PR-12 Setup Question

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
BigBlkYJ

PR-12 Setup Question

Post by BigBlkYJ » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 am

New here so hopefully this is the correct forum to ask this question...

I have 2 PR-12's which are going to be run stereo from a QSC GX3 amp. The setup is a small DJ/House party rig. Basically laptop run through a mixer, then EQ, then the GX3. There is also a powered sub run off of the output from the EQ with a built in Xover.

I've done a bit of research and have been reading that I should be running a HPF @ 50Hz as well for the PR-12's. Is this accurate info? If so, what would everyone recommend to achieve this with?

Thanks guys!
Chris

Josjor

Re: PR-12 Setup Question

Post by Josjor » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:50 pm

That is definately a good recommendation. The PR12's are entry level speakers, as well as being 12" cabs so they don't do the low lows that well.

Do some reading on your eq. If it offers a subwoofer out function it might also offer a hi-pass function as well.

I'm not familiar with that particular amplifier, but many amplifiers also offer a low-cut feature. Engage that for the PR12's.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

crossedwires

Post by crossedwires » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:38 am

I believe that the GX3 only has high pass on one of the channels. It can be configured as full-range for both channels, or high-pass for one channel & low-cut for the other channel.

As Josnor recommended, see if the EQ has a low-cut feature. What kind of powered sub do you have? Some powered subs, such as the Peavey Impulse 115P can power the tops for you. As far as I know, Impulse 115P takes a stereo signal and provides power in stereo for a set of tops (with a low-cut feature), and monos the signal for the woofer (with a high-pass filter). If this is the case, you may not even need the QSC.

MtDew

Post by MtDew » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 am

BigBlkYJ wrote:New here so hopefully this is the correct forum to ask this question...

I have 2 PR-12's which are going to be run stereo from a QSC GX3 amp. The setup is a small DJ/House party rig. Basically laptop run through a mixer, then EQ, then the GX3. There is also a powered sub run off of the output from the EQ with a built in Xover.

I've done a bit of research and have been reading that I should be running a HPF @ 50Hz as well for the PR-12's. Is this accurate info? If so, what would everyone recommend to achieve this with?

Thanks guys!
Chris
You may be able to do this with your eq. I have an ART 355 32 band eq that I can set the high and low pass. I use this to roll off some of the low bass (50Hz and below). I also run a QSC amp, but I am running the GX5. The GX5 gives me more head room before clipping. I also run 2 speakers on each side (1 PR12 and 1 PR15) for larger events.

BigBlkYJ

Post by BigBlkYJ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks for the quick reply's guys! My EQ does in fact have a Low Cut function, which I have been using, is this enough safety for these speakers? It's my understanding that this amp will not allow for HPF only the higher end QSC's will do this (I should have done some reading first) I do not have the amp yet, as its on the way. My old amp took a dump on me!

Thanks again!

BigBlkYJ

Post by BigBlkYJ » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 pm

So I did some research on the EQ. The specs say Low Cut is -6dB @ 100hz It also says in there that it will help with Low frequency below 30hz but it didn't say that in the Low Cut section...?

"Remedy any system suffering from rumble or low
frequency below 30Hz overload by attenuating the
lowermost equalizer controls."

crossedwires

Post by crossedwires » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm

BigBlkYJ wrote:"Remedy any system suffering from rumble or low
frequency below 30Hz overload by attenuating the
lowermost equalizer controls."
This means pulling down the sliders below 30Hz. Most speakers can't reproduce those frequencies anyway, so there's no point in making them try to.

The low cut removes frequencies below the 100Hz mark. By doing so, there's no need to worry about the rumble below 30Hz because it won't be there.

Were you amp to get everything hooked up and running?

BigBlkYJ

Post by BigBlkYJ » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 am

Yea I have everything hooked up, and it sounds much better than the other amp I was using which was way underpowered for these speakers. Just want to be sure I'm not suppose to be running something that I'm not.