Replace one CS4080HZ with two IPR 3000's?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
noahkatz

Replace one CS4080HZ with two IPR 3000's?

Post by noahkatz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 am

I have two issues with the 4080HZ, used for subs in my home theater.

One channel drives a pair of MaelstromX-18's in a sealed box, wired for 8 ohms (four 2-ohm voice coils in series).

The other drives a Danley DTS-10 tapped horn, 4 ohms.

The issues are:

1) I just got a MiniDSP EQ to match and smooth the subs' response and apply sub-20 Hz HP filters.

Its output is 1V max, whereas the 4080HZ input sensitivity is 2.25V for max power.

The spec sheet says the 3000's input sensitivity is ~0.8V, so that should take care of that issue.

2) About one time in ten my circuit breaker trips on system powerup; it runs my entire system, including a 9-ch receiver and Buttkicker amp.

Question: Will two IPR 3000's have a significantly lower current inrush then one 4080HZ?

I'm hoping they will because of the absence of a large power xformer and reservoir caps.

Another question:

The sealed sub is much less efficient than the Danley; is it possible to share the load equally among both 3000's by bridging the left channels to drive one sub and the right channels to drive the other?

Speaking of bridging, SickNeedHelp said this:
SickNeedHelp wrote:How to bridge the 1600 has been covered in prior posts. It's exactly the same procedure for the 3000. Just be sure you understand that what is normally the hot connection of the B channel connector is actually ground (to the chassis) and what is normally ground of the B connector is hot. A+ to B- is the key.
Did he really mean to say signal ground, which is presumably isolated from chassis ground?

I don't see how what is normally the B+ output can magically become chassis ground by the user changing his wiring choice.

Marty McCann

Re: Replace one CS4080HZ with two IPR 3000's?

Post by Marty McCann » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

The CS-4080HZ is a Pro Audio amplifier, your application is one of consumer Hi Fi. You are however well beyond the average Hi Fi consumer with the gear you have. Your MiniDSP EQ is a Hi Fi product. You would have a similar problem with most Pro Audio Amps.

Now yes the IPR is sensitive to 0.775 Volts, and it would allow for more headroom in your Hi Fi processor, but only by 2.2 dB. You would be better off to use something like a small headphone amp to boost the output of your MiniDSP EQ and thus get out of the consumer Hi Fi level world.

>>>
is it possible to share the load equally among both 3000's by bridging the left channels to drive one sub and the right channels to drive the other?
<<<

If you were to Bridge the IPR-3000's, you would be much better off to bridge the individual amplifiers, by making one IPR left and one IPR right.

>>>
Did he really mean to say signal ground, which is presumably isolated from chassis ground?

I don't see how what is normally the B+ output can magically become chassis ground by the user changing his wiring choice.
<<<

No he told you right, i.e. the 'B' channel is different in polarity than the 'A' channel. This is done for valid technical reasons that are part of the proprietary design.

In order to run the IPR 3000 in Bridge Mode:

1) You connect the input signal to channel A.

2) You then use a TRS (balanced) cable to connect from the 'Thru' out of channel 'A' to the 'B' Channel input.

3) Then you must use two Neutrik speakon connectors with the positive speaker wire connected to a Speakon connected to channel 'A' positive (i.e. wired to 1+) and the negative speaker wire connected to a Speakon plugged into channel 'B' wired to negative (i.e. 1-).

Channel 'B' indeed has the positive rail connected to chassis ground. Now if you (and others) do NOT understand this, then please do not attempt to operate in bridge mode.

noahkatz

Re: Replace one CS4080HZ with two IPR 3000's?

Post by noahkatz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 pm

No he told you right, i.e. the 'B' channel is different in polarity than the 'A' channel. This is done for valid technical reasons that are part of the proprietary design...

Channel 'B' indeed has the positive rail connected to chassis ground. Now if you (and others) do NOT understand this, then please do not attempt to operate in bridge mode.[/quote]

I understand now that I know it's true, and why.

Thanks for the detailed bridging instructions.