I should probably tell my amp tech about the booming noise.
If that was happening with more than one guitar on mine, I'd take it to a tech before using it again.

Good luck!

MarkNZ

Post by MarkNZ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:49 pm

I agree - it could do damage. Sounds like the "tech" has rewired the switch incorrectly, perhaps putting the 2V or so for the LED back up the signal line.
If you want, I can take the back off an SC212 footswitch I've got here, and post photos. I think the pin configuration is on this site somewhere. If not, I can probably post that here as well.
But I still think the original problem won't be in the switch, but in either the plug, or quite likely the socket in the amp.
Yes - the SC212 is quite heavy, but not more than most valve 2x12 combos. I thought it was about 60 lb / 28kg.

Bellzemos

Post by Bellzemos » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Thank you, please upload the photo if you will.

MarkNZ

Post by MarkNZ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 pm

There's photo of the back of the pedal, and schematic.
Wire colours on the unit we have here
Pin 1 - White (bypass/clean)
Pin 2 Yellow (lead/crunch)
Pin 3 Black (earth)
Pin 4 shield - not insulated (earth)
Pin 5 Red #1 (+ voltage to pedal)
Pin 6 Green (reverb)
Pin 7 Red #2 (chorus)

I say "Red # 1 and Red # 2 above, as the colours are not very different - not "red" and "orange", so could be easy to get wrong if re-soldering the plug etc.
The above schematic does not show the second LED for lead/crunch switch which is shown in the photo. That's a mystery.

jimdep

Post by jimdep » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:10 am

Wow, that's great! I'm going to keep this as a reference for mine if I ever need it.

Commodore 64

Post by Commodore 64 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:19 pm

There's one of these on my local CL for $99. I already have a black box TT Bandit and a Classic 30. I can't figure out what I'd do with a SC, but it's still tempting.

jimdep

Post by jimdep » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:02 pm

Commodore 64 wrote:There's one of these on my local CL for $99. I already have a black box TT Bandit and a Classic 30. I can't figure out what I'd do with a SC, but it's still tempting.
I have the teal SC 212 with the Scorpions, and a Delta Blues. Sometimes it's hard for me to decide which one to play through. The SC has a huge sound with the 2/12's and the onboard effects are really nice. For $99, I'd grab it, if it's in good shape.

Gatzmer

Post by Gatzmer » Fri May 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Bellzemos wrote:Thank you so much for your help!

My Peavey Bandit 112 is 80W. Twice the power (loudness) will be enough for my band practice I think. Bandit was always lacking some more, if I turned the volume over 6 (lead channel) the sound became muddy.

Surely I will first try the Stereo Chorus, but I already think I will like it a lot! I can use it with my BOSS ME-8 multiefect unit before the input (guitar->boss->peavey), but I'd rather use Peavey's dirty channel for distortion. I'm confused about that Preamp out/Power amp ins on the back of the amp... BOSS ME-8 has one input and two outputs (stereo), so it would be wonderful if I could use via send/return in a stereo way. I guess I'll have to take my effects with me when I'll try the amp and try every possible combination. I can't damage anything if I connect something wrong in the Preamp out/Power amp in section, right?

And another question: is it possible to turn all the integrated effects off (chorus, reverb...), right?
In order for an amplifier to be twice as loud as the 80 watt rms Bandit, or any other amp for that matter, it would have to be in the ballpark of 800 watts rms. More watts usually just adds more headroom. Yes it would be louder, but you will just have more clarity. 100 watt Marshall is not twice as loud as a 50 watt Marshall.

mikerules91

Post by mikerules91 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 pm

WILL the peavey 212 stereo chorus pedal sold on this sight work with ANY peavey stereo chorus 212 amp? ANY help will be VERY appreciated