Vypyr Edit software?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
davidKOS

Re: Vypyr Edit software?

Post by davidKOS » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 am

I'm hoping that Peavey is just late with the Mac support, and will indeed follow through.

Do you hear me, Hartley?

BLOURBON

Post by BLOURBON » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:24 pm

So are we saying that the Vyper Edit software works well? No major issues?
I want to load, edit and store patches. I will get a VIP3 if the software works. I have a Sanpera II. I use PC. I am still bitter that my tube 60 Vyper software never worked. I will not go down that road again.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:22 am

It seems to work ok . It is just a very limited editor, since you have the big pedal, you should be fine at storing and editing presets. I think the vip 2 will only access the 16 presets of internal storage while the vip3 allows the max of 400 to be selected live, They both(at least the vip2 which i have) seem fine to (without hassle), load the preset into the software, allow edits( this is where the software is very weak compared to Fender's Fuse and the older line 6 pod xt edit programs) then store your preset in the amp and in a file on the computer. No provisions for library functions except what you want to come up with.

I use a mac and have not had any problems, using the program. I used bootcamp to load the the firmware upgrade, again there where no problems. Can not say however that the pc version performs as well, I would assume it will

keary

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:35 am

keary1213 wrote:It seems to work ok . It is just a very limited editor, since you have the big pedal, you should be fine at storing and editing presets. I think the vip 2 will only access the 16 presets of internal storage while the vip3 allows the max of 400 to be selected live, They both(at least the vip2 which i have) seem fine to (without hassle), load the preset into the software, allow edits( this is where the software is very weak compared to Fender's Fuse and the older line 6 pod xt edit programs) then store your preset in the amp and in a file on the computer. No provisions for library functions except what you want to come up with.

I use a mac and have not had any problems, using the program. I used bootcamp to load the the firmware upgrade, again there where no problems. Can not say however that the pc version performs as well, I would assume it will

keary
You can access all banks from A - 99 on the vip2 (that's over 400 presets) using the vypyr edit software. use save bank to select the bank you want then use load bank to amp. This will replace one of the banks (A,B,C,or D), but can always put that bank back the same way.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

BLOURBON

Post by BLOURBON » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks for the feedback (not a good term to use when talking about amps :D ). My Tube 60 is the best concept out there, it sounds great. Unfortunately the execution in production and development is poor. Looks like the VIP software is still developmentally challenged.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Thank you for finally giving an explanation on how to access the built in presets without the high end pedal. Just have to come up with a good system of keeping track and naming the presets and banks, colored lights don't help me much Something like 1 bank for clean and crunchy strat, then 1 for lp tones, then 1 for acoustic and bass tones, then with the vip II only having room for4 banks, keep the bank d open for,, for edits.

anyway knowing you have to save the banks then can later edit is not covered in the manual that I could find. I had tried that, but did something wrong

Thanks again,, now I can start setting up a tone library!

keay

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 am

Hi,
finally found time to get into the edit program and just use what they provided, not try and make any work arounds or anything, just use it. BUTT! Maybe I am missing something.
Previous posting told me how to access the other presets on a VIP 2 without any pedals( software save bank, list comes up-save the bank of choice- reload bank back into amp, and of course the vip2 only has the 4 banks of 4 preset for on board storage, not using any pedals.
So I loaded some presets I found into the software. Some where pretty good, others I tweaked. Then I saved them to the compute changing the name. Then I reloaded the saved preset.
The software loaded my new preset, but, the name was the same as the original preedited preset- I did see my edits where there(things like adding distortion stomp or the amp tweaks, and the sound was much lower in volume-
Looking in the folder on the computer I could see the new file I made, with the correct name- but after loading it-The name was, as I said , the original file name .
I tried closing and restarting the edit program with the same results. Could not find anyway for the edit program to allow me to rename my file..for display purpose in the edit program
I have tried this on both the mac 10.8 and pc running windows 7.
Anyone else have any problems with an edited preset loading with the original name and much lower volume?
The goal is to demo the presets I can get( internal and from forum submissions, then load them into the banks, then saving the ones I like into a new bank and then storing as one of the 4 banks into the amp,
Thanks

Keary

istlota

Post by istlota » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:14 am

My thoughts on that and other things ...

1) Yes, it is annoying that Peavey does not provide a user's guide for VYPYR Edit. Even worse, the app itself has no Help menu which all competent Mac programmers include in the apps they write.

2) Intermittently, I experience the following anomaly. I will use VYPYR Edit to save a preset to a bank/preset [say, Bank A/Red for instance] on my VIP 2. Then I use the VIP's front panel to manually change to a different Bank/Preset. Afterwards, VYPYR Edit no longer communicates with the VIP. To fix this anomaly, I shut down VYPYR EDIT, then boot up and shutdown some other MIDI app [in my case, I use an open source app called MIDI Monitor. MIDI Monitor works fine, even capturing MIDI traffic from the VIP when I manually change its front panel controls. Afterwards, I can then boot up VYPYR Edit and it works okay. I suspect this is due to two coding problems with VYPYR Edit. 1) I suspect it gets confused if changes occur to the VIP that it did not initiate. And, 2) I suspect it does not properly initialize the Mac OS X CoreMidi framework.

3) Regarding names and volume changes not being saved to presets downloaded to the VIP, I have not experienced this. Your problem may be due to you following a different sequence of steps than the ones Peavey's incompetent Mac programmer coded but didn't bother to document for users.

SOME INSIGHTS ON PEAVEY PRESET FILES
-----------------------------------
I have spent some time studying Peavey's preset files. A preset file is a text file containing a list of what I call blocks. Each block, in turn, consists of a list of parameters. Each parameter, in turn, consists of what programmers call a Key-Value pair where the Key begins with a '#' and the value is separated from the Key by a ':'.

Armed with this knowledge, those who are not faint of heart can open a preset file with any text editor and ascertain for themselves what VYPYR Edit did or did not save to a particular preset file. My experience has been that if a parameter is in the preset file, VYPYR Edit sets it accordingly when it writes that preset file to the amp.

Predictably, Peavey has not documented the format of the proprietary SysEx command used to write a preset file to the amp. So i have not, yet, figured out the correlation between bytes in that undocumented SysEx command and the Key-Value pairs in the preset file.
Attachments
preset_format.png
preset_format.png (64.38 KiB) Viewed 8836 times

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Here are some things learned from trial and error. You only have to save each bank once to get the files in your computer. After that you can load them to your Amp anytime you want. A mistake I made more then once, when you make changes to a bank or make up your own banks do not use bank names (A thru 99). I name my banks something like veryclean or rockone. To get things back to working order I had go to the bank and preset files in my computer (not the vypyr edit software) and delete everything I done before. Now things are working the way they are meant to for me.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:12 pm

that's a good idea about the naming. I have run into that before with other software They reserve the names and a user is not allowed to use them.That might speak towards being able to save an amp edited preset on top of the original, which is the first I have come across in this situation.( as opposed to how most editors require you to save to a new location.( even revalver will not allow a change to a supplied preset, must make a new user bank.)

keary

istlota

Post by istlota » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:31 pm

wmjones wrote:Here are some things learned from trial and error. You only have to save each bank once to get the files in your computer. After that you can load them to your Amp anytime you want. A mistake I made more then once, when you make changes to a bank or make up your own banks do not use bank names (A thru 99). I name my banks something like veryclean or rockone. To get things back to working order I had go to the bank and preset files in my computer (not the vypyr edit software) and delete everything I done before. Now things are working the way they are meant to for me.
What we have been describing in the last few messages are the inevitable consequences of software which gets released without a user guide or a help menu. Ergo, users end up having to figure out by trial and error what works and what doesn't. At one time in my career, I worked in a software test group which spent a significant portion of its time searching for these sort of problems in-house so that users do not have to be inconvenienced later in the field.

I can not imagine what is going in Meridian. Past history suggests Hartley knows better. I am guessing that someone other than he has the final say on software matters. That would explain why the VIP hardware is so phenomenal yet the software is so monumentally sophomoric.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Well folks, I am giving up on the software for the vip. been using the pc for a while, may try somemore on the mac(main computer) but I can't get (on the pc) the presets I make, then store with my own names, load with my names(always the orig. preset I tweaked) can't really tell which light is which preset number,(seems to change when I open or load a preset). I can get the tone I made to load, but sometimes I get something completely different( load a bank I saved with new name, nothing but clean/chorus presets- tell it to put in bank a, moment of silence then hit preset and look at the edit softwear screen, be something completely different and very low in volume-load saved presets into that bank, save it, load back to amp in different bank, may get it or not.
So until I can get some kind of handle on how this program works, by manual or other means, I am thru wasting time trying to figure how to load a specfic set of sounds reliably with names I recongnize !
I can tweak and save on the amp, but the edit software will not let me rename it, so I have 4 or 5 different sounds that have the names I gave them in the computer, and can sometimes get to load where I want it(bank abcd, but not always in the preset location(again what lites are what number) but in the edit software they will all have the same name, The banks are worse as I said, make a bank out of fresh teaked presets, save bank with new name, and I should be able to load that bank into one of the 4 and then see the names of the presets I u sed to make that bank. Nope!
So that's it, I yet may still get rid of the amp despite all the cool hardware it represents, or just spin dials The aggrevation is the loss of being able to really get into my recording because I end up focusing on getting the sound that I liked that with the Logic sounds or my podxt, I hit a footswitch and there is my tone (id by the name I gave) and I can continue to focus on the music.
I guess it was truly to much for me to wish for , the really cool sounds and hardware and some basic software to use it at the price they are selling for.( I would gladly pay a little extra for reasonable functional software.
Tried somethings you all have written about with low success, but I will keep watching to see if someone with more patient than I( spend 3 months trying to figure this out) comes up with hard definitive steps for saving, and reloading presets and banks with names and reliability.
I will say, that tweaking with the edit software does work really well for me. I spin the virtual knobs in the program and the amp follows great, lites matching up ect. save on the amp and I have the preset. and it will stay, just not able to make any library.
Final work around (for a while anyway) create 16 presets I like on the amp saving them, and leave it
( by the way, does anyones vip 2 have a particular affinity for the preset of the whale songs? one of the favorite "mystery" presets that get loaded instead of what I requested! ha

keary

istlota

Post by istlota » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:01 am

I wouldn't get rid of the amp. Hold onto it for a bit longer.

Obviously, I agree with you that VYPYR Edit sucks. But sooner or later some better programmer than whoever Peavey hired is bound to come up with a viable alternative to VYPYR Edit -- something that finally allows users to take full advantage of the unrivaled programability of the VIP.

rockmanmd

Post by rockmanmd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:34 am

This is why I am waiting on the software to get the issues worked out and hopefully better support from Peavey. I love peavey amps and have owned and played them for a long time. The make great amps from the old school tube amps to now the newer Vypyrs. Not sure what Peavey is thinking with putting out such a great modelling amp with a subpar software interface. I looked at the Mustang and to me the amp could not compare to the sound quality of the Vypyrs but the software is a lot better. Another thing that bugs me about Peavey and the Vypyrs is not able to get the midi command chart. I understand to a point why because they want you to buy the Sanpera pedal to control the amp but I can't stand the Sanpera and have a midi pedal that could do the same as theirs but is much easier to use. Hartley really needs to think about this and make some changes because he probably is losing some customers.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:10 pm

Yeah, I will most likely hold on to the amp. It just has so many physical features( wt, tones, ect) and for what I gave for it, I really couldn't touch it with anything else and I haven't yet really figured on it's most legitimate use in my enviroment, like garage jaming, living room recording, full studio add on, ect. I just really hate it that the software is so crappy. and it's funny in a way because I think their revolver program( which of course they bought) is one of the best software sims around.( of course that may all change with them working on the version 4.)
I started bitching about the midi control data from the get go, same reasons, I really hate the sampera foot controller, and hate even more than it costs more than the retail on the amp. Plus I have a pretty good midi controller in the behringer fcb1010. Just need more info than I can figure out,, to program it

keary