Brand New Peavey Vypyr 100 Dead

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
bma

Brand New Peavey Vypyr 100 Dead

Post by bma » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi All,

My brand new Vypyr 100 has died on me - I get nothing - no lights, no pop, nada. It worked for about half an hour or so, the sound then became highly distorted, and then it just turned off. I've tried changing the power cable, and the usual array of checking the jack sockets, what have you. The socket works fine, and it hasn't blown the fuses in the power cables.

Is there anything I can do to try to get it back up and running (like any internal fuses I can change - I did have a look, but couldn't see anything), or am I just going to have to wait for the dealer to open after the holidays and hope they're willing to replace it instead of sending it off for repair (it was bought Mid November as a Christmas present).

Quite shocked how quickly it's died though - I thought Peavey had sorted out these issues that I remember plagued the early models.

Thanks!
Brian

Hemi

Re: Brand New Peavey Vypyr 100 Dead

Post by Hemi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Don't mess with it, take it back ASAP and get a new one.
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Agree........

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Can I hear a third?.... :mrgreen:

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:19 pm

Santasvart Does Occasionally Deliver Gear DOA :shock: :oops: :roll: :P

bma

Post by bma » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:08 am

Anyone have any recommendations if these still seem to have issues?

Would a Tube 60 be a more reliable choice?

Zylfrax791

Post by Zylfrax791 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 am

bma wrote:Anyone have any recommendations if these still seem to have issues?

Would a Tube 60 be a more reliable choice?
No it wouldn't. I've had nothing but trouble with the four Vypyr amps I've had over the last two years. A Vypyr 30, 75 & 120 head. All did the same glitchy random things like not reacting to knobs or the Sanpera and other weird sounds or no sound at all. Meanwhile my 6505+ which has actually gotten way more playing time sounds just fine. I'm taking my Vypyr 30 head which I've had for less than a year to an authorized Peavey service center this week and they will be shipping it back to Peavey whereupon Peavey will replace it according to customer service. I hate to dog on the Vypyr cause I love Peavey but seriously these amps are defective. Honestly, just get a 6505+ 112 instead and throw a couple pedals on it.
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Peavey Vypyr 30 Head
(2) Peavey 6505+ Heads
(2) Peavey 6505 Slant Cabinets
(2) Peavey 6505 Straight Cabinets

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 am

New Gear Susceptible To Heavy Handed Shipping Can & Will Experience Problems.

Tube Vypyr 60 will require tube replacement maintenance.

Recommend "Test Drive" side-by-side shootout between Vypyr 75 and Vypyr Tube 60.

bma

Post by bma » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 am

I might have another listen to the 6505 - I already have a pretty ridiculous chain of pedals, which I'll still use for gigging, but the reason I initially picked the Vypyr was so that I could use the modelling instead of pedals at practice (I got pretty sick of taking marshal head + cab + 4 pedals and all other crap you need to connect them to each session).

Shame really, since I really like how the Vypyr sounded. A 112 will probably be easier to carry around, but I'm not sure whether I'd comfortably be able to gig with a 60w 112 (and the 212 is ridiculously overpriced IMO - DV have the 112 for £349, the 212 is £899).

Tube maintenance doesn't really bother me - the only problem I'd have with a tube amp is that getting one powerful enough to gig with that still sounds OK when practicing at bedroom levels would be pretty hard :P I'll hopefully be able to persuade them to refund/replace rather than sending it off to Peavey (it was bought mid-late november but not used 'till Christmas) - but either way I think I'll drive it there myself rather than leaving it to a courier.

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:15 pm

If most of your tone comes from pedals, a really clean solid state amp, with basic tone controls, or even just a power amp and cab combo might be better for you. I play sometims with a guy with a huge pedalboard, and he doesn't care what he plugs into, bass amp, keyboard amp, guitar amp, or powered monitor, all pretty much the same. :mrgreen:

bma

Post by bma » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm sending that one back for a refund (they agreed after some persuasion not to send it to Peavey for repair), and I bought another 100 today.

TBH, the amp will spend most of it's time on the clean/bypass mode, however, it'll be nice to be able to practice without taking my entire board of pedals with me. That's kinda why I picked the 100 - it's more than loud enough to gig with, but also reasonable at quiet volumes (even if the volume knob is a bit touchy) - and would be practical if I want to use my pedals, or an effect I don't have a pedal for using the onboard stuff. I probably could have got away with the 75 - but when I played with them side-by-side I couldn't help but feel the 212 gave it more of a punch - especially in the low end.

I was bored with taking my Marshall head & cab along with various pedals to a quick practice!

Finger's crossed this one holds up OK :D