Any info on the Peavey 412s cabs? Thinking about buying one.

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
lilpendragon

Any info on the Peavey 412s cabs? Thinking about buying one.

Post by lilpendragon » Sun May 01, 2011 11:26 am

Found a 412s cab for $150. It caught my attention because it looks kinda small. I've been looking for some smaller cabs to save my vehicle space when traveling to shows. It doesn't matter if it's heavy (I can only assume it weighs the Peavey minimum 75 pounds) but if it's a smaller cab that'd be awesome. If it's not I'm probably still going to pick it up. It looks like a late 70's early 80's one with the silver stripes down the side. I can't find any info on wattage or speakers or anything anywhere online. I haven't gotten to see it yet. I think it's got scorpions, other than that I'm pretty in the dark.

Anyone that owns one of these cabs, what do you think of them? How do they handle low end? I intend to use it as a guitar cab, haha.

thunda

Re: Any info on the Peavey 412s cabs? Thinking about buying

Post by thunda » Sun May 01, 2011 12:18 pm

I have one loaded with eminence v12 speakers I've been using for years. it came with scorpions originally. it's pretty heavy, I added casters to the bottom. It handles low end quite well; although it's not the bassiest cab I have heard, but it has no fiberfill in it either. With the scorpions it would be rated at 800 watts RMS.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

lilpendragon

Post by lilpendragon » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

thunda wrote:I have one loaded with eminence v12 speakers I've been using for years. it came with scorpions originally. it's pretty heavy, I added casters to the bottom. It handles low end quite well; although it's not the bassiest cab I have heard, but it has no fiberfill in it either. With the scorpions it would be rated at 800 watts RMS.
Are they smaller cabs? The pics I seen make them look small.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sun May 01, 2011 12:27 pm

Yes......

Dimensions can be smaller than current production cabinets.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

lilpendragon

Post by lilpendragon » Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 pm

Cool. I'll probably buy it.

thunda

Post by thunda » Sun May 01, 2011 2:56 pm

lilpendragon wrote:
thunda wrote:I have one loaded with eminence v12 speakers I've been using for years. it came with scorpions originally. it's pretty heavy, I added casters to the bottom. It handles low end quite well; although it's not the bassiest cab I have heard, but it has no fiberfill in it either. With the scorpions it would be rated at 800 watts RMS.
Are they smaller cabs? The pics I seen make them look small.
My Windsor head barely fits on top of it. It's as tall as a regular 4x12, but not quite as wide. It's nowhere near as small as a Marshall MG cab.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

axeinurface

Post by axeinurface » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:32 pm

i bought one from my friend for $100 (actually it was for the cab, an old peavey PA and an EQ- I mainly wanted the cab though). the cab is pretty heavy, i would def recommend casters. but as far as size, it is maybe only an inch less width-wise than my carvin 4x12. the 412s is about an inch deeper too. so, smaller in one aspect but not in another. mine still has the original scorpions in it...if the one you are looking at does too, buy it. they are really good speakers, and from what i know rated as PA speakers. i've used the cab with my guitar as well as my bass too and it worked great...didn't bottom out like most guitar cabs do. def a ballsy cab as far as low end.

ALSO if you do buy it-- when you have a head plugged into it be careful!! the cab input jack has a crappy plastic mount and can break easily...and it is a BITCH to find replacements since it is an older cab (i know from experience).