buying new speakers which one is best

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
nagnuggets

buying new speakers which one is best

Post by nagnuggets » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:14 am

I'm getting new speakers and I'm thinking between wgs et65, veteran 30, or reaper 55hz.. I have a peavey ultra plus head. I play mostly metalcore/deathcore type of music.. My amp is 120 and can be switch to 60 watts as well.. I mainly use the 60 watts.. Which speaker would be the better fit for my playing style.. I like them all, the reaper 55hz sounds amazing.. But would it sound good with high gain/ watts amps.. Since they are only 30 watts.. I have. 4X12 cab I will be putting these in.. Should u get all the same speaker or mix and match them. All opinions would be awesome
ESP/LTD MH-50
IBANEZ ART100 SERIES with SD PUPS
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus
4X12 loaded w/WGS SPEAKERS ET65 AND REAPER..

pvholic

Re: buying new speakers which one is best

Post by pvholic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 am

Check these out. There is no best one. You may as well ask, "Which car should I buy" only your ears will know that. Putting a 30 watts speaker with 120 watt amp is not a good idea.

SEE: http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/

You can find one that will match your playing style. Enjoy.
" I Play Peavey..............or I DON'T Play!!! "

Charlie

nagnuggets

Post by nagnuggets » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:38 am

pvholic wrote:Check these out. There is no best one. You may as well ask, "Which car should I buy" only your ears will know that. Putting a 30 watts speaker with 120 watt amp is not a good idea.

SEE: http://www.eminence.com/guitar-bass/

You can find one that will match your playing style. Enjoy.
so if i get 2 reapers @ 30 watts, and 2 et65 @ 60 watts and me running my amp on 60 watts isnt good???? hows that... jsut wanderng.. isnt it better to have lower watt speakers so they can actually be pushed by the amp..?????
ESP/LTD MH-50
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus

ramblin390

Post by ramblin390 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Buscarino Strat/Peavey Firenza P-90-BBE Wah-Mi Audio Blues Pro-OCD V4-MXR 6 EQ-MXR Tc Electronic Corona + Flashback-Peavey Classic 30 Head-Avatar 2x12 cab.

thunda

Post by thunda » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:43 pm

mixing speakers is ok, but you should make sure that the spl ratings of each are very close to each other, or you are likely to only hear the one with the higher rating. You wouldn't want to put one rated at 100 spl with one rated at 94, for example.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

nagnuggets

Post by nagnuggets » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 pm

thunda wrote:mixing speakers is ok, but you should make sure that the spl ratings of each are very close to each other, or you are likely to only hear the one with the higher rating. You wouldn't want to put one rated at 100 spl with one rated at 94, for example.
reaper is 99 and the et65 is 98... so is this close enough????
ESP/LTD MH-50
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 pm

nagnuggets wrote:reaper is 99 and the et65 is 98... so is this close enough????
Maybe... Could be, but you never really know until you try it. Interesting that both Warehouse and Eminence are both in Kentucky. How close are you to their respective factories? Try contacting the manufactures and see what they recommend. That should make your choice easy. Then you can just order from the company that listens to your concerns and treats you most like a valued customer. :idea:

nagnuggets

Post by nagnuggets » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:14 pm

GennyFan wrote:
nagnuggets wrote:reaper is 99 and the et65 is 98... so is this close enough????
Maybe... Could be, but you never really know until you try it. Interesting that both Warehouse and Eminence are both in Kentucky. How close are you to their respective factories? Try contacting the manufactures and see what they recommend. That should make your choice easy. Then you can just order from the company that listens to your concerns and treats you most like a valued customer. :idea:
im about 5-6 hrs from both places.. i am going to try them out.. and if they dont sound right ill go and get something else or the same thing.. was wanting to get veteran 30 and et 65 but my locate shop didnt have the et65.. plus everyone ive talked to locally uses WGS and says the reaper is freakin amazing, for all types of music.. so well see.. ill let you know..
ESP/LTD MH-50
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus

thunda

Post by thunda » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:05 pm

nagnuggets wrote:
thunda wrote:mixing speakers is ok, but you should make sure that the spl ratings of each are very close to each other, or you are likely to only hear the one with the higher rating. You wouldn't want to put one rated at 100 spl with one rated at 94, for example.
reaper is 99 and the et65 is 98... so is this close enough????
you should not hear much (if any) difference when they are that close

nagnuggets

Post by nagnuggets » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 pm

alright guys wgs speakers are amazing... so much more clear than my eminence.. the reaper is an awesome speaker... the et 65 and reaper sound great together.. can wait until i get 2 more of each
ESP/LTD MH-50
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:29 pm

I like mixing speakers. I have a tx super forty with the stock speaker and added a second 1x15 cab with a Weber ceramic California it really filled out what was missing! I run a little Vox Nighttrain and my JSX Mini with a 2 x 12 cab loaded with a Weber silver bell and blue dog both 15 watts ceramic. One thing to keep in mind whatever the amp take it's highest power and make sure your cab is at least 1.5 times the wattage to be safe. A lot of amps are rated with the clean power and when pushed a tube amp will put out as much as 1.5 times the rated power, example my 120 watt xxx head could put out as much as 180watts when really wound up. I've never had a cab blow yet. Power is additive just add all the speakers up for the total power the cab can handle. My 2x12 with 15 watt speakers is a 30 watt cab. I'm glad your speakers are working out for you!
Creativity is doing something weird and finding out others like it!

(heart) le Peavey

Post by (heart) le Peavey » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41 am

Bertotti wrote:Power is additive just add all the speakers up for the total power the cab can handle.
Minor correction - total power handling depends on the lowest individual capability, if impedances match. 2 x ET65 (65W ea) + 2 x Reaper 55hz (30W ea) = 120W total. More than that and you risk blowing the Reapers.

nagnuggets

Post by nagnuggets » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:58 pm

(heart) le Peavey wrote:
Bertotti wrote:Power is additive just add all the speakers up for the total power the cab can handle.
Minor correction - total power handling depends on the lowest individual capability, if impedances match. 2 x ET65 (65W ea) + 2 x Reaper 55hz (30W ea) = 120W total. More than that and you risk blowing the Reapers.
even if i leave my amp on the 60 watts output???? i never put it on the 120watts.. i always leave it on 60.. the highest i i have my master volume is 4-5 and crunch/ultra volume at 2.. this will not hurt my reapers will it?????
ESP/LTD MH-50
esp/ltd ec-1000 deluxe
Peavey ultra plus

thunda

Post by thunda » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 pm

With your application, 120 watts will be safe. Again, whatever the rating of your lowest wattage speaker is, multiply that by the number of speakers you are using and that will give you the max power rating. One 30 watt speaker = 30 watts. One 30 watter and one 60 watter = 60 watts. two 30 watters and two 100 watters = 120 watts. Get the picture?

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Wow that is news to me! But cool!
Creativity is doing something weird and finding out others like it!