Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
IMTHEPUNISHER

Re: Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

Post by IMTHEPUNISHER » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:43 am

Wolf 6 wrote:Has anybody found a good Jimi Hendrix tone yet.
I like the Fender Twin with the Fuzz, baby! 8) (although I'm pretty sure that Jimi actually used Marshall and/or Vox etc. amps)
Last edited by IMTHEPUNISHER on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul LP-100 (with many mods), B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock, Guitarras Yamato 1968 Model 30 nylon string acoustic

Amps: Crate G10XL - Peavey Vypyr 30

Effects & Controllers: Sanpera II - Zoom 505 - Dunlop Crybaby

jacob

Post by jacob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:45 pm

hey everybody, new to the forums and to this amp, and guitar amps in general.

i was wondering if someone could help me get a clean, softer, "prettier" tone out of the guitar. sort of like this band:
http://www.myspace.com/empireempireiwasalonelyestate

thanks!

Terbo

Post by Terbo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:41 pm

jacob wrote:hey everybody, new to the forums and to this amp, and guitar amps in general.

i was wondering if someone could help me get a clean, softer, "prettier" tone out of the guitar. sort of like this band:
http://www.myspace.com/empireempireiwasalonelyestate

thanks!

Fiddle around with a Plexi or Brit with a little Reverb for sparkle. It sounds like some of their tunes might use some delay too...
-Brett

\m/ Main Gear \m/
Ibanez RG321MH #2 w/DiMarzios
Peavey Vypyr 30 - Fangless

JerDix

Post by JerDix » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 am

mrbeam123 wrote:Hello,
i bought (by) a VYPYR 30. Nice thing :D
Iam a beginner and, does anyone know the Setting´s for a Luther Perkins sound ?
Like his Picking at Folsom or Five Feet High and Rising ?

Thanks and have a nice Week
Norbert
Try the "Twin" green and stompbox "xBoost" for a good "twang"-sound
VYPYR 30 - Sanpera-I - Fender Strat 1977 - Epiphone SG - Pignose :-)

mrbeam123

Post by mrbeam123 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:06 pm

I copyed this :

Here's one everyone else seems to like a lot when I use it. Great for Stray Cats, Johnny Cash, etc.... Surf too, I'm thinking.

Brit Green
Stompboxes -bypass
Effects - Slap Echo on
Pre - 6 dim, 7 lit, nearly all the way up.
Low - 5 lit, 6 dim
mid - 4 lit, straight up
high - 3 lit, 4 dim
Post - 5 lit, 6 dim
delay off,
Reverb 4 lit, straight up

Try that on your Gretsch or Tele. Control the amount of "bite" with your tone knob on your guitar. Never used mine before till I got a Vypyr, but it is key to getting some of these models to sound right and not mid heavy I have found, especially red amps. I use This setting with everything from Fenders to Les Pauls, but P-90's sound killer.
Dalrymple

dave4378

Post by dave4378 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 am

These are my settings, it's the closet i could get for a thinner more trebley 80s metal tone & a Dokken-esque rythm tone (Back For The Attack era) & overall it sounds okay for early thrash too. But like i said in another thread, not enough or as much crunch as i'd like on the palm mutes & if i give it more pre gain it'll sound like sh!t. Took me a month of tweeking & fiddling to get this setting & i'm still not really totally happy with it, but then i'm extremely fussy.
(NOTE: 0nly 7 LEDs per knob, not 10, i'm counting the first LED on each knob as 0 not 1 so each setting is out of 6 (eg. 2/6). When 2 LEDs are lit up at the same time on any knob i count that as a half because it's obviously in between)

STOMPBOX: TubeScrm
AMP:Rec

STOMPBOX SETTINGS
---------------------
PRE GAIN/PARAMETER 1: 0.5/6
LOW/PARAMETER 2: 6/6
MID: not relevant since it controls the feedback of the delay & i have delay turned all the way down
HIGH/DELAY: 0/6
POST GAIN/REVERB: 1.5/6

AMP SETTINGS
---------------
(Amp is in green mode)
PRE GAIN: 1/6
LOW: 1/6
MID: 1.5/6
HIGH: 5/6
POST GAIN: mine is set to 1.5/6, but as far as i can tell it seems do nothing but change the volume.

IMTHEPUNISHER

Post by IMTHEPUNISHER » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:02 am

mrbeam123 wrote:Try that on your Gretsch or Tele. Control the amount of "bite" with your tone knob on your guitar. Never used mine before till I got a Vypyr, but it is key to getting some of these models to sound right and not mid heavy I have found, especially red amps.

I agree completely. I was/am having issues with some wicked howling feedback, and I've just been thinking it's soley the amp's fault, until I realized that -HEY!- I DO have a DiMarzio "Super Distortion" in my bridge, which is specifically made to overdrive "regular" amps. So I've had to actually roll my guitar's volume back from the usual "10" setting to clean things up.....which also made me realize that my volume pot is in desperate need of replacement :?

I've just never really had to fiddle much with my guitar's knobs, as all I play-on are solid state amps. I guess the "TransTube"-technology is legit.

However, I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about the feedback-situation too though, so I'm wondering if some of it isn't the amp....
Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul LP-100 (with many mods), B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock, Guitarras Yamato 1968 Model 30 nylon string acoustic

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:24 am

For my rhythm playing I always back the volume knob on the guitar down to the 6-7 area and crank it to ten for my solos. I find that my tone is way more punchy when backing the volume down and has more presence to it. I use Seymour Duncan JB's in all of my guitars.

D-String

Post by D-String » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:16 pm

geronimo_ds wrote:It's done !!
I translate somme of the settings registred here !
:mrgreen:
==> http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/
Hey, buddy, this is SWEET! I'm going to load up my tones over the next few days. Nice work!
Last edited by D-String on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IMTHEPUNISHER

Post by IMTHEPUNISHER » Fri May 01, 2009 4:34 pm

Even though I generally play "metal'ish-type-stuff", I am REEEEEALLY digging on the Peavey Classic 50 Lead amp model! It's more-or-less based on one of the factory presets that was in my Sanpera II, but I tinkered with a couple of things. Settings are as follows:

Generally "Red" (but it also sounds damn nice on the "Green" setting)

Stompboxes: Tubescreamer or the "Squeeze"-compressor, depending what you're trying for.

Rack effects: Bypassed

Pre-Gain: Balls-to the-wall :wink:

Low: "12 O'Clock"

Mid: About 3/4 or the "7th" LED

High: "6" and/or "7" 'ish LED

Post-Gain: about "7"

Reverb: Balls-to the-wall

Delay: "Feedback" @ about "3" and the level maxed.

Throw a lil' Wah (if you've got a Sanpera or whatever, like I do) on this setting and you can get some serious "chuck-a-chuck-a-chuck"-type sounds, some nice leads, and even some good rhythms. It's lovely!

I've played a "real" either Peavey Classic 30 or 50 in a local music store, and found it to be pretty killer, and now with the ability to put a lil' more "dookie" on it, as it were, the sky's the limit.....and it didn't cost me $2,500!

Sparky664

Post by Sparky664 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:10 pm

This is a great forum! I've had my V-75 and S-1 since March and I love it. I joined last night (4-3) and have already adjusted my clean settings for some I found here. Thanks people!
Here's what I'm looking for now:

I play Gospel/Contemporary Christian music and I use a Stratocaster with stock single coil pickups and a Les Paul Standard with older Dimarzio Super II pickups. I'm looking for an overdrive tone thats kinda like Brian May used to use. Real smooth and sweet with a lot of sustain. Anybody got any settings?
Peavey:
Vypyr 75
1986 Combo 300
1986 Dyna Bass
200H Mixer amp
Other:
1976 LP Standard
200? Mexican Strat
Yari Custom Jumbo Acoustic
C.F. Martin Electric Bass

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue May 05, 2009 10:35 am

I guess you need to use the AC30 red channel (Brit model) to get the Brian May vibe, play with the echo and give it a lot of mid on the eq.

KPROKOP1

Post by KPROKOP1 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:27 am

does anyboby have any suggestions on settings to get a tone close to the Peavey Penta like Lynyrd Skynyrd uses i am trying to get the same tone as Gary Rossinton's solo in Don't Ask Me No Questions??? Thanks.....KP

fizyx_roolz

Post by fizyx_roolz » Sun May 10, 2009 4:31 am

After much research, much of it spent here at the Grille, I just bought my Vypyr 30 this afternoon!! :D

Despite the problems others have had, I just couldn't find another amp at this price that offered what the Vypyr has. IMHO the Line 6 Spider III's really did sound 'thin' and hollow, whereas the Vypyr's tones are just what I was looking for in a modeling amp.

I checked the firmware version and it's 1.55. Also, it appeared to me that the box had been opened before and re-taped, which makes me think (I hope) that Peavey updated the firmware at the factory before they shipped it out. According to the salesman at GC, they just received the new shipment of Vypyrs yesterday, so we'll see. I'm just hoping that I don't experience some of the same problems others have.

I'm hoping someone can post some settings for Led Zeppelin's "The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair" from the BBC Sessions, as well as any SRV, like "Pride and Joy", etc. Thanks in advance for any ideas. This is a great forum!!!

Great work on the website geronimo_ds!! EXTREMELY helpful and easy to use! Much appreciated. :D
2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Desert Burst
Seagull S6 20th Anniversaire Acoustic - Spruce Top
Peavey Vypyr 30

ChuckyB

Post by ChuckyB » Mon May 18, 2009 12:43 pm

I'd just like to send out a big "Thank You!" to all who have posted Vypyr setting for the rest of us to use. Especially to: firemansim, Big Al and geronimo_ds who have gone "above and beyond" to make life easier for Vypyr owners. Most appreciated.