1980 Mark III 400BH Worth Fixing?

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey bass amplifiers.
Gilmourisgod

1980 Mark III 400BH Worth Fixing?

Post by Gilmourisgod » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 am

New poster here, hope this subject hasn't been flogged to death elsewhere:

I have a 1980 Mark III 400 BH, bought new in the box as NOS in 1982. I had owned it for about 6 months when it fried, mid-gig. Just went completely dead. I had it repaired under warranty, but it was never really right again, intermittent problems where one channel would cut out, or it would distort and crackle, etc. It's posible I damaged it myself using an instrument cable between head and speaker, but who knows now. I eventually got another amp, and this one has been in a closet, moved with me over the years. I haven't found the footswitch yet, so that may be long gone. Every 10 years or so I'd stumble on it and say "gotta get that fixed". Now getting rid of it is on the Honeydo list. I dragged it out of storage (dry and warm) yesterday, with the following result.

The good news:
It fires up and produces sound through both inputs in both channels and the Automix input. The last I played it (probably 5 years ago) one of the channels didn't work at all, think it was B; which has somehow miraculously fixed itself. Problems with this amp were always intermittent, which was why I kind of gave up on it. You never knew if it was going to work, so I couldn't trust it to play out.
EQ knobs and graphic EQ function, didn't play loud enough for the compressor/limiter to kick in, but I assume it works.
An inspection of interior shows no obvious popped caps, burned or cracked boards, loose wires or connectors, bad fuses, etc. No dried up beer, food, or other debris, and nearly pristine except a little dust. I was VERY careful to let it sit unplugged for a good long while before opening, and did not touch any of the caps.

The bad news:
1. With a brand new speaker cord connecting head to my 1x15 cab, no inputs into channel A, B, or Automix, and pre/post gain at 0, I get a constant buzz/hum, like really bad 60 cycle noise. The noise increases with volume turned up. I can eq some of it out by cutting highs, but it's pretty loud. It's the same wth on switch in either position.
2. With bass plugged into either channel A, B, or Automix, I get undistorted bass sound, but the buzz/hum is constant and increases with volume adjustment. It's nearly as loud as the bass sound, and unbearable at any decent volume.
3. Tried switching the on/off/on switch to opposite "on" and got a LOUD pop, like an amplified bass drum kick. This happens every time you shut the amp off, regardless of channel or which of two speaker outlets is used. After hearing it a couple times, I'm afraid to try it again for fear of damaging my speaker cab.
4. The channel B pots are scratchy, and the Paramid knob makes a strange "whoop" (best description I can come up with) noise around mid-range of adjustment. All the other tone knobs and EQ sliders seem to work fine. I'm hoping this is just dirty old pots.
5. Both speaker out jacks crackle and cut out if you work the speaker cable jack around a little. Im hoping this is just old cracked solder joints at the output jacks that can be re-flowed.

I tried two different basses (one single coils, one humbuckers), two instrument cords, and two different speakers with same results, so it's definitely the head that's buzzing. I am hopeful this is something minor, since the amp functions, albeit noisily. Any rough ideas what these symptoms indicate? Thanks for any advice on this, and sorry to be long-winded. It's an old amp, but has a lot of nostalgic appeal to me from my college bar-band days, so I'd like to fix it if the cost doesn't exceed the used value, which seems to about $150-200.

Hemi

Re: 1980 Mark III 400BH Worth Fixing?

Post by Hemi » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:35 pm

When you say fix it up, do you mean you doing it, or taking it somewhere?

Taking it somewhere, it's almost bound to run to your $150-200 limit. Doing it yourself, you'll learn stuff, possibly kill yourself, and maybe have some fun. Depending on your level of care and expertise :mrgreen:
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 pm

More likely $100 in my shop, but question remains what you want to spend.

By the way, the model of your amp is BASS Mk3. 400BH is the power amp board on the rear panel.

If it amplifies the signal and sounds OK, just with a lot of hum, then you likely either have a ground problem or a power supply problem. However, the fact you get a loud pop EVERY time you switch it on tells me ther is an unwanted DC offset somewhere in the circuit. SInce the hum responds to the volume control, I'd wager the hum is also a result of DC offset, and likely in the preamp.

DC offset can be from a bad IC, but since the circuit runs on +15v and -15v, if one of those were missing or just unfiltered, that would also result in DC voltages out of balance. SO my first guess is one of the 15v filter caps is not working or is unsoldered.

Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, killing myself is low on the priority list. Do these kind of amps retain voltage in caps over days or weeks? I have built a few BYOC effects pedals, so I could replace a bad cap myself if I knew where to look.
How does one locate the filter caps? My schematic reading skills are non-existent.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:55 pm

If memory serves, the power supplies are 50v or maybe 53v. So not all that high. They discharge fairly quickly, but if in doubt, probe the circuit with a volt meter.

The main filter caps are the two large cylinders near one end of the power amp board.

Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:14 am

Here's a couple shots of the power amp board. Would the "filter" caps be the big black ones (labeled 35V), the big metallic blue cans, or one of the smaller sky blue caps? I know these are polarized, and have to be put in correctly. If it's a simple as sourcing replacements for the black or sky blue caps, I can probably get replacements on Mouser or Digikey, the big metallic blue caps, not so much.

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 am

I hate to say it, but probably both.

The big sky blue caps will have probably shrunk in size since the 80's. You just need to get close to the right value for filter caps, and with enough working voltage, ie. a 33uF 35V cap can be replaced by a 47uF 50V cap, if it fits physically.

Wait for Enzo to chime in, he probably has a schematic and layout to hand.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Well, don't just start replacing caps just because you "ought to", or because they are "probably" what is wrong.

I am pretty sure we have the 400BH schematic posted around this forum somewhere, do a search. Or call customer serice at Peavey and as for the schematics for the Bass Mk3 with 400BH.

Isolate the problem. Plug the guitar into the POWER AMP IN jack, lower right. Turn the guitar volume control to zero. Is your hum still present? This is bypassing the preamp entirely. You reported the volume control turned the hum up and down, so we suspect the preamp. SO first thing we do there is check power supply. Are both -15v and +15v up to par and clear of ripple on the preamp board? They do come from the power amp board. So if one is bad, we check its source on that 400 board. Any control that affects the sound of the hum in any way is after the point the hum enters the signal path, so by determining the volume raises or lowers the hum means it is before that control.

The large blue cans are the main filter caps for the 50v rails. The smaller ones would be for the lower voltages. Due to ages, maybe all those caps need replacing, but for now FIND OUT what is wrong with the amp, fix that, and THEN do cap upgrades. Measure ripple across each cap. ANy out of line with the others?

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm