Need amp repair

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey power amplifiers.
Bartman

Need amp repair

Post by Bartman » Mon May 27, 2013 9:10 pm

I have a GPS2600... got it cheap, came out of some smoky bar, but was somewhat working. It was distorting and lighting DDT lights, but I could tap on the top of it and it would clear up for a while, then start distorting again if it got bumped. so I opened it up and found one cold solder joint on one of the amp output transistors, so I soldered it up better, then tested it again... still had the DDT light come on if tapped or bumped, then got to looking at it closer and saw one of the output transisotrs had two of the legs CUT (so removed from circuit) and the cut parts were almost touching the heat sinks, thus when tapped, the ends would actually touch and cause distortion. I reconnected the cut legs back to the circuit board where they were supposed to go, but after that, I powered up and there was SMOKE. Shut off quickly. So, looks like it's going to need a full bank of transistors replaced and possibly some other parts. Too busy to do any more repairs on it myself, so want to send it in to Peavey factory repair.

Do I need any return number assigned to it or can I just ship it to the factory for repairs? And what's the address for shipping?

JoshM

Re: Need amp repair

Post by JoshM » Tue May 28, 2013 10:41 am

Here is all you need to know about sending equipment in to the factory for repair:

Factory Repair FAQ
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue May 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Or just TAKE it to the neaqrest Peavey repair station. We are all over the country, and most are able to handle a blown amp.

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Tue May 28, 2013 6:18 pm

Enzo wrote:Or just TAKE it to the neaqrest Peavey repair station. We are all over the country, and most are able to handle a blown amp.
Yes, that can be even better because you don't have to pay the crazy shipping prices to send your gear to Mississippi and back. Your gear will get a better vacation than you do! (and probably come back to you 10 pounds heavier because of all the fried food we will feed it when it is here!)
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Catfish. Yum.