Thinking of a Vypyr 100

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
mrfritz44

Thinking of a Vypyr 100

Post by mrfritz44 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 pm

A few years ago I bought a Fender Telecaster on the spur of the moment and a Behringer V-Amp2 so I could play it through a 5.1 computer sound system. One set of Klipsch computer speakers later and halfway through a set of Logitechs and I figure it's time to get a real amp to fuel my stress and beer driven home jam sessions.

I'll play anything my untrained hands can, but really love Rammstein and similarly sounding bands. The Vypyr seems attractive based on the user community and the fact that I'm pretty sure I won't long for additional volume in the long run. From what I've read the 100 gets good scores for versatility as well. What Peavey would you choose in my situation?

Fritz
Last edited by mrfritz44 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classic30inCincy

Re: Thinking of a Vyper 100

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Vypyr 60 Tube Powered Amp

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

mrfritz44

Re: Thinking of a Vypyr 100

Post by mrfritz44 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:20 pm

I thought tube amps tend to break up at high distortion levels?

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Tube Amps.......

Used By The Pro's

Power Tubes ------> Tone Mojo

Power tubes available in:

Early Break-Up, Normal Break-Up, or Late Break-Up

mrfritz44

Post by mrfritz44 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Guess I still don't understand why the 60 tube is better in my case than the 100. I'm willing to listen though.

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:19 pm

I'd vote for the tube 60, or tube 120 if you've got a fat budget. Basically, the tube version will sound smoother, yet punchier, and have some more lows. I haven't actually heard it first-hand, but that's the general consensus I get. I've got a Vypyr 75 and it's just awesome, but I've still got my eye out for a cheaper tube 60 to snatch up. I haven't really heard of anyone having many problems with the tubes as long as you replace them when necessary. Check out some of the discussions going on in the Vypyr & Sanpera section of the forum (there's a link at the top of the page).

Edit - The link is at the top of the 'Guitar Amplifiers' page, not this current page.
The sound guy's job is to make everyone equally unhappy.

mrfritz44

Post by mrfritz44 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks for the links Sir. I read through the SS75 versus T60 thread and it actually has me leaning more towards the 100, if for no other reason than the thought of replacing tubes makes me cringe. Remember, my goal is stress relief. :wink:

That said, another thread talked about the ability to use the amp as a speaker. Since I often play along to MP3's and YouTube videos, I'd like the option of migrating to the basement to maintain my marriage. Today the desktop computer with the surround sound is upstairs and I drive my wife nuts when I play. So, I think another consideration is the ability to plug in a laptop to the AUX input and have it sound decent.

How does this sound on other Vypyrs and is there an accessory that would make it sound better?

Fritz

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:18 am

If you're set on a SS, they do sound pretty amazing for a SS amp. Although, 100w seems more than you'll ever need for stress relief, but I guess it depends on how much stress is being relieved. :wink: I honestly can't say I've tried running a line in to it. I'm a college kid, so there's no wife involved and I can blast my desktop system. :lol: :mrgreen:

mrfritz44

Post by mrfritz44 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:30 pm

So how often do tubes need to be replaced and what kind of cost are we talking about? Do they burn out in relation to how loud the amp is played?

Fred

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:13 pm

I've never owned a tube myself, but many people have told me they last anywhere from about a year to 15 depending on the environment. If you're blasting it out gigging every night, then it won't last as long as if you play at bedroom levels on the weekends. From what I gather, somewhere from 5-10 years should be expected for occasional to moderate playing at lower volumes, but someone who actually has experience in that may have to correct me on that.

Here are some tubes. Keep in mind that the T60 only uses 2 6L6's instead of the 4 in the auction, but it should give a general idea of what to expect.

mrfritz44

Post by mrfritz44 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Damnit, now you got me thinking about tubes. This was supposed to be easy man! I want to be able to blow the doors off the house, but I also appreciate the tube argument. How would you rate the necessity of the pedal? Should I be opting for a lower priced amp with the pedal as prerequisite?

RedDog22

Post by RedDog22 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:54 pm

after reading about & hearing players discuss them, I'd go for the tube models as well.
'11 Peavey Retro Fire 6-string
'11 Peavey GT-5 Amp
'12 Zoom G1Next

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Yes, it is quite a conundrum.

I went with the Sanpera 1 because I occasionally use it for live setting and want to switch between patches in the middle of a song. If you're just jamming in your bedroom, you may not need one as you can just reach over and poke the button on the amp, but if you're changing patches live, I prefer at least a Sanpera 1. A lot of guys say you've gotta get the Sanpera 2, or you're doomed to die, but it just wasn't worth it for me. I've seen used Sanpera 1's on ebay for $50 or so.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Worried @ Volume ?

Don't Be Worried........

Difference Between 60 Watt & 120 Watt = @ 3 db

60 Watt Vypyr Tube Amp.......

Add additional speaker cab IF you desire to Push More Air !

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Actually, if you double the power to a speaker, the increase is about 5-6dB, so you'd (in theory) only gain 6dB by getting a T120 over a T60. The human ear perceives about 10dB to be 'double' the volume, so going on a very rough basis, the T120 will be 1.5x 'louder' than the T60, but that's a bunny trail in and of itself. The T60 will be way more than you'll ever need if you're jamming in your basement instead of gigging. I can't turn my Vypyr 75 above 2 in my room without fear of scaring the neighbors (and I don't live in the city). :lol: