Recording with Peavey Mixers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
hz_on_scope

Re: Recording with Peavey Mixers

Post by hz_on_scope » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Looking over the last posts and noticing that 4 gb mem stick will not work as a sutiable recording memory stick for the FX (XX) mixers, I'm finding it harder to find a smaller mem. stick under 4gb in the stores right now as a matter a fact just today I did not find one stick in Best Buy or Future shop under 2 gb , will Peavey release a upgrade to the firmware to take this into account or is this a harware issue ?

Tried a 512, 1gb 2gb and 3gb works no problem, all differant manufactures of sticks ( formatted in FAT) when trying a 4 gb stick I have problems getting the mixer to reconize it ,, even when this stick has been virginized by a mem stick duplicator .... tryed leaving it pluged in the mixer for over 10 minutes just to see if it is a hand shake problem thinking that it would complete its reconization phase/hand shake in due course.

jim h

Post by jim h » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 am

I've been passing out some beta firmware that improves the compatibility with larger drives. I can't promise it'll work with them all, but it will improve your odds.

Just follow the normal update procedure, but use the version I've included in the zip file.
Attachments
PVY_V131b2.zip
(372.54 KiB) Downloaded 617 times

cyrax037

Post by cyrax037 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:24 am

I need some help with some recording issues. I've often recorded using the RCA rec out feature on mixers, and have gotten pretty good recordings of it.

So now, I'm looking for a way to record just an individual channel. For example, I have a couple friends that want to record a couple songs, (after getting the license from the company that makes the backing tracks, and the HFA royalty fees) and I want to record JUST their voice, but not the backing track, but they will most likely have to be singing with the track. I have access to the Peavey 16fx board, but its just the board, no external pre-amps and stuff. Its the one we use for normal church service, but I have access to do things like this sometimes. Does anyone know how I can get an audio out source, for individual XLR channels, such as one of the mics or whatever?

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 am

Yes, you can extract the signal from the Insert jack. However the channel EQ will not be a part of that signal.

You can also assign the vocal channel to a Sub and take the signal from the Sub output. This would be best as you would have the EQ in this output.

cyrax037

Post by cyrax037 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:28 pm

Alrighty, thats what I was thinking! Thanks!

cyrax037

Post by cyrax037 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Ok, I have another recording question, I hope this is a good place to put it, if not I can make a new topic for it.

So, if I was looking to make a VERY small time, home recording studio, and I was thinking about useing the Peavey PV8, mixer board pluged into my computer to do the recording. What else do I need, the bare minimum that I would need to get that started? Understanding that I wont have to be recording instraments mostly, mostly single vocals, that would be put to backing tracks.(Not counting a mic and cables, I'll probably get an SM58 mic)

I might also like to have it semi portable aswell.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Well to begin with you will need a recording program software package. There are plenty of them even Freeware, such as Audacity. Time to Google!

cyrax037

Post by cyrax037 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:14 am

yeah, I actually already intended to get Adobe Audition, I used a trial of it recently, and was really happy with it.

I was actually referring to equipment, other then the mixer board, my PC of course, and a mic, what else would I need to get quality recordings? Would I necessarily need an amp ad speakers, for that kind of setup, or could I get by with having the artist use a separate CD player with their backing track on it to sing to?

jkiessling

Post by jkiessling » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 pm

jon wrote:Hello. I have an FX 16 and am trying to record via usb (B port) to digital performer ver 5. While Performer sees and records from the Peavey the audio comes back "very" distorted and over driven sounding. I'm monitoring from the headphone out on the FX16. Also, even if the signal I send is very low, it "still" comes back distorted. I have played with all the levels I can find in DP% and the mixer, including the one in the digital display of the board itself but nothing seems to work.. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thanks!
Jon
Here is my suggestion:
1-press the Digital IO buttion and select USB
2-select the recording option and the recording gain setting.
3-if it is higher than 0, set this to 0.
4- if that is not the problem, make sure the FX16 processor is under 70% before recording, or it may be a problem. If your phantom power is on, there may be a problem with it.
I am not familiar with your program, but Audacity has a mic gain slider and records well, using the Peavy mixer option for input. Hope this helps.

cyrax037

Post by cyrax037 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:07 am

The 16FX we have at church, has a problem recording via the Thumbdrive port. At first we thought that maybe the card was too big ad causing a problem. But now, almost every time I try it, it says "Need More CPU" even tho the CPU is only at like 30%.

My advice, is if your recording a whole mix, then use the RCA rec out in the back, via an RCA to 3.5mm adapter to your laptop! Chances are you'll get cleaner audio then you would with the thumbdrive port anyway. I've used both, and the port sounds terrible compared to the other. Too much compression me thinks.

riverananda

Post by riverananda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:28 am

Hi there,

I am new to this site and hope this is the right place to post this question. If I should start a new thread please let me know.

I am renting a PV 20 for a live gig. I want to record the gig. I understand the two track limitation and I am OK with it. I would prefer not to use the USB interface but the analog interface. I am recording to an ipod equipped with a Belkin TuneTalkTM Stereo for iPod recorder which has a 3.5 mm stereo input. I have a cable that goes RCA L & R to single stereo 3.5 mm I did a test going from the "Tape Out" RCA on the PV 20 into the ipod recorder 3.5 stereo input and it works well except I am not able to change the recording level. The ipod recorder level is at max and I am still getting a very low signal from the mixer. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 am

Did you actually test it with live music inputs? I am asking because usually multiple channels in a live mix are very hot, often too hot for the recording medium. If you are not using all of the auxes, perhaps you would do better recording off of a Aux mix.

riverananda

Post by riverananda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Marty McCann wrote:Did you actually test it with live music inputs? I am asking because usually multiple channels in a live mix are very hot, often too hot for the recording medium. If you are not using all of the auxes, perhaps you would do better recording off of a Aux mix.
Thanks so much for the feedback. No, I just did a test with a single mic at the house of the person that owns the PV 20. I did notice that the light indicators were barely hitting the first mark even though the sound coming out of his speakers seemed pretty loud but then again, it was in his living room and I am positive as you suggest, that the feed will be much much hotter when we play next weekend in a hall full of people. If you have some time would you mind explaining how I could achieve what you are recommending? I m afraid I don't understand the question regarding usage of auxes where would I connect from the PV 20 into the digital recorder 3.5 mm stereo input? The mixer has 18 channels, two are being used as inputs from his DJ sound system and for the band we will be using 11 channels: bass, keyboard, four vocals, three trumpets and two percussion (timbales and congas). we will be using the two line outs for the speakers and the line outs for the monitors.

Conversely, there is a record level on the digital recorder which we can always set to a minimum.

Thanks so much again.

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:07 pm

You can use the 3rd Aux on the mixer to create your recording mix. You will need a 1/4" phone to mini cable to do this.

Or you can simply use the RCA recording outputs, but be advised that depending on your instrument complement, often a direct recording of the board mix is less than outstanding. Why is that? Simply because in many genre's of music the Electric Guitars, Bass guitar, and Drum Kit drive the acoustic space of the room to any where from 40 to 80% of the sound level, so often what come out of the board is lacking in those instruments. Many a soundman has been fired by a band that does not understand this.

So you can use the Aux bus to custom set the levels of each channel for a recording made from the output of that particular AUX mix.

Sorry, but I do not have the time to give you a tutorial on basic recording. I am late for a sound check myself as it is.

riverananda

Post by riverananda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Marty McCann wrote:You can use the 3rd Aux on the mixer to create your recording mix. You will need a 1/4" phone to mini cable to do this.

So you can use the Aux bus to custom set the levels of each channel for a recording made from the output of that particular AUX mix.
This is great info, I really appreciate it. I will check the PV 20 schematics to find the 3rd Aux and do online research on where/how to find the aux bus controls on each channel to set up my mix. I'll make sure to compensate for the bass and drums and will do a quick recording test during sound check to make sure it works OK.

Many thanks again and the best of luck with your endeavors.