mystery part in new PV14 box

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
lonegigger

mystery part in new PV14 box

Post by lonegigger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:48 pm

I just got a new PV14 mixer with a 'mystery part' in the data sheet bag. It's a black metal cube with a hole through it, about 1" square. I have no clue what it's for and could find no reference to it in the manual. Any ideas on it's purpose?

jim h

Re: mystery part in new PV14 box

Post by jim h » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:38 am

There should have been two "mystery parts" in the box. They are ferrite cores that allow our mixers to comply to FCC emissions standards. There also should have been an instruction sheet that would tell you what to do with them.
Attachments
Core Instructions Updated.pdf
(142.1 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

lonegigger

Post by lonegigger » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 am

PS: Now it all makes perfect sense and also why there was only one choke in the box. I don't have the USB mixer so I only need one. Thanks for the download. I looked again, and they definitely did not include that instruction sheet with the box. All this said, I've never ran into this on any mixer before and it seems almost like a design flaw that an extra 'wart' would have to be added to make it comply with the FCC standards in the country where it's brand name does business. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:09 pm

lonegigger wrote:PS: Now it all makes perfect sense and also why there was only one choke in the box. I don't have the USB mixer so I only need one. Thanks for the download. I looked again, and they definitely did not include that instruction sheet with the box. All this said, I've never ran into this on any mixer before and it seems almost like a design flaw that an extra 'wart' would have to be added to make it comply with the FCC standards in the country where it's brand name does business. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Actually, I believe that in this case it was a matter of the FCC changing the rules after the mixer was designed. You have to remember that the PV series has been in existence for around a decade, long before things like Bluetooth and Airplay, etc. came of full age.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

jim h

Post by jim h » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Google "cables with ferrite cores", click images. You will see it's quite a common practice to put ferrites on cables.

lonegigger

Post by lonegigger » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:35 pm

All makes sense to me. In testing the mixer today it is extremely quiet. My only concern is that the power cord does not fit tightly into the rear mixer AC receptacle and with the added weight of the choke attached is even less tight. I'll probably use it without the choke and try to avoid the FCC police (:

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:49 am

lonegigger wrote: I'll probably use it without the choke and try to avoid the FCC police (:
You probably rip that tag off your bed mattress, too, you crazy anarchist!!

:lol:
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro