Triumph 60 head question

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
jestar06

Triumph 60 head question

Post by jestar06 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:38 am

Hi everyone. I have a triumph 60 head, I was wondering what types of tubes does it use? I have 2 Mesa 6L6 GC STR 440 in there and I'm looking at some Groove Tubes GT-6L6B. Are those ok to go in the amp? The pre amp tube is ok however. Also, a fuse blew on the underside of the amp, so I replaced it, but I got the wrong type of fuse...I turned the amp on and after it warmed up there was a flash on the underside of it and it was smoking. Shut it off and saw one of the 6L6s weren't plugged in properly. I figured to give it another shot. This time the was a humming noise coming out of the cab speakers and the one tube started to get bright very quickly. Has anyone had this happen to them? anyone know if the amp is trash or not? Couldn't see any burn marks or any damage...any help would be appreciated, please no flaming, I need some help not insults. Thanks everyone!

skynyrd

Re: Triumph 60 head question

Post by skynyrd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 am

Sounds like you put a bigger fuse back in than you should have, anytime a fuse blows theres a reason why it did. Peavey sets their amps up with the fuses like they do as safetys for the amp. Putting a tube in wrong happens you just have to make sure you put the tab in the right spot. Sounds like you need to take your amp to a tech, you could have issues created by the wrong fuse now. Once the tube issue is fixed you can run any 6L6 tube in the amp you want.

jestar06

Re: Triumph 60 head question

Post by jestar06 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:46 am

hi thanks for replying. I know why the fuse blew, there was an exposed wire in the footswitch and my friend moved it and thats when it blew. So we took apart the footswitch and redid all the wiring so that won't be happening again lol. I'll have to check out repair shops in the area. Thank you