Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
patrock

Re: Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

Post by patrock » Sun May 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Hello,
Sorry for the late reaction, i didn't expect an answer that fast.
thanks a lot for the pdf! It is much more amazing and clear than i expected!
Unfortunally, i couldn't find scematics of my vox vt40+ amp.
I looked in the manual and on google (images and a bit on web)

Do you still think i (or someone from the music store or so) could do this mod? Or do you no idea without schematic.
i know the amp uses amp moddeling, built in effects, and a 12ax7 tube with a knob to change the power (in watt)

Thanks again

Patrick.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 pm

patrock wrote:Hello,

Do you still think i (or someone from the music store or so) could do this mod? Or do you no idea without schematic.
i know the amp uses amp moddeling, built in effects, and a 12ax7 tube with a knob to change the power (in watt)

Thanks again

Patrick.
Patrick, it is totally possible with a schematic. Without a schematic it would be a shot in the dark, but still possible. You could ask the company for a schematic for your model. They might be cool like peavey and give it to you. Its worth the risk either way.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

patrock

Post by patrock » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Great!
Awesome advice
thank you

Lactose

Post by Lactose » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Checking in after using the loop for several months. It really knocks these amps to a whole new level for the budget guitarist, especially the Tube 60. Being able to take take the preamped signal and change it is great.

Here are some effects that I have found work well:
Analog Delays - Stacked with the built in digital delay you can get sounds from subtle to robotic.
Stereo Digital Delay - Great for getting more control over digital delay of the preamped signal. Run to an extension cab or combine with another modded vypyr and get some depth with things like ping pong delay.
Reverbs- Same as the digital delay, get more control over a reverb than just the two parameters the vypyr gives. Or combine with the vypyr reverb for ambiet awesomeness. Plus with a sanpera you can do swells without having to buy a volume pedal.

I really want to try a looper with overdub in the effects loop.

Anyone else have any other effects experiences ?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:38 am

Lactose wrote:Checking in after using the loop for several months. It really knocks these amps to a whole new level for the budget guitarist, especially the Tube 60. Being able to take take the preamped signal and change it is great.

Here are some effects that I have found work well:
Analog Delays - Stacked with the built in digital delay you can get sounds from subtle to robotic.
Stereo Digital Delay - Great for getting more control over digital delay of the preamped signal. Run to an extension cab or combine with another modded vypyr and get some depth with things like ping pong delay.
Reverbs- Same as the digital delay, get more control over a reverb than just the two parameters the vypyr gives. Or combine with the vypyr reverb for ambiet awesomeness. Plus with a sanpera you can do swells without having to buy a volume pedal.

I really want to try a looper with overdub in the effects loop.

Anyone else have any other effects experiences ?
Diddo on the reverb, delays, stereo and swells with sanpera! Also, try running a clean boost behind signal...sound big and fuller than ever!
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

patrock

Post by patrock » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:15 am

j_fury68 wrote:
patrock wrote:Hello,

Thanks again

Patrick.
Patrick, it is totally possible with a schematic. Without a schematic it would be a shot in the dark, but still possible. You could ask the company for a schematic for your model. They might be cool like peavey and give it to you. Its worth the risk either way.
=============================================

Hello,

Sorry for another late reaction.
i was on vakation and mailing with vox also took some days.
they will not give me the schematics for my amp becouse i'm not a manifacturer of them. (Sorry if my spelling is bad)

Though, i really would love to have an fx loop in my vox vt40+ amp

can't i just put the fx loop right in front of the speaker?
or do i have to measure values there and put resistors or something between it?
Or do you have a better idea? Like you can tell, i'm not very experienced with this.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot!

Patrick

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:08 pm

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Hello,

Sorry for another late reaction.
i was on vakation and mailing with vox also took some days.
they will not give me the schematics for my amp becouse i'm not a manifacturer of them. (Sorry if my spelling is bad)

Though, i really would love to have an fx loop in my vox vt40+ amp

can't i just put the fx loop right in front of the speaker?
or do i have to measure values there and put resistors or something between it?
Or do you have a better idea? Like you can tell, i'm not very experienced with this.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot!

Patrick[/quote]

It would be easier to just get a Vypyr, but if you can get some pics of the inside this may help. To bad VOX doesn't like to share :?

W_Yingst

Post by W_Yingst » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm

j_fury, first of all thank you for pioneering this mod and sharing with all of us, most excellent of you. I own a Vypyr 15 watt, and after seeing your pdf guide, I dove right in, but immediately got a little weirded out as things weren't terribly similar to the pictures you provided. Is Resistor 82 still the one I'm after, even if it's in a different place? Also, with the whole shrouded/non-shrouded thing, I only have one board in the space where you have both the shrouded and un-shrouded boards. Would you mind explaining that concept in more detail? I'm really looking forward to getting this mod to work, but I need a little more information before the soldering gun comes out. Thanks in advance!

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:55 am

W_Yingst wrote:j_fury, first of all thank you for pioneering this mod and sharing with all of us, most excellent of you. I own a Vypyr 15 watt, and after seeing your pdf guide, I dove right in, but immediately got a little weirded out as things weren't terribly similar to the pictures you provided. Is Resistor 82 still the one I'm after, even if it's in a different place? Also, with the whole shrouded/non-shrouded thing, I only have one board in the space where you have both the shrouded and un-shrouded boards. Would you mind explaining that concept in more detail? I'm really looking forward to getting this mod to work, but I need a little more information before the soldering gun comes out. Thanks in advance!
Hi and thanks! I have vowed to update the PDF as the pic of the boards side by side has confused many. I just haven't had time. It's really simple. The pic was only to show that the first generation vypyrs came with one of two styles of board. Most that I have seen are what I have called un-shrouded, as they have no pcb covering over the sharc processor and the shrouded of course do. They are in effect the same board but laid out a little different. Yes you still need to remove r82 regardless of which board you have. Un-shrouded has it on the bottom and shrouded has it on top. I currently have a 15 modded this way and it is really fun! I also have a tube60 and it is epic with the effects loop! Currently modding another 30 possible to sell. Good luck and have fun!

W_Yingst

Post by W_Yingst » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:01 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the parts and the Boss RC-1 I'd wanted. Is the terminal part and board necessary or just for stability?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:28 am

W_Yingst wrote:Hey, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the parts and the Boss RC-1 I'd wanted. Is the terminal part and board necessary or just for stability?
Not needed. Just makes things easier to take apart for future mods or service. I have actually run out of them and been doing mods without. Not that big a deal. Also, you only need one mono switching jack for the send and the return jack can be non-switching. There are a few things you can leave out and be alright.
Last edited by j_fury68 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

W_Yingst

Post by W_Yingst » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:32 am

Great glad to hear it. It will still work with switching jacks though, right? Already ordered them :D

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:26 pm

W_Yingst wrote:Great glad to hear it. It will still work with switching jacks though, right? Already ordered them :D
Yup, no problems. That's exactly why I used two when I did the instruction, cause that's what I had on hand. Thought that discussing how you really only need one of them might cause more confusion than it was worth and would add more time to something I was trying to finish quickly and post for those that wanted it.

W_Yingst

Post by W_Yingst » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Great! Thanks so much for the help I'll let you know how it goes for sure.