Max Distance without RFI?

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
colliedogboy1

Max Distance without RFI?

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:23 am

A local church wants to put a CD burner 50 feet from their mixer. If we send signal from the Left Master Out via a 1/4" TS cable, will there likely be RFI noises in the signal? The CD burner has RCA input connectors, so we will be forced to convert to RCA at the burner location.
Also, they want to put a CD player at the same location and run a 50 foot cable back to the mixer. Same question.

They are doing this so someone can control each CD unit from the sanctuary. Their sound booth is in the rear, behind their baptistry
Thanks for any help on this.

Josjor

Re: Max Distance without RFI?

Post by Josjor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 am

Most likely, running a 1/4" TS cable will get you some buzz and signal loss.

For playback, I'd get one of these: http://www.rapcohorizon.com/p-376-tdiblox.aspx

For the recording, it takes a little bit more work. You either need to get a balanced line out of the mixer or use a DI to make it balanced. Then at the recorder end you need to make that back into the L/R RCA connectors.

Does the recorder have an IR remote? You might find it easier to get an IR remote relay unit like this one that can control up to eight devices: http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Rep ... xtender+ir
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 am

We can use the Left Master Out XLR connector to send a balanced line to the recorder, but how do we best convert to the RCA input jacks on the CD burner? The CD unit does not have an IR remote.

Peter Richter

Post by Peter Richter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 am

ART DTI
Peter Richter
Brisbane Audio Services - Sound and Lighting for Any Event
Brisbane, Australia
http://www.brisbaneaudioservices.com.au

Wooferhound

Post by Wooferhound » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:43 am

When running 25 feet or more I will always try to use a balanced line, but I have run into situations where I was forced to use longer lengths than that. For a long time I carried a 50 foot 1/4 inch cable that was well made and good shielding, I rarely used it but sometimes I had to. It worked well almost everytime.

I used to have a 130 foot snake that had 3 unbalanced channels in it. Occasionally the Singer/Guitar player would have an effect unit in his guitar rack and wanted to use it on his vocals. I would send the Effects Out from the mixer down one of those unbalanced channels to his effect unit and back to the mixer through another unbalanced line. Then there were two 25 foot cables onstage patching his effects into the snake. Total length was 310 feet unbalanced. I don't remember having any trouble with that at all.

It all depends on how noisy your RF environment is and how well the cables are made. Liston to it and make adjustment for any highs that may be lost and any noise you pick up.

In a real pinch, I have used Zipcord Speaker Wire to carry an unbalanced signal with surprisingly good results. It needs to be twisted really good to work well.
----- W o o f e r h o u n d -----

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Thank you all for tips. After we finish the job, I will post again and tell what we did.

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am

Peter, we did go with the ART DTI. It solved both sides of the equation, and for a great price! Thanks.