Your official Vypyr VIP thread

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
lionheart

Re: Your official Vypyr VIP thread

Post by lionheart » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:11 pm

I've a feeling we'll see a replacement out for the VIP series before the software appears/eventually functions properly - no doubt after numerous updates . Call me a cynic if you like but doesn't this feel somewhat familiar to us series 1 Vypyr devotees ! We, I feel ,all eventually gave up on the idea of a "fix" for many "issues" with the series 1 amps and resigned ourselves to being left on the sidelines in the wake of the new model's release which we were all pinning so many hopes on ! I hope the VIP series eventually delivers all we hoped it would before the concept of "the new model" becomes a reasonably justifiable fear of yet another half-baked ,half-cocked rush job being foisted upon the masses before the opposition can release their equally ill conceived model !

raichea

Post by raichea » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:16 pm

jds22 wrote:
:lol:

dwimmerlaik

Post by dwimmerlaik » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:14 pm

lionheart wrote:Call me a cynic if you like

Ok. You're a cynic! :)

But seriously. I'm coming 'round to your way of thinking.

I'm hoping for the best. I hope the VIP is not just a stop gap product to hold a place for maybe a couple of years while they get something else (possibly better) to market at which time VIP owners are left out in the cold. When that as yet un-named product is announced I hope it will be reverse compatible or through conversion make it possible to use presets made with the current VIP and Vypyr edit. I'd hate to buy a VIP now only to be forced to completely re-do all my presets and settings on the new model. I see this as a major design flaw with Line 6 products. None of their different product lines and even some models within the same product line can share presets.

The launch of the VIP, Vypyr edit, and the Vypyr community has been abysmal. I created this thread and took it upon myself to update the status here and in the other threads asking for information as much as possible because nobody at Peavey seems to be taking the initiative. I hope they take this as a learning experience. Peavey really needs to hire someone who is a permanent forum moderator, handles new media, and online promotions.

Despite all that criticism I would like to once again express my love for Peavey products and also say again that the VIP is a great sounding amp. I would recommend them to anyone who's need fits the VIP's application. I sincerely hope that when Vypyr edit and the community are fully available they are phenomenal and fully functional on day one. That would certainly justify the delay and make those who have already bought the VIP happy. It would also encourage those (like me) who are waiting for full functionality to go out and buy one ASAP.
"A lot of people told me I was crazy. In retrospect, they were probably correct." -Hartley Peavey

lothar34

Post by lothar34 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 am

as cheap as it is, its worth it for the acoustic and bass gimmick. same as the mustang is worth it for the twin. all zillion settings may not be useful but several great ones do do make them worth the coin.

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 am

My new Vypyr VIP-2 arrived yesterday, and it seems a great all-around amp for my purposes.

I had to reprogram all the preset banks, am still waiting for the backordered Sanpera pedal, but already used it on a gig and was very happy with the sound.

Yes, the bass is limited in volume but sounds fine for a 12" speaker combo amp, at least on a par with most similar ones I've had.

I'm not crazy about the 12 string model and the sitar is so bad that I can't believe they call it a sitar, but those are my only complaints so far.

junkerde

Post by junkerde » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

the sitar is lackluster at best, not to mention how bad the pitch shifter is (bought a digitech whammy instead). Yes this is variable but they shouldve kept the rectifier, jsx models....

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:38 pm

Wow, there are a LOT of comments on the vips. So, without finding what I was wondering about by searching, and not wanting to spend two days sifting through posts...

I just bought a vip 1. I love it, and it is LOUD. So loud, in fact, that I'm kind of scared to crank it. Is it really going to handle all that? I mean, has there been any issues with blown speakers or anything? The factory presets, a lot of them, are louder than I expected the amp itself to max out at, and those I've only cranked to 4/5ish.

argumon

Post by argumon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Has anyone both, a Vypyr 15 and a VIP model and can compare the tones? From the Tone King videos, I would say that the VIP 1 sounds better than the Vypyr 15 in both, clean and overdrive channel. Is it just YouTube, or are the VIP's a significant improvement in sound over the old Vypyrs?
I am not satisfied with the sound of my Vypyr 15 and now also have a Mustang I V2 here. But it sounds muffled compared to the Vypyr and the controls are a nightmare compared to the Vypyr. So maybe one of the VIP's is the right choice for me?
I am not sure, which one to aim for. Just for home usage, the VIP 1 might be sufficient. But does the VIP 2 sound significantly better?

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:41 pm

If you can afford the $70 difference in price go with the vip2. It has a lot more to offer then the vip1, More stumps, effects, instruments and 12" speaker. And sounds good at bedroom volumes as well as cranked up.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:22 pm

My experience with the VIP compared to my series 1's is that they sound the same. I went to buy a VIP, but after fooling with it realized there was no good reason to spend the extra $$, since there was no improvement in the overall sound. A few different bells and whistles, but the same basic tone.
In addition, some of my favorite amp models were missing from the VIP, so that sealed the deal for me. I didnt need a guitar amp that could make believe it was a bass amp too, so I passed.
I expect about the same from the Vypro, same basic tone, just more of it, so I'm in no rush to spend $$ on more of the same that is just organized differently. A new solid state/digital amp using the same basic transtube technology of series 1, but more of it. When I hear a version that sounds better than the ones I have now, I'll own it. The VIP was not that. More complex/expensive does not equal better tone, just more $$.

I want something that sounds better than my tube 60, and havent heard that yet. I look forward to fooling with a Vypro in the future, but from what I read here, just more of the same, not better, just more. If it sounds the same as a Vypyr 30, just with different amp models, well...
Dalrymple

argumon

Post by argumon » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:09 pm

dalrymple wrote:My experience with the VIP compared to my series 1's is that they sound the same. I went to buy a VIP, but after fooling with it realized there was no good reason to spend the extra $$, since there was no improvement in the overall sound. A few different bells and whistles, but the same basic tone.
My VIP 1 arrived today, and after a hours testing against a Vypyr 15 with an A/B pedal, I definitely favour the VIP. For some amp sims, I would agree. Eg. the Classic sound very similar on both models. But especially on the cleaner tones, for my ears Peavey made great enhancements. Especially Attack/Decay seems much refined to me, the cleaner tones sound much more like an acoustic guitar, less digital. Maybe this comes from the variable instrument technology for supporting acoustic guitars? I would see the VIP on par with my THR-10 for clean tones, which none of my other amps could match until now.
And I also like the orange channel. On the Vypyr 15, with the Birt 80s when switching from green channel and max gain to red channel an min gain, there is a significant gap. On the VIP, the orange channel bridges that gap.
dalrymple wrote:In addition, some of my favorite amp models were missing from the VIP, so that sealed the deal for me. I didnt need a guitar amp that could make believe it was a bass amp too, so I passed.
Yes, but one of my complains of the old Vypyrs was, that they have so many amp sims, but many of these sound very much the same, mostly differ in the gain level. The VIP has less amp sims, but these sound more distinguishable to me. So I think, I have about the same number of different sounds as before.

I also have a Line6 Spider 15 and a Fender Mustang I V2 here, and could never decide which ones to sell because all have their pro's and con's. I like the Mustang for it's very variable sounds and great clean sounds, but it sounds quite muffled to me. The Spider has also great clean tones and sounds less muffled to me than the mustang. But I prefer the high gain channels of the Vypyr 15 over the Line6.
Now the VIP 1 has even better clean sounds than the Line6 for my ears and better high gain like the Vypyr 15. So my Spider goes on eBay. And for me, the VIP is better than the Vypyr 15 in any aspect, to the 15 is also for sale now. I am a bit un decided about the Mustang, but it's controls drive me nuts, the Vypyr controls are the best of all IMHO. I will use them both for the next weeks, but if I had to choose only one, it would definitely be the VIP.

Rockerducks

Post by Rockerducks » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:30 pm

I posted 2 yrs ago of my first impressions with the VIP2. I now own a second VIP2. For the cost and sound, this amp is great. I mainly use it clean and use a pedalboard. I've done many gigs and would not hesitate to recommend the VIP2 to others. I own a Fender Twin, Deluxe Reverb, and Princeton reverb. The 25lbs. VIP2 goes to the gigs with me.

bluestate

Post by bluestate » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:45 am

I'm fascinated by this comment because this basically goes against everything I've been reading for the past few months... that is, don't use a pedal board with a digital modeling amp! I'm curious to know what type of pedals you use on your pedalboard and more specifically how your dirt pedals interact wit the VIP2.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:11 pm

bluestate wrote:I'm fascinated by this comment because this basically goes against everything I've been reading for the past few months... that is, don't use a pedal board with a digital modeling amp! I'm curious to know what type of pedals you use on your pedalboard and more specifically how your dirt pedals interact wit the VIP2.
The stumps you use inline (pedal board) should work the same as the build in stumps. The build in Effects are between the preamp and power amp and the only way inline effects (also called rack effects) can work the same is though an effects loop which only the Pro has. You can use any pedal you want to inline if you are satisfied with or like the output. The only pedals I ever use inline are a 7 band eg., a harmonist and looper. ( not satisfied with the 30 second built in looper.)
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Thirdandone

Post by Thirdandone » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Is this still a good place to talk about these amps? Just picked the VIP3. Great amp but a bit quirky. I've read here about the noise when using the high gain amp models and wondering if there's a fix or if a noise gate pedal would help. Kinda got this amp partly to avoid using pedals but I'm guessing it's one of the amps quirks.
Vypyr VIP 3
EPI Les Paul Custom Pro