Sanpera Expression Pedals Don't Function

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
tdauphin1949

Sanpera Expression Pedals Don't Function

Post by tdauphin1949 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Finally got to hooking up the Sanpera Pro and Vypyr Pro amp today. Everything works perfectly except for both expression pedals. They both click to execute the green and red lights (Default/Assigned) with no problems; however, neither one will function as shown in the videos. No volume or wah control at all & no assignment control such as pre-gain or post-gain when set in the menu. Cable checks out good and all other functions on the pedal work flawlessly. Is there some switch or setting in the software menus that I'm missing that turn the pedals on or off? Can't seem to find anybody else having this problem... Thanks in advance for any help on this. Hate to have to take it in for warranty service if it's just a setting or switch issue.

ptown999

Re: Sanpera Expression Pedals Don't Function

Post by ptown999 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm having a similar issue. Volume and assignments work good, but default wah won't come on. When set to default the wah pedal doesn't have neither the green nor red light come on.

sambot

Post by sambot » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:03 am

Yes! Me too! Just got a Sanpera Pro and Vypyr Pro 100, everything works great, but no expression pedals. I did a factory reset on the Vypyr. WTF?

I know this is an old thread, but any resolution on this one? Help!

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:37 pm

Do the expression pedals need to be calibrated? They did on the Vypyrs and VIPs. The procedure was in the manual.

Edit: I see you mentioning calibration in your other Topic. Someone who owns them should speak up sooner or later.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

sambot

Post by sambot » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Weirdly, there's nothing in the Sanpera Pro manual about calibration. So, yeah, maybe the Sanpera Pro doesn't need calibration? You're right though, you can calibrate the Sanpera I and II pedals (and that info is in their respective manuals).

I'm stumped. I reinstalled the most current firmware (1.37) on the Vypyr Pro 100, thinking that might do something with how the Sanpera Pro is reading the info from the pedals, but nope. Nothing changed.

Anyway, I started another thread about this... specifically asking about the calibration. Here's what I wrote:
Both pedals activate and deactivate normally with a hard press, but nothing seems to happen when I work the pedals back and forth. For the Wah (right side), it's clear that when active it's in the full wah position, but as mentioned, nothing changes when I move the pedal. The Volume (left side) doesn't seem to change anything when active... which leads me to think that it is also fixed in the full volume position.
You can swap the left with the right on the Vypyr Pro. When you do that, same problems with both pedals just on the opposite side now. I guess that's why I was hoping it was a calibration or a software thing. It's just so weird that BOTH pedals are out.

Anyway, I guess my next step is to open this thing up and see if there's anything obviously wrong... you know, like a smoking crater or something.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:15 pm

I did find the manual on a system I do not often use.

Review the VYPYR Main Edit section on page 10 of the manual. I would have expected the Factory Reset to have put the pedals in a default configuration. But it does say the Parameter Default is set to nothing. You may have to change these to volume and wah. Then there are the Up Value and Down Value which need to be set. I think the Up/Down Value likely covers what "calibration" did on the Vypyrs and VIPs. It looks quite versatile.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

sambot

Post by sambot » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 am

I tried. But to no avail.

I think the pedals are set correctly. As mentioned, when I turn the wah (right side) on, the sound from the amp indicates that it's in full toe-down wah mode (you know, that thin wide open wah sound). But when I pull the pedal toe-up nothing changes. It's like the pedals know what they're supposed to do, but they're both locked in the full toe-down sound.

I opened up the casing yesterday. No smoking craters. That's the extent of my diagnostic abilities.

I wrote to Peavey last week. No response... which isn't really surprising.

Any other suggestions?

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:05 pm

Not owning a Pro, I am out of specific ideas.

Since the pandemic, Peavey has had some challenges replying to emails. They have also been difficult to reach when you call.

You might try searching, or looking through recent posts, in this subforum for some Pro owner who has posted. Then PM, or email if possible, them and ask if they have a suggestion.
James Paul's Peaveys