Peavey SoundGuard Protection Circuit

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
TysonRprince

Peavey SoundGuard Protection Circuit

Post by TysonRprince » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:29 pm

I pulled the protection circuit (http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.c ... 153%3B.cfm) out of my Sp2, and the Capacitor is all burnt up (causing my horn to stop working). I want to replace it but don't know why size Capacitor it is, and no where does it list specifications. The Capacitor would be the yellow thing to the right of the light bulb. Any Help? Thanks

Enzo

Re: Peavey SoundGuard Protection Circuit

Post by Enzo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:54 am

The little yellow disc is not a cap, it is a "polyswitch" - essentially a self-resetting electronic fuse. Peavey parts sells them. I forget which one it is, or you could also buy them from Mouser or wherever. For that matter PV could identify the part for you. If I recall it is an RXE040 or maybe RXE030.

When that part burns up, the light bulb and power resistor should still let some sound through your horn. SO if you are ordering parts, disconnect the horn and measure if for continuity and maybe apply some signal to it to see if the diaphragm is blown in it. Also, check the light bulb and 5 ohm power resistor on the sound guard board for opens.

TysonRprince

Post by TysonRprince » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 am

Well I called up Peavey and I talked to a sales rep that told me it was a 60 Volt Varistor, though I'm not so sure she was a 100% sure what she was talking about. It was $1.99. This sounds much different than a Polyswitch. Any ideas what it is? Thanks!

Anyways, the part did burn up and the horn does not currently work but you believe that the horn may have blown due to this?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:43 pm

I don't know the horn blew, but I surely would check. SImple enough. Th energy that burnt up the polyswitch had to go through the horn too.

A polyswitch is a little part that once it gets a certain level of current through it, it pops to a higher resistance. That is not a varistor really.

here is the simple schematic of the board.
Attachments
PV Soundguard.PDF
(21.36 KiB) Downloaded 2150 times

noelmem1

Post by noelmem1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:28 am

just received 20 pcs of these RXEF030 ( reset fuse 300mA) from RS Components Ltd pn 517-6613 about 43 cents a piece... 10pcs per pack. I'd get the $1.99 /pc anytime.

noelmem1
Attachments
rxef030.jpg
rxef030.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 7594 times