Valveking 112 a gonner maybe...

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
thintz

Valveking 112 a gonner maybe...

Post by thintz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I have a Valveking 112 that is a few years old but hardly used and only in an office so no wide open stuff. One day I shut it off and now nothing happens when I turn it on. I want to jerk it open and look at fuses and stuff but this capacitor draining bothers me. I have seen on forums that the Valvekings don;t need draining, others say they drain by themselves over several hours or days and other that think I'll be dead by supper. If I need to drain them, fine but I need a video or something that actually shows it so I know I am doing i right. I keep seeing things and connect a wire here on a 30 year old something but yours might be different....

Please be gentle. I am 68, have Alzheimer's (early stages) and love Sammy Hagar when everybody leaves me alone. I need my valveking for "therapy" sort of. My neurologist was impressed when I learned how to do pinch harmonics.

Classic30inCincy

Re: Valveking 112 a gonner maybe...

Post by Classic30inCincy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:29 pm

It's already drained having been down over 2 - 3 hours.

Chances are a power tube failed and took out a fuse.

Easy Fix......

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

thintz

Post by thintz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks! (next time it's ok to take a breath or two before answering...dam quick around here)

Are these conventional looking fuses? steel glass steel or steel ceramic steel? I see sets of tubes and wonder if something like that is a good idea or just stay plain like me? Now I gotta figure out how to get this thing apart. I think they put a couple screws in odd places just to see if you are paying attention.

thintz

Post by thintz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:49 pm

While I am tearing this thing down and replacing on or two tubes,would it be smart/beneficial to replace all of the tubes? I see this set http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-Amp ... um-Package at the tube store and it looks reasonable. I am no hot dog, just want a decent set that might last a while. If they let me whip up on Richie Sambora, cool. I'll do with the amp working for now.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:59 pm

That set includes ALL tubes.

Unnecessary expenditure.

Two power tubes should fix the problem.

I prefer (one pair) Sovtek 6L6WXT+ @ Tube Depot

thintz

Post by thintz » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks! Saves me a few bucks also.

thintz

Post by thintz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:23 pm

I got the chassis out and the three fuses on the board show current across all three with the multi meter. I am going to replace the power tubes and hope that brings it back to life.... if not, I'm stuck! More sometime over the weekend I expect.

robdean

Post by robdean » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:00 pm

The effect loop can help at times like this, though you'll have to improvise test gear unless you have a second guitar amp.
Plug a guitar to the input and patch from the effect send to another amp. That'll tell you if the preamp stage is working.
Plug a signal source into the effect return (set master volume low!) That'll tell you if the power stage is working. As signal source I'd use the fx loop send of another amp, or any handy line-level signal such as one leg of a headphone output or RCA HiFi output.
If something works, then you have a whole bunch of circuit to not worry about, and if neither works that kinda tells you something too, as a dead power tube wouldn't kill the fx send unless it failed catastrophically leading to a cascade of other issues.
BTW start by simply patching the fx send directly to the fx return and wiggling the plugs - dirty contacts in the switched jack can be a PITA.
Oh, and make *certain* your instrument/patch leads are good, guitar works & volume is up etc. Never underestimate the ability of the dumbest of dumb sh1t to spoil your day: it has mine plenty of times...

thintz

Post by thintz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:49 am

I have gone through all of the fuses I can find, three on the board itself and the other by the power cord socket, all show good. I replaced the power tubes with new Groove Tubes but still nothing when I plug it in and turn it on either standby or the full on switch and in any combinations I an think of. Nothing, no lights, no glows, nuthin. I have not tried the pre amp test above as it is 3:48am. I will try that but without any lights or other indication this ting is even getting power I am not hopeful that will show anything. The socket it is plugged into works. I have to unplug the smaller amp I have to lug this am in so I know there is power to the plug on the Valveking cord anyway.

I am open to suggestion.

thintz

Post by thintz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:31 am

I don't know if this means anything but when I turn on the standby switch, nothing. But when I turn on te main switch (standby in either off or on) I can hear a faint hum in the back of the amp. I turned off the lights and there is no visible glow from any of the preamp or power tubes.

I notice that lots of people say to change preamp tubes with power tubes which I am perfectly willing to do if that might be the problem. Is there a way to do a basic check of these preamp and power tubes with a mltimueter?

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:01 am

Pre-Amp Tubes.......

Totally separate from power tubes

Have nothing to do with power problems

There should be MULTIPLE fuses on-board your amp

REPLACE fuses rather than merely looking at them

thintz

Post by thintz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:13 am

I need to find out exactly what fuse this uses and I will take the board out to replace them. All three inside are soldered pigtail cups that actually hold the fuse. I can't find out anything about how to replace them other than unsolder the pigtails (maybe just one side) replace the fuse and solder it back in. I am rushed this am, hope to spend way more time on it tommorrow or later today.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:22 am

Yes ------> Replace ALL Fuses

Remember --------> Fuses Cannot Be Looked At To Determine IF They Are OK

thintz

Post by thintz » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:26 pm

I had to be out all day today, maybe tomorrow also but then I am going to tear it down and see if I can un solder those things and get them out where I can stomp on one if its bad.

jmmsrv

Post by jmmsrv » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:29 am

Fuses don't burn out for no reason, I had to replace some diods in mine, & some loose solder joints. I am in Los Angeles area,
I would be happy to help you if you are close by. Jim