best speaker for cl30

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
dearlpitts

best speaker for cl30

Post by dearlpitts » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:10 pm

looking for what u guys think the best speaker for cl30 be,i,m in a band that play country-classic rock-alternitive.

VanR

Re: best speaker for cl30

Post by VanR » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:55 pm

After trying a few speakers in mine (Vintage 30, unknown Eminence) I stuck the stock Blue Marvel back in. I hear people really like the Weber Blue Dog Ceramic in the Classic 30. Also lots of folks like the Celestion G12H-30. I don't own either of these speakers so I don't really know.

thunda

Post by thunda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:10 pm

that stock speaker is really a great speaker for that amp. plenty of cut and spank, especially in a live situation. I don't think you could really improve on the tone.
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

dearlpitts

Post by dearlpitts » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:30 pm

other guitar player in my band uses the cl30-&50 and replaced both with jj tubes and v30,s-it sounds great-but i must say the little time i,ve had with mine so far it sounds great stock but have not had it in with band yet-will see wendsday.-have read where lots of people say the first thing to do is get a new speaker ,kinda of why i joinewd here to here from true fans.boy do some people but this amp down which i find crazy as it diffenently can do it all.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

I've found the stock speaker is voiced quite well for for a variety of tones/styles/genres. I've also seen quite a few C30's in the wild still sporting their stock speakers. I think the stock Blue Marvels cover country/classic rock/alternative just fine in the C30. But if you disagree, post what is lacking to your ears. Someone here will likely have a speaker recommendation for you.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dino_j

Post by dino_j » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:24 pm

Welcome to the forum! You have a great amp!

I am a fan of the Blue Marvel. I did stick a Weber Beam Blocker in front of it to tame some of the ice pick highs I was occasionally getting. Either the speaker is good and broken in now, or the Beam Blocker really helps. Perhaps a little of both.

In my opinion, the amp/speaker combo is a little bright, so don't be afraid to turn the treble back and turn up the mids (particularly when you start playing with the band)...
"I'm too old to give up, but too young to rest" - Pete Townshend

https://www.youtube.com/user/ctp1daj/

Peavey AmpKit Link
Peavey Classic 30

tonepoet

Post by tonepoet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 pm

I too have the Blue Marvel with a Beam Blocker in my C30, currently.

I think many guitarists see a speaker with an amp makers name on it and immediately assume it's cheap garbage. If they knew how to read the manufacturer's code on the speaker, they would see that most are made by Eminence or Jensen, etc., including the US Blue Marvel, which is Eminence made.

I've read that the Blue Marvel was modeled after the Eminence "Black Powder" 75 watt 12". Eminence describes that speaker as: "Bright mids and highs and a tight bottom end makes for some solid American tone." and "Explosive highs and mids, and a punchy bottom end". Which does sound like a description of the Blue Marvel.

It's the explosive highs leading to the ice pick quality that can be a bit much for me. But, overall, I do like that speaker in a C30.
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor

VanR

Post by VanR » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:18 pm

But didn't the Blue Marvel come before the Black Powder? So the Black Powder is based on the Blue Marvel.

tonepoet

Post by tonepoet » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Could be, VanR. I just recall reading where someone called Eminence to ask what the specs were on the Blue Marvel and they were told that it was closest to the Black Powder model.
Classic 30, Bravo 112, Bandit 112 redline, Vypyr 15, T-27, Patriot, Patriot w/ trem, Patriot Bass, Unity Series Bass, Firenza, Firenza JX, Firenza AX, Predator Plus (Korean), Predator Plus HB (Korean), T-60, Reactor

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Blue Marvel / Eminence Classic 1238 Cone Has "Ribs"

Eminence Black Powder = Zero Ribs :? :oops: :?

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge