Vypyr Edit software?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
d.man1

Re: Vypyr Edit software?

Post by d.man1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Can anyone tell me where to get the 1.60 version of Vypyr edit software for Mac, evrything that's on the Peavey website is either out of date or for Pc . Thanks.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:52 pm

http://www.peavey.com/products/vypyrvip ... fm#vypedit

this is 1.0 of the EDIT software and I believe the FIRMWARE has to be 1.62 and that I think can only be done on a pc using the updater 3.01( mine was 1.49 when I bought it 2 weeks ago and I had to use my pc to update TO 1.62 (2 files to download, both pc ) because there was not a Mac firmware updater. then I could use the edit software.

Go figure why peavey would finally issue the mac edit program and no way to update the firmware withouta different computer plateform.

istlota

Post by istlota » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:54 am

The intriguing thing about what keary is saying is that, if you check out Peavey's PC firmware file, you will find out that the firmware file has a SYX extension. This suggests that firmware is downloaded into the VIP via MIDI SysEx. And, note, non-Peavey software already exists to download SysEx files which works with a Mac. I have used an open source app called SysLibrarian for years to download SysEx files to Line 6, Behringer, and Novation MIDI devices from my Mac.

I posted a question on this forum several days ago requesting an answer from Peavey as to whether we Mac users can use some non-Peavey SysEx library app to upgrade our VIP. But, as is usually the case when it comes to the concerns of Mac users, Peavey ignored my request.

d.man1

Post by d.man1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks for that. I do have the Sysex software I'll give it a try. Peavey is lucky the amp sounds great, or I would be returning it, I just bought it last friday. I usually don't deal with software developers that ignore Mac users.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm

I would do the same thing. Since this is the first true guitar(ect) amp I have had since I sold my blackface 100 watt fender(with JBL's-talk about loud,clean and heavy!!) many,many years ago (another bonehead move by me.)

( anyone get depressed when you stop and think about the number of now hightly sought after and desirable pieces of gear you have had, and now don't!! ),(How I and why I no longer have some of that gear is not something I care to think about,ha)What's even worse is when you find out your favorite stuff is being reissued!)

If it did not sound as good and do as many things as I wanted, I'd go with something else- probably one of the Fenders.
But this amp sounds great, and has the stuff I was wanting. With what should be very little trouble to peavey they could easily make this amp even better, just by improving the software editing and remote patch switching.

istlota

Post by istlota » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:46 pm

I agree that the VIP is a _great_ amp. Obviously, I think so since I have bought two of them so far.

But, unlike others here, I am not allowing my high opinion of the hardware to justify giving Peavey a pass on their mediocre software.

For several years, I worked as an in-house alpha tester for a company that sold network management hardware and software. I know, from personal experience, that a company's decisions as to in what to invest their limited engineering dollars is heavily influenced by how loud and often their customers scream and what they scream about. Customers are always the final beta testers of released software. It is our job, our responsibility, to let Peavey know when their product, and/or the support they provide for their product, is substandard.

Otherwise, we are no better than the majority of Americans who are allowing Obama to think, by their silence, that the mediocrity of ObamaCare is acceptable.

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:36 am

I'm not going to let peavey off either regarding their software. They have the programmers available to do the software right. Take some people off of Revalver 4.0 and let them finish the vypyer vip software. They went out of house when they bought the basis of Revalver as I understand it, and now are in the process of totally revamping the program, so maybe the Revalver contingent yells louder, but I don't believe that sales of Revalver would out do this product line of amps. Of course software like Revalver marks the company as an innovative and leader in technology in the field, something that peavey apparently wants more than pleasing their bread and butter customers, amps and guitar buyers.

(I have Revalver and do think it is an outstanding piece of software for the DAW recording musicians, With the right tweaking, It can be simply awsome in the right project, It's problem is the sheer potential complexity that often lures someone like me, into building virtual amps to the point I forget about practicing what I got the program for to begin with!)

Least we forget, in terms of capability, the pc version of Edit is no better.
Come on Peavey, finish what you started and complete the vypyr package with some decent software!

keary

istlota

Post by istlota » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:36 am

d.man1 wrote:Thanks for that. I do have the Sysex software I'll give it a try. Peavey is lucky the amp sounds great, or I would be returning it, I just bought it last friday. I usually don't deal with software developers that ignore Mac users.
Did you try updating the VIP firmware with a non-Peavey SysEx app? I have not gotten up enough courage to risk it.

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:54 am

I think you still need to run the updater program, which is only an .exe file at this time.

istlota

Post by istlota » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 am

davidKOS wrote:I think you still need to run the updater program, which is only an .exe file at this time.
You are correct that Peavey's Updater is an EXE file. But that says nothing in and of itself because there are several EXE apps out there which can download SYX files to MIDI devices and, again, Peavey's firmware file is a SYX file.

The industry refers to these sort of SysEx file downloads as SysEx bulk dumps. By way of an example of what I am talking about, several members of this forum use FCB1010s to control their VIP and they use MIDIOX [an EXE file] to dump SYX files to the FCB1010.

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:18 am

I mean for Mac users that we can run a SysEx file transfer to the VIP, which I did on my iMac - but that's not enough to make the whole thing work.

However unless I set up Boot Camp and download and run Windows on my Mac, I can't run that last .exe file to complete the set-up of VIP-2, firmware, and editing software.

I may do that or use a friend's PC to load the update.

istlota

Post by istlota » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:12 am

davidKOS wrote:I mean for Mac users that we can run a SysEx file transfer to the VIP, which I did on my iMac - but that's not enough to make the whole thing work.

However unless I set up Boot Camp and download and run Windows on my Mac, I can't run that last .exe file to complete the set-up of VIP-2, firmware, and editing software.

I may do that or use a friend's PC to load the update.
It is unrealistic for Peavey to expect Mac users to jump thru such hoops to be able to use the Mac version of VYPYR Edit. Going the Bootcamp route can easily cost you $100 or more for a copy of Windows.

This is like a slap in our collective faces. First, Peavey drug their feet for the better part of a year before releasing a Mac version of VYPYR Edit. But, even then, it is of no use until you , first, update your VIP's firmware. But you cannot update the VIP's firmware with a Mac because Peavey has not released a Mac version of Updater.

It is monumentally unacceptable for Peavey to ignore the needs of Mac users in ways such as this and I have made it one of my life goals to keep beating them up about this until it changes.

I'm not going to be IGNORED ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzbVn9Xx3YM

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:01 pm

I too just can not understand peavey's treatment of mac users. You have a piece of hardware that requires software to perform properly, and make huge waves of publicity promoting it, then absolutely ignore what could be a large group of potential customers who happen to have a different brand of computer.
It's difficult to actually put into words . Really!

How can a company with the clout and resources of peavey, come up with such piss-poor software program that requires major upgrades to firmware just to be able to use the software that was promised with the amps promotions,( and only barely functions at the level of their competitors, ie Fenders Fusion) then fail to provide the means to perform the upgrade . (picture school=yard bully shouting,"here's your damm software, you figure out how to make it work, now go away!". "You trusted me enough to buy the hardware on promises, but quess what, I don't care" . Well to Peavey all I can say is that for years I considered your products as 2nd rate, good only for making noise, and avoided them completely . Now you have what I thought was a product worthy of my time and money to invest in , trust in your promises of delivery of the software, then you pull this kind of bull-crap.
I can tell you right now Mr. Peavey, this will be the last product of your company that I will ever purchase and one home recording musician may not mean squat to a company the size of yours, but I guarran-damn-t it , that I will let it be known just how little you all think of your customers.

keary

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:49 pm

I assume Peavey Inc. runs on PC's, not Macs.

Why can't they ship the VIP with the firmware in place?

keary1213

Post by keary1213 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:12 pm

I would assume that the lead time from plant to dealer was the key. You have dealers who where probably told months ago ( lied to also) the amp was coming, they start yelling where is it- we need it to make money yadayadayada! ect. Software not ready- ahha? we have the hardware ready, so we will ship that, tell our people the "check's in the mail" about the software, and then let the customer bring it up to date. EVery body's happy! (reminds me of Robocopl when the CEO says who cares if their new police robot has got buggy software, just that much more money they will make selling spare parts! ha)

Now the poor customer has a nice piece of hardware but is being told to wait for the software to catch up so he can actually use what he was promised,( unless you are a mac person, and then it appears peavey lied by omission regarding being able to fully use the amps capabilities.)

You know I would not mind all of this so much, if peavey would just show a little customer appreciation and let their customers see that the company is indeed sorry for the inconvenience.
They could take the low road and offer discounts on the pedals, or maybe do the right thing and bring out a software edit program that really allowed the hardware to show its flexibility or make the midi codes available, But peavey has chosen to slap the mac users in the face and demonstrate to the rest of their customer base for this product that they really don't care . KInd of interesting that the movie store , Blockbuster, is stopping some service and to apologize to their customers they gave everyone 2 free pay per view film vouchers( thru Dish or something like that), now why can't peavey at least try and show the same kind of concern for their customers?

If all of this rhetoric turns out to be simply communication issues, that peavey does really plan to make amends they just can't tell us because of some policy about telling people those kinds of plans,then I will sincerely apologize for my statements, but I haven't seen any public statements from peavey regarding the mac software issue, or midi code listings.

I am just a consumer/customer of a company that is marketing and promoting a product, convincing me to purchase it based on promises that have not been kept and I am a little pissed.

Sorry guys, it's been a "bad day at black rock" to reference an old movie, I'll get off the pulpit now. :)

keary