DMG5V

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey microphones
studiodtk5

DMG5V

Post by studiodtk5 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Anyone have experience with the DMG-5V?

I am currently using a PVM 16 Podium Microphone in my studio for talk back. I was intrigued with this microphone. The multi patterns and the micro switch are great features, but does it sound good?
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

JoshM

Re: DMG5V

Post by JoshM » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Yes, it does sound good.

I've had the opportunity to use it a few times for demonstration purposes and it does sound good, I think it sounds better than the PVM 16.

However, it is a slightly different form factor compared to the PVM 16. It requires the whole base that it comes with, whereas the PVM 16 can just plug into a surface.

Another neat thing about the DMG5V is that you can use it with just a regular microphone cable with an XL type connector on the end, if you need it to be portable. In the event that you need the microphone to stay in one place all the time, you can use the terminal strip input which is inside the unit. There is a slot in the back panel which allows you to stick the wire into the unit, then you can terminate the wire to the barrier terminals inside the unit.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks Josh!
Darren

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:27 am

I bet I've tried at least a dozen different podium mics from at least four manufacturers including Peavey, Shure, Audio-Technica, and CAD. I still can't find one that sounds as good and is as well behaved as the Peavey PVM480.
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Now I wouldn't really call that a "podium" mic. Sure you can use it on a podium, but the form factor is much larger. I would put in the category of the US President using Shure SM57s on the podium. Yes they can be used, but they are a general purpose microphone, not a "Podium" microphone.

I like the form factor of the podium style for talk back in my studio. Although I have a number of PVM480 microphones, it will be a bit more in the way and cumbersome than the podium style microphones.

Have you tries the Electro Voice Podium microphones? I thought those were really good.
Darren

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 am

studiodtk5 wrote:Have you tries the Electro Voice Podium microphones? I thought those were really good.
Are you talking about the EV "PolarChoice" series microphones?

I think the DMG5V is a similar type of mic. At least the mic capsule end looks similar and I think they sound similar, though I had not heard an EV PolarChoice mic for a while.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 pm

JoshM wrote:
studiodtk5 wrote:Have you tries the Electro Voice Podium microphones? I thought those were really good.
Are you talking about the EV "PolarChoice" series microphones?

I think the DMG5V is a similar type of mic. At least the mic capsule end looks similar and I think they sound similar, though I had not heard an EV PolarChoice mic for a while.

Yes. That is the microphone I was talking about. Like you, it has been awhile since I have heard those.
Darren

Josjor

Post by Josjor » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:16 am

studiodtk5 wrote:Now I wouldn't really call that a "podium" mic. Sure you can use it on a podium, but the form factor is much larger. I would put in the category of the US President using Shure SM57s on the podium. Yes they can be used, but they are a general purpose microphone, not a "Podium" microphone.

I like the form factor of the podium style for talk back in my studio. Although I have a number of PVM480 microphones, it will be a bit more in the way and cumbersome than the podium style microphones.

Have you tries the Electro Voice Podium microphones? I thought those were really good.
Couple it with one of these, and the form factor gets a lot closer to the skinny podium mics.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/S ... 0-/35-2720
www.yandasmusic.com
Don't believe me. I'm just guessing.
Neutiquam Erro

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 am

Josjor wrote: Couple it with one of these, and the form factor gets a lot closer to the skinny podium mics.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/S ... 0-/35-2720
Yes, I have used the Shure SM-81 with a gooseneck like that before. It worked GREAT as a lectern mic and since it was more robust than the typical stem type lectern mic, it seemed that people did a better job keeping their hands off of it.

btw... podiums are things you stand on, whilst lecterns are things you stand behind.
Last edited by JoshM on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios

colliedogboy1

Post by colliedogboy1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 pm

By golly, Josh, you're right! I had never thought about it before. :D

JoshM

Post by JoshM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:40 pm

colliedogboy1 wrote:By golly, Josh, you're right! I had never thought about it before. :D
You want to see something funny?

Customer orders a "Podium" for their meeting. They assume they are actually getting a lectern, but are not familiar with the difference between the two.

Cue up confused look when customer arrives to find a box for them to stand ON, but nothing to put their notes upon and to stand behind.

A good sales person will know the difference between the two and will clarify the order when it is placed, "Do you want something to stand on, or do you want something to stand behind? You stand on a podium and you stand behind a lectern." The really good sales people will sell both, you want something to stand on AND something to stand behind... this way you get two lines for additional billing. :lol: 8)
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs
Burnt Orange Studios