The FIRENZA Thread!

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
TRexF16

Re: The FIRENZA Thread!

Post by TRexF16 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 pm

Fellas,
Based on Tonepoet's last post, I reckon I used the wrong terms when I said "solid". I meant to say "one piece". IOW, I am pretty sure my AX is a single, contiguous piece of slab-sawn ash. I have still never held it myself but just got the end-grain photos from my wife. Maybe there's a glue line there but she says she can't find it.
Sure looks it the way the growth rings flow into the top grain.
This is pretty and cool but not the best thing for stability. As its moisture content changes in AZ, those growth rings are going to want to straighten out, cupping the top. If it was 100% stable before and well sealed it will not be a big deal. I hope for the best. I have been seasoning a similar 2"x15"x22" slab of solid white ash in my shop for three years now that will become a Butterscotch Blonde Esquire. It hasn't moved a bit so I think it's ready.

Rex

derricku_23

Post by derricku_23 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:58 am

Picked this one up on ebay this last week. Anxious to try it out. My first firenza.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-25-11-49-22.png
Screenshot_2014-08-25-11-49-22.png (868.93 KiB) Viewed 7820 times
Screenshot_2014-08-25-11-49-37.png
Screenshot_2014-08-25-11-49-37.png (820.69 KiB) Viewed 7820 times
Cropper Classic
Reactor AX
Predator AX
Carvin Bel Air 410
Taylor 214ce

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Nice looking guitar. You will enjoy that guitar.
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:27 pm

I watched that, like I do most all the Firenzas that flow through eBay. You did good - got a fine deal on it. How do you like it so far?

Rex

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:33 am

I couldn't find it on eBay, had to do a search just for "Firenza", realized they misspelled Peavey as "Peavy" without the "e". I used to correct people about that, but not so much anymore, as it can often save you $100 or more... Congrats! 8)

derricku_23

Post by derricku_23 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks guys. I hope to have it by the end of the week. Always wanted a p-90 guitar. How do you think they will compare to Cropper's pups? Considering they are both mahogany bodies.
Cropper Classic
Reactor AX
Predator AX
Carvin Bel Air 410
Taylor 214ce

TRexF16

Re: The FIRENZA Thread! (NGD for me too!)

Post by TRexF16 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:45 pm

Pics to follow, but I got home from work this evening with a cream colored, mint condition Firenza JX I scored off the local Craigslist for $180, with strap and gig bag. It still has the original sale sticker on the control cavity cover (marked down from $599.99 to $479.00!). There's not a mark on it - dead mint!

It feels feather light and I just put it on the scale and it shows 6.2 pounds with the strap on it. Nice.

I know Peavey went to great pains to keep the neck feel identical between the various Firenza models, but this one feels slimmer and seems to fit my hands batter than the necks on the other three Firenzas in my "stable." I'll take some measurements to confirm that and post pics over the weekend.

Now excuse me, I got to go plug it in and listen to it a little!

Smiling...
Rex

GennyFan

Re: The FIRENZA Thread! (NGD for me too!)

Post by GennyFan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:36 am

TRexF16 wrote:I know Peavey went to great pains to keep the neck feel identical between the various Firenza models, but this one feels slimmer and seems to fit my hands batter than the necks on the other three Firenzas in my "stable."
I'm not sure what "great pains" Peavey went to, I've found quite a bit of variation in the widths of my Firenza necks. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I personally like the chunky ones. Maybe we could meet up and do some neck swaps?!

Look forward to seeing your JX. I really like those too. They're ideal for Hendrixy heavy blues, and as you say, they're light and super comfortable. I predict that in 20 years, the "Jack White/Black Keys of the Future" will play one and cause them to shoot up in value.

For now, those of us who know can enjoy 'em on the cheap! :mrgreen:

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:52 pm

GennyFan,

My statement was based primarily on the marketing thrust Peavey used with the Firenzas - along the lines of three different guitars with unique tones but identical "feels" to the player. The whole push was to the pro player that he could get all manner of tone options with transparent "handling" qualities. My experience is limited to three guitars. Previously I had a Soapbar, JX, and AX all of which had pretty well matching necks, consistent with the advertising hype. This new JX neck seems much slimmer.

Of course, I will probably put the calipers on them tomorrow and discover they are identical. Just like that new aftermarket steel block on my trem made the sustain sooooo much better. LOL

Rex

TRexF16

Post by TRexF16 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Here's the new white JX in a little "Ying Yang" action with the black one. I made some measurements of their two necks (as mentioned above). I was surprised at what a difference in feel such a small difference in dimensions made.

The width at the nut is 1.680" for the white and 1.704" for the black. The depth of both is about the same there at .807"

At the 12th fret, the white is 2.059" wide versus 2.070" for the black. the depth is within 5 thousandths

At the 21st fret, the width is 2.122" for the white and 2.132" for the black.

Quite different in feel though. I have small hands so I like the feel of the white better.

Cheers,
Rex

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:32 am

TRexF16 wrote:Image
Here's the new white JX in a little "Ying Yang" action with the black one. I made some measurements of their two necks (as mentioned above). I was surprised at what a difference in feel such a small difference in dimensions made.

The width at the nut is 1.680" for the white and 1.704" for the black. The depth of both is about the same there at .807"

At the 12th fret, the white is 2.059" wide versus 2.070" for the black. the depth is within 5 thousandths

At the 21st fret, the width is 2.122" for the white and 2.132" for the black.

Quite different in feel though. I have small hands so I like the feel of the white better.

Cheers,
Rex
Nice pic! 8)

Interesting that the necks would be different widths... I wouldn't have expected that.

As you may recall, I like to replace the JX volume knobs with metal Tele knobs, I just like the look.

I need to stock up on some neon and day-glo colored tone knobs.... :P

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:43 am

derricku_23 wrote:Thanks guys. I hope to have it by the end of the week. Always wanted a p-90 guitar. How do you think they will compare to Cropper's pups? Considering they are both mahogany bodies.
I thought I replied to this but I guess I didn't... Only in my mind! :o :? :oops:

I have a Cropper that I like too, but they're very different guitars. I think the Firenza is a warmer, more toneful sounding guitar. The Cropper has those dual rail humbuckers which are nice, but they're not true single coils. For clean playing and mild overdrive, the Firenza has better dynamics, IMHO.

Interesting to note is that the aluminium neck joint on the Cropper originally was first tried on the Milano. The Milano was part of the same "Italian Cities" series that spawned the Firenza. I had a Milano for a while too. The aluminium neck joint seems to impart a brightness to the tone that's hard to dial out. Again, just my opinion.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion once you have get your Firenza dialed in and can compared it side by side with your Cropper.

countreno

Post by countreno » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Howdy!

New poster, frequent reader. I thought I'd share what I've done to my Firenza. I've fitted a Bigsby B5 vibrato using a Vibramate V5 mounting plate. It replaces the stop tailpiece and mounts in the former stud holes. No permanent mods, works great, and I play the hell out of this thing. I've got many guitars, but when I see this on the stand, I'm drawn to it every time. Through my AC30, it's just dreamy.

derricku_23

Post by derricku_23 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:52 pm

GennyFan wrote:
derricku_23 wrote:Thanks guys. I hope to have it by the end of the week. Always wanted a p-90 guitar. How do you think they will compare to Cropper's pups? Considering they are both mahogany bodies.
I thought I replied to this but I guess I didn't... Only in my mind! :o :? :oops:

I have a Cropper that I like too, but they're very different guitars. I think the Firenza is a warmer, more toneful sounding guitar. The Cropper has those dual rail humbuckers which are nice, but they're not true single coils. For clean playing and mild overdrive, the Firenza has better dynamics, IMHO.
Interesting to note is that the aluminium neck joint on the Cropper originally was first tried on the Milano. The Milano was part of the same "Italian Cities" series that spawned the Firenza. I had a Milano for a while too. The aluminium neck joint seems to impart a brightness to the tone that's hard to dial out. Again, just my opinion.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion once you have get your Firenza dialed in and can compared it side by side with your Cropper.
Finally got to dig into the Firenza last night with the guys. Very happy with it. Sounds amazing. It has a more full and rich sound than the Cropper. I won't tell Steve the next time I talk to him but if I do he's picky about his sound just like me so he'll understand.
Cropper Classic
Reactor AX
Predator AX
Carvin Bel Air 410
Taylor 214ce

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:00 pm

countreno wrote:Howdy!

New poster, frequent reader. I thought I'd share what I've done to my Firenza. I've fitted a Bigsby B5 vibrato using a Vibramate V5 mounting plate. It replaces the stop tailpiece and mounts in the former stud holes. No permanent mods, works great, and I play the hell out of this thing. I've got many guitars, but when I see this on the stand, I'm drawn to it every time. Through my AC30, it's just dreamy.
PV Firenza Bigsby 1.jpg
PV Firenza Bigsby 1.jpg (275.62 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
PV Firenza Bigsby 2.jpg
PV Firenza Bigsby 2.jpg (293.35 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
PV Firenza Bigsby 3.jpg
PV Firenza Bigsby 3.jpg (278.8 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
Very nice! Welcome, and thanks for sharing!