New Vypyr VIP 2 owner

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Sparkopath

New Vypyr VIP 2 owner

Post by Sparkopath » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 am

Hey there,
I just bought a VIP 2 and am wondering what the best way to record with it is. I love the amp modeling sounds that come with it and I have a Digitech GNX4 guitar workstation. What I want is to record on to the GNX4 or through it to the computer but I want the amp models of the Peavey. The GNX4 has its own amp models but I wanted an actual guitar amp sound. I have a Roland KC300 for the bass and drum machine playback, but how do I get the Peavey sounds?

One option to configure my setup is run the GNX4 and any other foot pedals straight into the VIP then record to computer/daw that way, but I worry about the drum machine and the bass track destroying the amp on the guitar setting.

Another is to plug the VIP into either the GNX4's line in or the guitar input. Neither of which allow me to hear thru the VIP, but I can hear it thru the Roland. However it does let me record to the GNX4's onboard recorder.

Or I could mic it up, but with digital I feel it loses something in the translation and I am not in a very sound proof area.

Any other suggestions?

This thing needs a line out so it can amp a cabinet or something. The Headphone jack just doesn't seem like the right thing for this.

Thanks

jackstrat

Re: New Vypyr VIP 2 owner

Post by jackstrat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:57 am

It is hard to accept but the headphone jack does a pretty remarkable job for recording out. However, I found that when running the headphone jack out to my TAPCO mixer, I had to run the headphone out to one mono input; when I connected in stereo the signal got messed up.

I am also a long time GNX 4 owner. The amps and effects are pretty fantastic even for this day and time, and the looper capability is in a league of its own (8 channels, unlimited recording capability)

jack

Sparkopath

Post by Sparkopath » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks, Jack. That helps some. Do you have any other tips, tricks, secrets or war stories about either the VIP or the GNX?

jackstrat

Post by jackstrat » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Regarding the VIP, not much. I use it everyday and it is a like hate relationship. I love playing loud and proud, and so the high-gain amps are still a thrill. However, normally, most of my playing is acoustic guitar, and the amp shines for that as well. Also, I found the hi-gain amps sound best with little or no of the onboard effects enabled.

Regarding the GNX4, I was an early adopter. Had one of the first retail versions sold/delivered. The MFX SuperModels really help it out, though lately, I use the standard amps. I use it a ton for loops /recording, and one time, all of my equipment basically ran through it. I posted a review of it way back in the day, with some helpful links:

http://thewoodshop.20m.com/digitech_gnx4.htm

JackL

Sparkopath

Post by Sparkopath » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:22 pm

Killer GNX4 review! Thanks! Very helpful there! I love your connection diagram. So many toys, LOL!

I am thinking about running the GNX4 in to the computer to control recording and get drum and bass all synced up and just run the Vypyr VIP in to the USB and try to select it for another track input. Haven't tried that yet but it might work. Only thing is it won't be running thru the GNX4 at all, but I have stomp boxes, wah, and all the stuff on the amp so should get the sounds I want that way. If it works. Think I will pick up a Sanpera 1 today too.

Thanks again,
Sparky

Sparkopath

Post by Sparkopath » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 am

Ok, now I'm just confused. I tried to record a test track in Pro Tracks Plus and it doesn't recognize the Peavey as an input thru USB. Also tried in Adobe Audition and no sound. I go in to setup and it says it is there, but no sound anywhere. At one point I thought I fried the new Peavey cuz I wasn't getting any sound out of the amp, but then I figured out that the USB cuts out any amp sound for some bizarre reason. Unpluged or with no DAW open it works again. Are we just not allowed to listen to what we play thru the amp when trying to record? What's the deal? At the moment, it seems like mic-ing the amp is my only option.

Agileman

Post by Agileman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:09 am

Sparkopath wrote:Ok, now I'm just confused. I tried to record a test track in Pro Tracks Plus and it doesn't recognize the Peavey as an input thru USB. Also tried in Adobe Audition and no sound. I go in to setup and it says it is there, but no sound anywhere. At one point I thought I fried the new Peavey cuz I wasn't getting any sound out of the amp, but then I figured out that the USB cuts out any amp sound for some bizarre reason. Unpluged or with no DAW open it works again. Are we just not allowed to listen to what we play thru the amp when trying to record? What's the deal? At the moment, it seems like mic-ing the amp is my only option.
Most recording software will have an option to choose the input device. You will have to change it from whatever it's default is.
You can pull the headphone plug out slightly, this will give your amp speaker sound and headphone output for a line in at the same time. Adding a backing track to the aux in and running the headphone out to the software did not sound well for me.
I think the vip manual says you can listen through the head phones while recording with the usb. I have a 4 channel firewire preamp (2 preamp'd and 2 line in's) for mic's and instrument inputs like the guitar/ipod/line in or outs. Ipod for backing tracks on input 3, line in input (level adjusted) and amp on input 1 pream'd input monitoring both tracks I can hear both with no noticeable lag/latency. Your pc/laptop cpu and configuration will determine your latency.
For me the best recording quality is to use the backing track mp3 as a track and then record the guitar track while listening to the backing track by ipod headphones seperate from the amp (guitar only from amp). Then sync the guitar track to the backing track in reaper or garageband with flex time. Hope that helps some...
Side note. I built a cheap isolation box for my amp with some recycled cardboard boxes and some hot glue, then put a lot of foam rubber inside. I made a box for both the front and rear of the amp with a 1 foot baffled vent to the rear for ventilation. Worked well for mic'ing but ultimatey a hassle, as the headphone out of the vypyr worked just as well.

Sparkopath

Post by Sparkopath » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 am

Hi Agileman,
Thanks for the tips. I am still testing out my best quality recording options. Currently I have it mic'd in to the GNX4 with headphones connected to the GNX so I can play along with drums etc. I will give the headphone jack another try.

My computer claimed to immediately recognize the VIP and installed some drivers automatically, but the DAWs (Adobe Audition and Pro Tracks Plus) didn't seem to like it at all. Do I need different drivers? I couldn't get the disc that came with it to run or even be recognized so I ordered a new disc drive, lol. The old one is a retread anyway. It should be here soon.

I looked online at ReValver and Reaper but wasn't sure if I needed them. What's the low down on them? Anyone got a brief "it does this really well and I love it" description?