Peavey Renown blew main power fuse ???

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
bkgardner1981

Peavey Renown blew main power fuse ???

Post by bkgardner1981 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm

I am fixing my peavey Renown 212 and found that there was no continuity across the ceramic fuse so just ordered one to replace it. Im worried that it blew in the first place (was given this amp and dont know the conditions when it blew). I have checked pretty much every connection i could and found no problem with resistance or continuity. I also checked the circuit board as well and all connections are showing continuity. There is one thing i saw, the wires going to the light that used to be there to show power on are shorted together (im assuming the light broke and someone just connected them together). Would this blow the fuse? And also will the amp still function properly with the wires either connected or disconnected? I just dont want to put a new fuse in and cause more damage. Also both transformers are testing good. Anyone have any other suggestions while im waiting for the fuses to show up?

Classic30inCincy

Re: Peavey Renown blew main power fuse ???

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Is The Renown Tube Powered ?

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

bkgardner1981

Post by bkgardner1981 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm

No sir it is solid a state.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Classic30inCincy wrote:Is The Renown Tube Powered ?
No, it's not.

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/man ... 361043.pdf

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 pm

With no fuse and power not applied, how did you test transformers?

If I blow a main fuse, first thing I check for is shorted output transistors. Next, for shorted main rectifiers.

I don't know why someone would short a pilot light or its place. No, that should not be that way. I don't think it would blow main fuses though.

In fact if you had DC on the amp output - as from shorted output transistors - then that output transformer would make fuses blow even though nothing was wring with the transformer itself.

Look up "light bulb limiter" and make one. Simple to do aqnd will protect the amp from damage of repeated fuse blows during test.

bkgardner1981

Post by bkgardner1981 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:55 am

I checked the resistance across the transformer wires (incoming 3-wire, outgoing 3-wire).
Heres how it looked on both (right to middle and left to middle read same resistance. Right to left read higher resistance). I assumed if it was bad or if there was a short. Resistance would be impinged on at least one wire.

Also i just unplugged the pilot light adapter from the circuit board assuming it would still work but yah the wires coming from the adapter look to be dc wires (again im just assuming because the wires look like the wires in a piece of equipment that takes a 9-volt battery). I know sound's kind of dumb but im not the greatest with elctrical stuff. Ironically i run a power plant :lol:

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm

A transformer is many turns of wire around a iron core. You MIGHT detect a GROSS failure with a meter, but all it takes is one winding turn shorting to the next, and your meter would never detect that. Also your meter works on a tiny volt or two, so insulation that breaks down at 100v will never reveal itself. And any winding can short to another winding, plus any winding can short to the frame. Those are just some of the failure mode possibilities. And something like an arc inside is impossible for a meter to detect.

Your transformer has two groups of secondary wires, the reds and the oranges. Disconnect them from the circuit board, and apply mains power to the primary. If it still blows fuses, then the transformer is likely bad. If fuses now hold, check the AC voltages on those secondaries. In all probability, the tranny is OK.

And so far, we have had one open fuse. We don't even know yet that the amp HAS a fuse blowing problem.

bkgardner1981

Post by bkgardner1981 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:45 pm

Okay that actually makes sense to me, we had lots of small shorts on one of our transfomers at my work and never was able to detect them (equipment never actually failed) but on close inspection after life/run change out we opened it up and discovered many problems.

I will definitely try what you said as far as the transformer when i get my fuses.