Peavey T-60

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
bucky katt

Re: Peavey T-60

Post by bucky katt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I got my T-60 a few days ago, after lusting for one for more than 30 years. i had some stereo equipment from the mid 90's for sale or trade (worth about 75 dollars total) and i had mentioned in the ad i'd trade it all for an electric guitar as i wanted something i could modify and beat on without having to worry about hurting one of my really good guitars. i was expecting a crappy old yamaha or johnson strat copy so when i got to this guys house you can imagine my total shock when he brought a sunburst T-60 out of his closet. i tried telling him that the guitar was worth several times what the stereo equipment was but he didnt want to hear it, he wanted the stereo and didnt want the guitar. i got it home and cleaned it up (all dirty and grimy after not being used for 20+ years) set the truss rod and neck angle and put some new DR Tite-Fits on it and it plays nicer than any of my other guitars. for a 28 year old guitar (it's a 1983) it's in pretty good shape with minimal corrosion on the hardware and very little finish damage (just a few dings on the headstock with some of the black pinstriping missing) the one thing that shocked me though is that it makes a Les Paul feel as light as a plywood/masonite Danelectro. how MUCH do these monsters weigh? the 30 year wait to get one of these has been well worth it. it sounds great through both my solid state and tube amplifiers and has great action after about 3 hours of working on it.
fat people are harder to kidnap

Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:20 pm

bucky katt, you too have discovered THE most underrated at the time of it's manufacture and one of the coolest guitars ever made IMHO! Congrats on that find buddy, mine cost me $425 bucks to land just a few weeks ago.

Like I said elsewhere (to you I am guessing), I found someone saying they are about 14 pounds but the finished ones are marginally lighter and when I get mine back I'll weigh it.

Mine had one wonky fret and while I'm having that worked on I'm having my tech change the tone controls' [position 7-10] single coil tap, to a pull pot on the top volume. That way I can get the full use of my tone knobs and still get the single coil split when I want to.

Great guitars!

oldmark

Post by oldmark » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Not a T 60, but I got a T25 a few days ago...shorter scale neck, very muchlike my Gibson LP Special, but much more tonal variety. Very solid and well made guitar, made in 1982...a few minor dings to show for all those years.
Got it for $250 including shipping, but minus the case.

An amazing, really fine guitar.

mark

added-Just found out that the great Carl Perkins played Peavey T60 and T25 guitars...
http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guita ... d_Amps.htm
"I'm glad to be here.....on earth." Les Paul, at age 90.
Just give me one good reason why you are so irrational...

Rolldown

Post by Rolldown » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Here's my worn and frazzled ' beat up and amazing black beauty.
my T 60.jpg
my T 60.jpg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 19978 times
My Peavey stuff
T 60,
Predator
Detonator JX
Vypyr
Bandit 112

bucky katt

Post by bucky katt » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Rolldown wrote:Here's my worn and frazzled ' beat up and amazing black beauty.
my T 60.jpg

heavy SOB's arent they? the tone though.............the tone makes me feel all warm and wobbly inside :lol:

Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Matt Clark wrote:bucky katt, you too have discovered THE most underrated at the time of it's manufacture and one of the coolest guitars ever made IMHO! Congrats on that find buddy, mine cost me $425 bucks to land just a few weeks ago.

Like I said elsewhere (to you I am guessing), I found someone saying they are about 14 pounds but the finished ones are marginally lighter and when I get mine back I'll weigh it.

Mine had one wonky fret and while I'm having that worked on I'm having my tech change the tone controls' [position 7-10] single coil tap, to a pull pot on the top volume. That way I can get the full use of my tone knobs and still get the single coil split when I want to.

Great guitars!
OK, I've got it back! I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet but I will and post the weight ASAP.

What I really came back to say was...

Now that this jewel has been worked on, I think I'm liking it better than my Rickenbackers. It plays like a dream and has the best tone control I've ever heard so far. Part of that is my Tech's fault, because of how he wires them up, and the neck work he does, but a lot of it obviously is coming from the guitar. Unmatched sustain without being enhanced electronically for sure. And, she's just gorgeous to look at. It's the best money I've spent on a guitar in a long, long time! It cost me the $425 for the guitar and then $100 to have the work done plus I tipped him $20 for the great job he did! So, for about $500 (which is a bit more than you would have to invest normally, I wanted the color and neck combo so I paid more) you can get a guitar the competes with or even exceeds the 2k-3k competitors. Yeah!

If you want to know who does my work for me, send my a private message and I'll tell you about him.

bucky katt

Post by bucky katt » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:41 pm

i have discovered the fact that past 7 on the tone pots makes the humbuckers into single coil pickups! i just cannot even begin to say how much i love this guitar. the neck is just right for my hand and the action is fantastic (the neck tilt adjustment rules) this is the best playing guitar i own by far. it's funny though, when i go from the T-60 to my Epi Wilshire, the Wilshire feels like it's made of balsa wood the weight is so different. amazing guitar. this is nitrocellulose finished isnt it? i have the translucent sunburst, alot like the gibson vintage sunburt in color

Rolldown

Post by Rolldown » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:19 pm

If ya love guitars ya gotta love the T60. I've had mine a few months now and just recently let it cool down a bit and give the others a little workout. The weight doesn't bother me at all for some reason, it's solid for sure but it feels pretty good to me. Might feel different though if it was hanging around my neck for a couple hours instead of sittin here on the couch with it laying across my lap. :lol: I was looking for one in a little better shape cause mines kind of rough looking but then I realized those scars and dings don't hurt a thing except the resale value but this ol girl won't be for sale as long as I'm breathin so I've stopped looking for another...........course if a real good deal comes along .........
My Peavey stuff
T 60,
Predator
Detonator JX
Vypyr
Bandit 112

Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Matt Clark wrote:I
OK, this one is 9.65 pounds. Right in there with a Gibson Les Paul.

RSPV

Post by RSPV » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:14 am

My '79 and '80 Natural T-60s weigh in at 9.8 lbs.
My first electric was '82 T60 bought used with a Studio pro in '82 for $250. I think they just wanted it out of the shop. It saw me through some lean times and was in and out of pawnshops all over the USA. I forgot it at a pawnshop in San Diego after moving to New Orleans. I aquired my '79 at a auction for $100 in '93 and just last sturday found a near mint '80 with hsc and case candy for $200 otd at a local pawnshop. Lucky day boys,lucky day. :)
-Various T-60s, Predator,Falcon,Genny Series2
Foundation Bass,Takamines,Guilds,Ibanezes,Epi LP Elite
-Renown 400 212
-Classic 50 212
-Fender Cybertwin
-Roland Jc 120
-Roland Micro cube 1x4
-Bunch of pedals,Fx boards,looper etc.

Brian Krashpad

Post by Brian Krashpad » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:16 am

Iirc my T-60 is a 1980. I'd been looking for a T-60, but not actively, for a few years, and had a natural with some wiring problems I could've picked up from a local pawn, but I dawdled and someone got there first. Then one New Year's Eve day I went into a different pawn that was having an end-of-year sale where everything was 1/3 off. There was my Theresa, tagged at $300 w/ohsc. So with the sale, the price was two Benjamins. SOLD! I always preferred the painted ones to the naturals, and like many of those mine is poplar rather than the heavy Northern Oak, so it's only 8.5 pounds, so for me those are pluses both aesthetically and in being user-friendly/playable.

SCOTT_Grove

Post by SCOTT_Grove » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:04 am

Loving my T-60 for sure. Here's a little review for anybody that doesn't know much about them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKtoGn6qbk

RSPV

Post by RSPV » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:20 pm

First public pics for these two.
Attachments
'79 on the left and '80 on the right. Out of focus. doh!
'79 on the left and '80 on the right. Out of focus. doh!
Guitars 007.jpg (2.43 MiB) Viewed 19881 times
-Various T-60s, Predator,Falcon,Genny Series2
Foundation Bass,Takamines,Guilds,Ibanezes,Epi LP Elite
-Renown 400 212
-Classic 50 212
-Fender Cybertwin
-Roland Jc 120
-Roland Micro cube 1x4
-Bunch of pedals,Fx boards,looper etc.

RSPV

Post by RSPV » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:21 pm