No audio output on my Vypyr

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
zekesgotwheels

No audio output on my Vypyr

Post by zekesgotwheels » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:32 am

Hi,

I've been recording with my Vypyr 75 onto my four track lately. Because of the general cluster and clutter of wires, I ended up tripping over them whilst the adapter pin was still in the record out jack. I removed it instantly, without anything becoming lodged into the amp itself, but I was wary about what to expect. Now, when I turn it on, I can still hear the input signal being modelled by the amp, but it's not producing any sound or output.

This is the second time in a year this has happened to me and I am incredibly frustrated with this. I have already had to send it off once and do not want to do so again. If this is a common problem, or anyone has any tips for fixing this at home, I'd love to hear them. I love this amp but the frequency with which it screws itself up is getting ridiculous.

Thanks.

dalrymple

Re: No audio output on my Vypyr

Post by dalrymple » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:03 pm

"clutter of wires, I ended up tripping over them"

"the frequency with which it screws itself up"

Obviously, these statements are at odds. I feel your pain, but fear you will need to get the jack replaced. Just do it. You want it working, and there is simply no good substitute.

One solution for the future is a longer cable with plenty of slack.

Dalrymple

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 pm

You may have broken the adapter on the wires, bent some pins in the plug, or even broke some connections on the board that the plug sits on. If it's not working, you probably ought to send it in again. You can't really blame the amp for being crappy if you tripped over the wires and broke something. That's kinda like blaming a car for being crappy because you ran it off the road. Operator error. 8) If the budget supports it, I'd suggest micing the amp for your recordings rather than using the record out.
The sound guy's job is to make everyone equally unhappy.

zekesgotwheels

Post by zekesgotwheels » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm

dalrymple wrote:"clutter of wires, I ended up tripping over them"

"the frequency with which it screws itself up"

Obviously, these statements are at odds. I feel your pain, but fear you will need to get the jack replaced. Just do it. You want it working, and there is simply no good substitute.

One solution for the future is a longer cable with plenty of slack.

Dalrymple
Ok, I know that it may seem like the cables are at fault. Believe me, they're not. I've been living in / recording in small rooms for the last two years now, I'm usually pretty good at keeping things in order and I know when a dodgy cable is the problem. This doesn't usually happen, but it did now and that's that. I've been replacing cables in order to try and solve this problem, but nothing is actually happening. I can hear the input signal being processed by the amp; but there is no sound coming out. I've had this problem a couple of times before, and it's usually resolved by just turning things on an off and - like you say - swapping cables around, but now it's just refusing to turn on at all, which is a problem that I've had before as well and it's frustrating.

It's not that I don't appreciate your help or anything, or if I misinterpreted what you were saying (sorry!). In future, I'm keeping everything cleaner around my recording space. But I was just wondering if there is any solution to this without having to send it off? If you were saying replace the output jack, that's cool and I'll have to bite the bullet and get it sent off.

Cheers anyway, sorry if I come over a bit angry, all of my equipment is in the process of dying at the minute and it's disheartening to see it happen to something else. I'm not blaming the amp for being crappy, it's held me in pretty good stead so far but recording with it becomes a little bit of a nightmare as I don't have enough cash to get a decent microphone for it.

kcducttaper

Post by kcducttaper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:34 am

An SM57 will only run you between $50-100 and they're pretty decent for micing amps.
The sound guy's job is to make everyone equally unhappy.

WashburnTabu

Post by WashburnTabu » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:04 am

you'll need a mic preamp to go with the mic.
My name is WT, and I approve this opinion.

Dave_LP

Post by Dave_LP » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

I don't think anyone explained how the headphone/record out jack works. When nothing is plugged into the jack, the normally closed connections route the preamp sound to the power amp. When you plug into it, the preamp sound goes only to the cable that you plugged in. When you unplug the cable, the internal connection INSIDE the jack sends the sound back to the power amp again.

When you tripped over the cable, the plug bent the normally closed connection inside the jack. Now, there is no connection to the power amp. A new jack will be required. It's a 1.8" mono jack with NC (normally closed) connections. There will be 3 solder lugs on it ... a common, an input, and an output connection.

A local Peavey dealer might be able to replace the jack without you having to pay freight. It's a simple job to do.