Peavey SP2G

This forum is for discussions on all kinds of Peavey speakers and enclosures.
Boomsauce

Peavey SP2G

Post by Boomsauce » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 am

I recently purchased a used pair of SP2G after getting them home I discovered the full range side of one of the speakers is not working. Peavey no longer carries the crossover. I can have it repaired buy a shop south of me but I would rather just buy a new one and save myself some headaches. Is there a comparable replacement available? Any assistance is appreciated thanks.

Josjor

Re: Peavey SP2G

Post by Josjor » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 pm

You could replace the whole unit with this:
http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/it ... eg%3B1800X

It's the same crossover frequency as the original unit and adds speakon connectors, a nice upgrade. Not sure about the size of the hole required, but you may need to do a bit of modification to the cabinet to make it fit.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Did you eliminate the possibility of a bad "switching 1/4" jack"?
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

WayneC

Post by WayneC » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 am

I had a similar problem and originally purchased replacement 1/4 inch switching jacks. Solved the problem immediately. You need a soldering iron and a solder remover (suction type).

THEN, when it showed up again on another speaker, I talked to my dealer, he suggested the Peavey contact cleaner spray. I thought it would be a wast of time, but tried it anyway. Problem went away and did not come back after about 4 applications.

I now have 3 cans of the stuff at all times and keep one in each toolkit.

Only thing to be careful with is that if sand blows around your sound gear, vac it out very well before using the cleaner as it is a lube as well and the sand does not come out as easy afterward.

I have 3 pairs of the speakers with the same crossover system.

Changing the crossovers to the smaller ones is a royal pain. I bought 2 new crossovers and never did install after a couple of tries to make it fit without looking odd. If you insist on changing the crossovers, then I suggest you put a Peavey handle in the existing crossover hole, and cut a new hole for the new crossover. A lot less work I think. And you get an extra handle on the back of the speaker. Handle should drop perfectly in (at leas I think it should from the look of it).