Two KB/A 30's in stereo? Aces idea? or lousy?

This forum is for talking about Peavey keyboard amplifiers.
Foonchy

Two KB/A 30's in stereo? Aces idea? or lousy?

Post by Foonchy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:53 am

Forum prowler turned newbie poster.

Here's my basic set-up: Guitar, 2 drum machines (one plays drums, other bass), Supreme TT 100 head, 112SX cab. Drum machines run into mixer.

Here's my quandary: I'm a 40+ basement rock star. I aim to play out eventually. Small venues- 50 people max, no PA. I'd like to amp the mixer. I thought a 12" KB would be a good choice but dang if they aren't HEAVY! The Supreme is about max (40 lbs) before my spine pops.

Questions: The KB/A 30's look sweet. If I had two in stereo (L/R from mixer) would I cover a solid stretch of sonic ground? Could they hold their own against the Supreme? Better ideas (powered speakers)? Cost would have to be a big factor along w/weight.

Thanks much!

Enzo

Re: Two KB/A 30's in stereo? Aces idea? or lousy?

Post by Enzo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:10 pm

The Supreme DOES have a volume control, it doesn't have to be all the way up.

You are a solo act? Then is stereo really necessary? Frankly, when I mix a band live, I do it mono anyway. Otherwise, the couple tables in the center get stereo, and the folks on the left get one channel and the folks on the right the other. Nothing against multiple speakers for coverage, but I'd just mono them.

If you used a keyboard amp like this KB/A 30, it does have three input channels, so would you even need the mixer? One drummer into each channel, with the third channel spare. Mix with the channel controls.

Have you tried this model yet? Take your drummers to the store and audition the amp, or maybe they will let you try it on approval or even just rent one for an evening. It has only one small 10" woofer, with a tweeter. it is a nice amp, it is biamped even. I just worry it is smallish.

I am not up to date on the current Peavey line, but more and more we see speakers with neodymium magnets, which weight a LOT less than conventional speakers. So a larger amp with a neo speaker will weigh less than it could. A call to customer service at the factory could tell you more about lighter weight models. More and more amps are using digital power amps as well, and those weigh a lot less too.

Since your setup is simple, a powered speaker is a consideration. I can't tell you model numbers, but a small mixer fed into one would work fine as a small PA. Many of them have a small basic mixer built in, and you only need to input channels. Same thing as before, neo speakers save weight, and digital power amps do as well.

Foonchy

Post by Foonchy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Great reply- lots to consider. Thx!

You are correct about the Supreme & vol control. One big reason I got it was how consistently fantastic it sounds from 1 to 11. :P

You also guessed right this is a 1 man operation. I should have been more clear that a mono mix would pump out to each speaker. The mixer would help one other factor I didn't mention- a soundscape freak out that plays in between songs so I can dial in beats, etc. & monitor w/headphones.

I'm eager now to scour the internerd for more info about neo speakers & digital power amp options!

Thanks again, Enzo!

Foonchy

Post by Foonchy » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:19 am

Thx again for feedback. Thought I'd follow up w/my decision. Found a great deal on a Crown XLS 1000 power amp. Very lightweight but heavyweight output. That's patched into a single Peavey PR 15 speaker- also light (a bit unwieldy) and great! Good times!