VALVEKING TIPS TRICKS AND MODS

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
toddler68

Re: VALVEKING TIPS TRICKS AND MODS

Post by toddler68 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:00 pm

I read somewhere that the reverb tank is supposed to be loose... that along with the rubber grommets, being loose further isolates it from sound vibrations. Is this the case, or should I crank those babies down?
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

Tedzomplin

Post by Tedzomplin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Yeah,use a torque wrench set to 85lbs of torque,then weld them...... ? :shock:
Either that or go back and read through this thread.You decide.

guitarman59

Post by guitarman59 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:02 pm

toddler68 wrote:I read somewhere that the reverb tank is supposed to be loose... that along with the rubber grommets, being loose further isolates it from sound vibrations. Is this the case, or should I crank those babies down?
I think you read it here on this thread.

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php? ... 747#p19747

3120, 6534+, JSX 120, Invective 120, XXX 120
2008 HP Special USA FT Moonburst
2010 HP Special USA FT Black
20XX JF-1 Sunburst
2006 HP Special CT Tobacco Burst
2002 Wolfgang Special QT Emerald Green
2011 ButcherII ,430A's TruSonic 412, 5150 412 B

triguy

Post by triguy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Tedzomplin wrote:Yeah,use a torque wrench set to 85lbs of torque,then weld them...... ? :shock:

Ted -- you are a rapscallion!

Triguy

Tedzomplin

Post by Tedzomplin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Oh...ok.....I'm a gonna haf ta look that one up.....causa me no like rap. :P

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:25 pm

Tedzomplin wrote:Yeah,use a torque wrench set to 85lbs of torque,then weld them...... ? :shock:
I did one better and just ripped it out :lol:
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

guitarman59

Post by guitarman59 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:47 pm

toddler68 wrote:
Howzit sound now :lol: :lol:

3120, 6534+, JSX 120, Invective 120, XXX 120
2008 HP Special USA FT Moonburst
2010 HP Special USA FT Black
20XX JF-1 Sunburst
2006 HP Special CT Tobacco Burst
2002 Wolfgang Special QT Emerald Green
2011 ButcherII ,430A's TruSonic 412, 5150 412 B

70sstrat

Post by 70sstrat » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:09 am

Hi all I was wondering if some one had an opinion on what mod I should do next.
Mods so far: speaker(celestion v12-80), power tubes(TAD).
I use a MXR eq also.
I have tried the dummy plug mod, and the fx loop one.
My list of options: 12at7 in the preamp(and 2 new 12ax7's), bias mod (not sure about this one A) Expensive/ tech required B) even mesa marks are fixed bias), but it makes sense fixed=cold bias=safe=lackluster tone, and the last (neat but technical) option the r100 mod.

So what do you guys n' gals think should go first or are there better options? Also should I be using a distortion pedal? I shy away form them because I never thought much of what it brought to the picture(I've actually put a vintage ts808 JRC 4558D chip and all in font of it.), so if that can't do it what can?(and no the pedal was not mine, it was borrowed).
I asked this on the UG's vk thread and was told if I went through all that I'm never going to be happy with it (I don't think a speaker and power tubes are "all that".) Im going for that early mesa mark kinda sound(stressing kinda). So what's your opinion?

hbucker

Post by hbucker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 am

My honest opinion is that it sounds like you're modding just for the sake of it. In my experience, modding any piece of gear requires a time period of use following the mod in order to find out how much improved (or not) the piece of gear is. Sounds to me like you're just digging in and changing everything that can be changed, assuming that it will be better when you're done. It might be. But it might just be different. Could even be worse. If it is, you'll not know which mod to re-mod in order to get back to the better tone you once had.

IMO. Play with the amp for a while at home, rehearsal, gigs, etc. Only then will you know if you like what you've already done, let alone if you want to mod anything else.

70sstrat

Post by 70sstrat » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 pm

This is over a period of time. The eq came first to see if I didn't need to replace the speaker, then the speaker, then power tubes. It wasn't an al at once thing. The dummy jack and fx loop thing I didn't leave a whole lot of feel out time because I didn't put much stock in it. What I think it needs is different preamp tubes. I did get in a research frenzy so I wanted to know if any of the other mods were worth it. My post did look a bit rambunctious.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:52 pm

I just think that the number one place you START modding is pre amp tubes. They make the biggest difference next to a new speaker. Some people cant hear the difference, they say. That's why Hartley still makes the Bandit. Most can hear the difference. Call me crazy, but if speaker and tubes dont give you what you were looking for, you are looking in the wrong place. You may just have the wrong amp. Then again, it may be a form of gas. If that's true, you cant help yourself, and I understand.
Dalrymple

toddler68

Post by toddler68 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:12 pm

guitarman59 wrote:
toddler68 wrote:
Howzit sound now :lol: :lol:
I was kidding... almost. I only use a hint of reverb most of the time anyway. If someone did rip it out, I probably wouldn't miss it.
5150 Signature head
6505+ head (bias modded)
Schecter C-1 Exotic
ESP LTD EC-500 w/ EMG's

Jason Tyndale

Post by Jason Tyndale » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Welp, I got my VK head back in May *new* and stock it sounded great. The only 'mod' if you wanna call it that is my Mesa Studio Pre... Even without that, the VK still kicks ass.... no mods, nothing... just play with the settings... If you ever owned a Mesa, then you know that after owning it for at least a year, it still hasn't been tweaked fully.. With the Peavey VK, even the slightest highs/lows/mids adjustmest, damping controls, sounds completley different, inside and outside..

go to the grailtone site and check out the settings for the VK... Maybe it will open up a whole new world for you..

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/ ... tings.html

mythiasking

Post by mythiasking » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:56 pm

hay guys first post is there any way to bypass the texture controll circuit just wondering thanks if anyone could help :idea:

triguy

Post by triguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:41 pm

mythiasking wrote:hay guys first post is there any way to bypass the texture controll circuit just wondering thanks if anyone could help :idea:
I'm no tech, but I think if you set the texture all the way to A/B, that would be the same as bypassing it. Anyone else?

Triguy