PEAVEY CLASSIC 100 HEAD

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Arnulf

PEAVEY CLASSIC 100 HEAD

Post by Arnulf » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Anyone have one?
I have a chance to get one but cannot find any demo's on YT...are they the same as the Classic 50? and what about those EL84 tubes..I never had a amp with them?
Any info would be appreciated. :)

pvholic

Re: PEAVEY CLASSIC 100 HEAD

Post by pvholic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:51 am

Here ya go.

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... manual.pdf

Tube change time will be costly as there are 8 each EL84's. I would recommend a matched set.

EL84 amps have been very common since the late 80's. As the Vox in the 70's made them more desirable. They don't have the bottom end of a 6L6 but my 1991 Classic 50 is my all time favorite amp. Yes, even over my original 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. I put a JBL D-120 in that and I sold it within a year after getting my Classic 50 410.

Enjoy and hold on to that one.
" I Play Peavey..............or I DON'T Play!!! "

Charlie

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:35 am

Classic's Have Three Dimensional Tone Via EL84 Power Tubes.

Classic 100 = Major Tone Monster

Two Quad Sets EL84 @ Same Price One Quad Set 6L6

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Sarge

Post by Sarge » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:16 am

Don't see many of these around.

I can bridge my 50-50 to get 100 and it really cranks.

8 EL84 gives a very unique sound compared to 6l6's or EL34's.

Like PVholic said, costly to retube(my 50-50 has 12 tubes!) but is totaly worth it for the great sound it gives.

It's kinda like a Classic 50 on steroids. 8) 8)

Sarge
4 Jackson Dinkys w/reversed headstocks
Peavey Rockmaster pre
Peavey Classic 50\50
ValveKing 4x12 slant
3120 head
Practice- Peavey Rage
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoverThisChicago

Arnulf

Post by Arnulf » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the replies and info my friends :)

e-merlin

Post by e-merlin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:04 pm

It's a really snotty amp. Rude, loud a bit middy, but in a good way. With the right speakers it has plenty of low end.
"Tone is in the fingers, chops are in the woodshed." e-merlin

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20x480.png

hbucker

Post by hbucker » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I owned one for almost 10 years. Great amp!

Yes, it is the same as the C-50 with 2x's the power tubes. Sounds great but you won't get a lot of different tones out of it. If you don't like it the first 5 minutes you play it, you probably never will. If you love it in that time period, contratulations, what you hear is what you get.

Replacing tubes can be a costly ordeal. Losing the cooling fan can be a bad thing too, but was at least reparable on mine.

railfanespee

Post by railfanespee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 am

do it do it do it! My C100 is one of the best amps I've ever played, at any price. And considering I got it for $800 with a great JCM800 era Marshall 1960 cab, it's a killer deal. I haven't had any trouble getting any tone I need out of mine.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1049266
All the distorted guitars on every song here were done with mine. All the difference comes from settings, guitars used, and recording techniques. I do recommend trying various boosts with it too, as that greatly expands the tones available

Arnulf

Post by Arnulf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Some good blues you got there Joe....your right...that C100 sounds awesome. 8)

How do you record your tunes and lay down tracks and post them on the net...I would like to learn how to do that? 8)

railfanespee

Post by railfanespee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks! I don't know how many songs you listened to, but there's everything from blues to 80s metal-ish stuff on that page. Just goes to show how versatile the amp is.

And recording- I did all of that with one Shure SM57 mic, a Fostex MR8 8 track digital recorder, and free recording software called Audacity to work with and mix the tracks. I played guitar and bass, but the drums are done with another free program called Hydrogen. It takes a little practice and experimenting to get things to sound right, but you can get great results on the cheap, and without pirating software.

Arnulf

Post by Arnulf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 pm

railfanespee wrote:Thanks! I don't know how many songs you listened to, but there's everything from blues to 80s metal-ish stuff on that page. Just goes to show how versatile the amp is.

And recording- I did all of that with one Shure SM57 mic, a Fostex MR8 8 track digital recorder, and free recording software called Audacity to work with and mix the tracks. I played guitar and bass, but the drums are done with another free program called Hydrogen. It takes a little practice and experimenting to get things to sound right, but you can get great results on the cheap, and without pirating software.
Wow.....sounds expensive and hi tech.....thanks for the reply. :)

railfanespee

Post by railfanespee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Arnulf wrote:
railfanespee wrote:Thanks! I don't know how many songs you listened to, but there's everything from blues to 80s metal-ish stuff on that page. Just goes to show how versatile the amp is.

Really it's not bad. I'm a jobless kid (yes, I know) so I work with what I can get. Really, you can get some pretty decent results for not all that much cash.

Fostex 8 track recorder- $230 used
SM57- $100ish
Headphones- $100, but if you have a decent pair they should be fine for basic clip making.

And it's all fairly simple. You can actually do all the mixing on the recorder, no computer necessary. I actually did my first few songs that way, and for most people it should be all you need. And if you do go the audacity route, I have to say it's about as intuitive as possible. I'm pretty confident anyone capable of operating a computer could sit down and figure it out in about 5 minutes. It really is quite simple, compared to most software like it.

I really do recommend getting into recording, even if it's just for fun. It's totally worth it, at least in my opinion. Spending $500 or so on recording gear is a wayyyy better idea than picking up another guitar or amp, assuming you have something decent already

Arnulf

Post by Arnulf » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:44 pm

railfanespee wrote:
Arnulf wrote:

Really it's not bad. I'm a jobless kid (yes, I know) so I work with what I can get. Really, you can get some pretty decent results for not all that much cash.

Fostex 8 track recorder- $230 used
SM57- $100ish
Headphones- $100, but if you have a decent pair they should be fine for basic clip making.

And it's all fairly simple. You can actually do all the mixing on the recorder, no computer necessary. I actually did my first few songs that way, and for most people it should be all you need. And if you do go the audacity route, I have to say it's about as intuitive as possible. I'm pretty confident anyone capable of operating a computer could sit down and figure it out in about 5 minutes. It really is quite simple, compared to most software like it.

I really do recommend getting into recording, even if it's just for fun. It's totally worth it, at least in my opinion. Spending $500 or so on recording gear is a wayyyy better idea than picking up another guitar or amp, assuming you have something decent already
I watched a demo on YT....pretty cool. 8)
A lot of them on ebay. :)

jwhit007

Post by jwhit007 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:34 pm

I can't imagine there are many 100 watt amps with EL84s. I could be wrong though.

Arnulf

Post by Arnulf » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:50 pm

I think Marshalls use EL84s and Vox and some Carvins?