Your official Vypyr VIP thread

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Nodean

Re: Your official Vypyr VIP thread

Post by Nodean » Sat May 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Jds22 do you still have the 75? What are your thoughts on it?

Rockerducks

Post by Rockerducks » Sat May 04, 2013 2:49 pm

Anyone know why the VIP 2 or 3 amps don't have a line out? Sure would have been handy.

AvivX

Post by AvivX » Sat May 04, 2013 3:24 pm

It will be available in shops at my country in 2 months, cant wait!
90% im buying the Vip 2

jds22

Post by jds22 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 am

Nodean wrote:Jds22 do you still have the 75? What are your thoughts on it?
I really liked it. It's easy to get good tones out of, plenty loud for my needs, and still sounds good at low volumes.

I sold it to pay for a Blackstar HT40. Unfortunately after I got the BS I realized that I like the Vyp better. I ended up getting another Vyp but went with a tube 60 this time. I do think the tube 60 sounds better than the 75 but not by much.

I spent some time with the VIP 3 yesterday and couldn't find any reason to buy it. I think my 60 sounds better and I didn't care for the LCD screen. It makes it harder to navigate and adds no benefit as far as I can tell.

For now I'll stick with my tube 60.

Hawkeyye

Post by Hawkeyye » Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Looking at the VIP 1. But as a metal player I'm concerned about the loss of the DZL, Rec and K-Stein models from the 15. Can anyone comment on this and if the new version of XXX and 6534 on the VIP make up for the loss? What does the 6534 sound like?

Also, when did these come out? I am surprised by the lack of reviews for the VIP's (I can't find a single review or comparison) or user feedback.

Thanks.

jdalf

Post by jdalf » Sun May 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Hawkeyye wrote:Looking at the VIP 1. But as a metal player I'm concerned about the loss of the DZL, Rec and K-Stein models from the 15. Can anyone comment on this and if the new version of XXX and 6534 on the VIP make up for the loss? What does the 6534 sound like?

Also, when did these come out? I am surprised by the lack of reviews for the VIP's (I can't find a single review or comparison) or user feedback.

Thanks.
Well, I'm not a metal player, I like clean to brown sound gain, but my favorite heavy sound on the older amp was the 6505. The new model has the XXX, Butcher, 6505 and 6534, they all sound heavy to me, those should cover a lot of bases.

My local GC got these in April 24th, they told me
My head's in Mississippi

Peavey's: Generation Standard,Limited EXP ST, Falcon Custom,Vypyr 30, VIP 40

barks62

Post by barks62 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 pm

I have a Vypyr 15 and I agree that it does the hi gain sounds phenomenally well. I was worried about the loss of the Rectofier amp model as well, but from what I understand the VIP's have very similar models just with different names.

I am not a fan of the 6505 model, or the real 6505 amp, so if that's the best hi gain they can come up with I'll be disappointed. But I don't think that will be the case. I think they'll have a good Rectofier type model in there somewhere.

I need an amp I can use to play live, and one that can be controlled with a Sanpera (which can't connect to the 15), that's the only reason I'm upgrading at all. The Vypyr 15 sounds great to me, but I agree with what someone else said, that if I have to upgrade I might as well go with the VIP for future compatibility and functionality issues.

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Rockerducks wrote:Anyone know why the VIP 2 or 3 amps don't have a line out? Sure would have been handy.

They do, you can use the Headphone output as a line out no problem. One of my best friends records with his Vypyr like that and it sounds great.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Rockerducks

Post by Rockerducks » Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 pm

But the USB and headphone cuts out the internal speaker. As soon as warranty is up, I'll do the necessary tech work to put one in.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am

The headphone jack does NOT cut off the internal speaker if you push it in all the way and then withdraw it to the first stop. Now you have headphone out to your recorder, AND speaker function. Cant be beat for recording.
Dalrymple

Rockerducks

Post by Rockerducks » Thu May 09, 2013 8:35 am

It might work on yours but not on mine. Its a stereo jack. If pulling it out half way it'll be mono. There's pin in the jack that open's the speaker out. I'm just going to bypass it.

Klink

Post by Klink » Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Whether it's a stereo or mono jack it all comes out in mono whatever you do as none of the fx are stereo (actually that's the old Vypyrs but I assume the same in the VIPs).

jdalf

Post by jdalf » Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 am

I ran my acoustic-electric through the vip last night, sound good! this amp wears a lot of hats. Nice and clear acoustic tones here.

Had the house to myself so I cranked up some electric amps, nice. I'm lovin the univibe with the butcher or brit red model, they respond well to volume knob changes, gets my Band of Gypsies on with my Falcon, oh, yeah.

2 weeks into it, I'm a VIP fan, good job, Peavey
My head's in Mississippi

Peavey's: Generation Standard,Limited EXP ST, Falcon Custom,Vypyr 30, VIP 40

Photo_G

Post by Photo_G » Fri May 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Has anyone tried to run the VIP3 with an FCB1010 yet?

Thanks,
G

Isakale

Post by Isakale » Wed May 29, 2013 11:15 pm

I have never used amps before, but I want to get one for my new Taylor acoustic. I was thinking the Vypyr VIP 1 would be nice incase I decided to buy a bass or electric guitar... But I have a few questions about this amp.

First off, is this a good amp for acoustic? It's features look mostly for electric guitar...
What does on-board looper mean? Does that mean the amp itself has a loop pedal in it, or it can simply be used with a looper?
I am seeing lots of effects on the display of this amp, can you use all of them without buying anything extra, like their Sanpera pedal?
Does the USB interface work well?
And lastly, will only 20 watts be enough volume to make the purchase necessary? (Will it be much louder than the guitar, unplugged?)

The amp sounds too good to be true, and I am not finding much online by way of reviews.
I suppose I just want an amp that gets decently loud for house playing, supports and sounds good with acoustic guitars and also if I could use that USB feature to record, and it sounds good, that is definitely an added bonus!

Thanks so much!!!