XR 600 and XR 680 same intermitent problem in mon and FX out

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
mendnit

XR 600 and XR 680 same intermitent problem in mon and FX out

Post by mendnit » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi everyone,
I have an XR600 and an XR680 that both have the same problem. Each of these amps had other issues that I was able to resolve. In testing them and cleaning them up, I found the main outs work very well. I plugged the Mon out into a separate amp and here is what I have:

- Mon out works intermitently. If I move the Mon out volume knob, I first get nothing, then I get some static, then the signal kicks in and it seems fine.
- When the Monitor out works, the the Effects out and the main out all work.
- When the Monitor out does not work, the effect out and the Main out does not work.
- If I let it set and run a signal through the amp, these 3 outputs will shut down, all at the same time, and when I move the Monitor volume knob around, the same process starts, first nothing, then static, then the signal pops through and is fine for a short while.

I've tried to clean the volume control with spray cleaner, but it works fine when it works. Also, the same symptoms can be recreated using the Effects out knob!

What is even weirder is that both amps have the same issue!

Any ideas??

Thank you in advance.

Mendnit

Enzo

Re: XR 600 and XR 680 same intermitent problem in mon and FX out

Post by Enzo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Pick one amp and work on it. Once you have it cured, the answer you find may or may not apply to the other. But don't confuse yourself by working on two at once thinking it WILL be the same.

Open it up, apply whatever signal you need to set up the conditions. Now use an insulated probe, like a wooden chopstick, and push agains all ribbon cables between subsections, and any other connections. Plus push on the circuit boards to give them a little flex. We ar looking for loose connections somewhere.