ProFex II problems and fixes?

This forum is for discussions on the various types of Peavey processors and effects.
dhoffend

ProFex II problems and fixes?

Post by dhoffend » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi I've got a Peavey ProFex II multi-effects processor with some problems.

When it is turned on, the patch names are glitched out and when trying to change effects it says "Param Out Of Range (autocorrecting)" and sometimes "DSP Interface Error - resetting system".

This happened after a few days in a cold studio with some heating problems - I am attributing the problem to the 'cold' and maybe a battery that bit the dust?

First of all I am trying to find out if this is fixable or if my unit is toast.
Also I read about mods that replace the battery with a non-volatile memory chip that doesn't need a battery, and improved bit rate - does anyone know where I could get this done or repaired?
And finallay, do you think there is any way to salvage my old effects settings that I wrote?

Thanks for any and all help or responses!!!!!!!
~Derek

SemperFiSound

Re: ProFex II problems and fixes?

Post by SemperFiSound » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Derek,
If the memory was lost, the odds are your custom settings are gone as well.

Could be the cold, could be a low battery, could be the RAM where the firmaware is stored got some of its memory corrupted.

I am not a Peavey tech, but I do build computers.

In the absence of better advice, I would try to:
- Promise Enzo, Heath or Noelmem a nice bottle of scotch for any help they may be able to give
- Call Peavey Cusotmer Support
- bring the unit indoors and let it sit overnight
- plug it in to the wall and let it sit for a bit
- reload any firmware (this may or may not zap any custom settings)
- replace any battery that could be replaced

Best of luck,
Steve
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

dhoffend

Post by dhoffend » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks Steve!

I think the battery finally died in the cold. Letting it warm up and such didn't help - it needs a new battery. I found a guy who repairs Profex units and replaces the volatile chip with a non-volatile chip, which gets rid of the need for a battery. So I will probably go for this option and reprogram my patches later.

Thanks for the suggestions!
~Derek

e-merlin

Post by e-merlin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Yep, the battery was the Achilles Heel of the ProFex, TubeFex and other related units. Get in touch with Ken Fox over on the Yahoo TubeFex group. He's got some batteryless mods left for the TubeFex, and he may have some suggestions for the ProFex.

I wish I had kept my ProFex II. It would fit my needs lots better than my TubeFex.
"Tone is in the fingers, chops are in the woodshed." e-merlin

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uplo ... 20x480.png

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 pm

Derek,
Please post back with the results of your new chip adventure and the cost.
I am sure others may benefit from your experiences.

Cheers,
Steve

dhoffend

Post by dhoffend » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:01 pm

I will post back with my Profex II adventures. Actually Ken Fox is the guy I found who I was planning to send my box to, so it's funny he was mentioned as a suggestion. I guess I was on the right track! He also does a chip upgrade which is supposed to decrease background noise and make the sound warmer - I'm undecided on that one although it sounds good, because i've come to rely on the particular sounds I have.

Anyways, thanks for the replies - I'll be sure to get back here after I send my box out to Ken. If it's ok with the forum, I can post his current offers and costs.

Best,
~Derek

e-merlin

Post by e-merlin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Ken's a really helpful guy. I would love to send my TF to him for a good cleaning and updating, but I never seem to have the money. Anyhow, I've got to get a couple of low-watt power amps to use with it.

silverburst

Post by silverburst » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 pm

I was getting the same error on my Profex II -- DSP Interface Error - Resetting System.

Resetting the memory (Hold the PLAY/GLOBAL buttons down when you power up) allows me to play until I shut the Profex down again.

Anyway, I was also getting a Battery Low message, so I figured the problem was with the battery. It is easy to replace -- just google "3/V60R" and you will see the battery for sale for about $5 all over the internet. You'll need the 3-pin version, a soldering iron, and enough skills with the iron not to melt the circuit board.

Just finished soldering the battery onto the mother board about an hour ago -- plugged it in, and... "DSP Interface Error -- Resetting System".

After initializing the memory like usual, it worked just fine, and the battery warning was gone. Oh well, I still love that thing. Anybody have a footswitch they want to sell for the Profex II?

Rawg71

Post by Rawg71 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:15 pm

silverburst wrote: Anybody have a footswitch they want to sell for the Profex II?
Second me on that...I need that footswitch also....will it work with any other midi foot controller?...btw..this is my first post here...I just aquired from an old friend a peavey rig with ProfxII,rockmaster preamp,and a classic series 120/120+ a Sheffield 4X12 cab....that info on the ProFxII battery just clued me in on my main problem with it...thnx...seems like a great forum. :D
I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why. -Nigel Tufnel

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:33 am

Welcome, Rawg.
If you lurk around here enough, you may actually learn something......

We're still awaiting Derek's results from his adventures......Derek?

Cheers,
Steve

Rawg71

Post by Rawg71 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:04 pm

SemperFiSound wrote:Welcome, Rawg.
If you lurk around here enough, you may actually learn something.
Hehe...thats what I'm hoping for....thnx. :)
I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why. -Nigel Tufnel

e-merlin

Post by e-merlin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:06 pm

Rawg71 wrote:
silverburst wrote: Anybody have a footswitch they want to sell for the Profex II?
Second me on that...I need that footswitch also....will it work with any other midi foot controller?...btw..this is my first post here...I just aquired from an old friend a peavey rig with ProfxII,rockmaster preamp,and a classic series 120/120+ a Sheffield 4X12 cab....that info on the ProFxII battery just clued me in on my main problem with it...thnx...seems like a great forum. :D
The ProFex II will work with other MIDI controllers, but not all functions are available. The ProFex II footswitch can be powered from the PFII and will work in what I call "stompbox mode" where you can switch individual effects in a preset on and off. I'm not sure what Peavey calls that function, but you can't control the PF like that with a different footswitch.

Rawg71

Post by Rawg71 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:18 pm

Thats all I'm really looking for is that stompbox type of control...would be sad if I can't locate the right control for it...you know how its like pulling teeth to read how to set the midi up in the manual :lol:
I remember what the peavey footswitch looked like...but it is all the manual refers too. It would be nice to hear from someone who used or uses the PFXII with a different controller than the original.(as in which ones works best with it...and what function it will control,and tips on live situations with it).The reason I wanted the peavey was some controllers hafta be re programmed every time you turn them on. BTW...are the RAM cards for the unit still obtainable anywhere to anyones knowledge?Thnx :)

Danimal

Post by Danimal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Rawg71 wrote:
Second me on that...I need that footswitch also....
I have one. I've not used the Profex II for years, and was going to take it to a flea market this weekend to try and get some cash for it. I have the Foot Controller and the ProFex II and a power supply for each.

Anyway, I plugged it in to make sure that it still worked and I had the DSP initializing error on the box, which let me to this thread. I powered it on holding Play and Global, and it no longer has the error.

Anybody still need the Controller, and/or a spare Profex II. I'd rather sell it from the comfort of my own chair than have to take it to a flea market. I'll ship anywhere in the USA.

Thanks,
Dan