Amp slaving?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Twisted Strings

Amp slaving?

Post by Twisted Strings » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Can anyone help me through this set up? Ive searched and read but i dont fully understand how the cables are ran. :oops:
Id like to try my Windsor as a preamp through my SS XXL. From what i gather i run a cable from the Windsor FX loop-out to the input of the XXL and the guitar into the Windsor?????? I dont wanna do this until i have someone with a clue's input.Thanks in advance.

e-merlin

Re: Amp slaving?

Post by e-merlin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:30 pm

You have the first part right, but you want to run out of the Windsor's FX out to the FX return of the XXL. If you run it inot the XXL's input, you'll overdrive it. Also, you should use a dummy plug in the Windsor's return so it cuts off the signal to the power section of the Windsor. Well, unless you want to run both of them at the same time off of one signal.
"Tone is in the fingers, chops are in the woodshed." e-merlin

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20x480.png

Twisted Strings

Post by Twisted Strings » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Merlin, thanks for the reply.The Windsor will now control the volume and EQing? Dummy plug? as in just plug in a cable going to nothing? Again Thanks for the help.

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 pm

Rather than a dummy plug, just pull the power tubes out the Windsor, it's safer than running a tube power section with no load :mrgreen:
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Twisted Strings

Post by Twisted Strings » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 am

Im slightly confused. I ran the guitar into the Windsor input and a cable from the Windsor fx out to the XXL fx in.It had a nasty(good) growl to it but i couldnt turn it up past 2,its late here. The XXL also has a preamp in and out, would that offer anything different? And should both Heads be hooked to the speaker cabs or just the XXL(i dont mind both being used)?The dummy line from the Windsor in,is just an unplugged cord?I appreciate the help fellas.

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:11 am

If you don't mind both heads being plugged into cabs, that's great. The dummy cable / pull the power tubes idea is just to protect the Windsor if you didn't have a speaker conected to it.

You can try using the power amp in on the XXL instead of FX return, that's fine.
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

e-merlin

Post by e-merlin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:30 am

Just to be clear, a dummy plug is one where you connect the positive lug of the plug to the negative lug.

As far as chosing to run into the FX or Preamp section, I'm not sure what the preamp in an out work on the XXL. It might be a way to connect effects, but I'd have to read the manual to be sure. As long as you start quietly, I doubt it will hurt anything.
"Tone is in the fingers, chops are in the woodshed." e-merlin

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20x480.png

Twisted Strings

Post by Twisted Strings » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks for the help guys, im axious to give this a try tonight :D