Classic 30 speaker replacement

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
calal

Classic 30 speaker replacement

Post by calal » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 pm

I thought I'd try a beam blocker in my C30. This amp is new to me and I'm wondering what's the best way to remove the speaker. Will removing the tubes give me the clearance to tilt it out?
Thanks

calal

Re: Classic 30 speaker replacement

Post by calal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Jeez, calal - you and I have the same username! Nope - you have to remove the amp from the cabinet to get the speaker out so's you can install that there bean blocker. What's one of them good for, preventing gas? Oh - it's BEAM blocker - I get it. 8)

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:52 pm

Same Name -------> How Dat Happen..... :?: :twisted: :P

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Dag_Nasty71

Post by Dag_Nasty71 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Yes, the chassis needs to be removed before you can remove the old and replace with the new. But, it's not nearly as difficult or time consuming as you might think. Even a caveman can do it (me). Just make sure you remove the tubes before you pull the chassis out. Good luck!

triguy

Post by triguy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 am

Dag_Nasty71 wrote:Yes, the chassis needs to be removed before you can remove the old and replace with the new. But, it's not nearly as difficult or time consuming as you might think. Even a caveman can do it (me). Just make sure you remove the tubes before you pull the chassis out. Good luck!

I didn't know WGS started using that Union Jack on the back of their speakers. I like it!

Triguy

dino_j

Post by dino_j » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:55 pm

So calal, did you get your beam blocker installed? What do you think of it? I have one if front of the stock Blue Marvel in my C30, I like the sound. Seems to tame some of the ice pick highs I used to get, but it could also be that the speaker is well broken in now, too.
"I'm too old to give up, but too young to rest" - Pete Townshend

https://www.youtube.com/user/ctp1daj/

Peavey AmpKit Link
Peavey Classic 30

calal

Post by calal » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:08 am

Yes, I did and it seems to work as expected - sort of spreads the sound so it's not as intense directly in front of the amp. Still has plenty of highs - not like it's muffled. After looking at some beam blockers online I made one from the plastic diffuser from a little battery powered under cabinet light fixture. It's 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" wide - I drilled four holes in it and hung it (dome facing the speaker) from the speaker mount screws with twist tie. Cheap but effective. Removing the chassis from the cabinet was easy, as Triguy said.

dino_j

Post by dino_j » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Cool, I know the type of light you're talking about, that's just about the perfect size for this purpose.

The late Stevie Ray Vaughan used to just put a few layers of duct tape on the outside of the amp in front of the speaker cones. Not visually all that attractive, but I suspect he was much happier when he stood directly in front of his amp!
"I'm too old to give up, but too young to rest" - Pete Townshend

https://www.youtube.com/user/ctp1daj/

Peavey AmpKit Link
Peavey Classic 30

calal

Post by calal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:03 am

It really spreads the sound out - sort of like a wide-angle lens on a camera. I spray painted the dome flat black so it wouldn't show. I'm using this amp at home where I really can't turn it up past 3 - too much amp for my use, but the beam blocker helps.