Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
j_fury68

Re: Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:09 pm

dominus wrote:
junkerde wrote:that sucks, i have 2 8ohm speakers, now ill have to shell out more cash for the same speakers but 16ohm versions to run on 8. thats a good $300. But I think its safe to say I'll probably invest in a 6505 head and use those 2 in series then. It's not worth the money to use all that on the vypyr vip, although it does sound extremely tube like for a solid state.
Install the Effects loop.

Unplug the internal speaker, run a 1/4" from the Effects out to a power amp. Tube or solid state, although you might prefer the sound from a tube power amp.

Plug cabinet into the power amp.

I'm using my VIP-1 (the one in the pictures above) as a preamp myself. :D
Just curious, what are you playing it through?
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

junkerde

Post by junkerde » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:19 pm

j_fury68 wrote:
junkerde wrote:that sucks, i have 2 8ohm speakers, now ill have to shell out more cash for the same speakers but 16ohm versions to run on 8. thats a good $300. But I think its safe to say I'll probably invest in a 6505 head and use those 2 in series then. It's not worth the money to use all that on the vypyr vip, although it does sound extremely tube like for a solid state.
You could wire these speakers in series for 16 ohms :idea: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... tNi-ERlXpQ
You probably wouldn't want to go higher than 16ohms, but it would work. Which vypyr do you have?
VIP 2. Is it safe with solid states to run 2 speakers in 16ohms since the VIP2 is only an 8 ohm amplifier?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:27 pm

junkerde wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:
You could wire these speakers in series for 16 ohms :idea: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... tNi-ERlXpQ
You probably wouldn't want to go higher than 16ohms, but it would work. Which vypyr do you have?
VIP 2. Is it safe with solid states to run 2 speakers in 16ohms since the VIP2 is only an 8 ohm amplifier?
I think it would be wise to read up on this a little. I haven't done this myself so not ready to say absolutely yes on this one. From what I have read it seems like the answer is yes, but you will probably suffer a little volume loss for the extra load. This might be a good topic for another thread where traffic outside of the effects loop mod can see it and maybe someone out there has done this very thing.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

junkerde

Post by junkerde » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:50 pm

im going to rig-talk on this one since they respond incredibly quickly and have handled these types of things. thanks!

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 pm

junkerde wrote:im going to rig-talk on this one since they respond incredibly quickly and have handled these types of things. thanks!
Sweet. Let us know!

dominus

Post by dominus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27 pm

j_fury68 wrote:
dominus wrote:
I'm using my VIP-1 (the one in the pictures above) as a preamp myself. :D
Just curious, what are you playing it through?

Effects out into the computer, then I run a power amp plugin (Ignite's freeware TPA-1 is a good one, and Revalver comes with a bunch) and speaker cabinet IR.

junkerde wrote:i think buying a tube poweramp that pretty much cost more than buying new speakers, thanks for the info though.
I've seen used ones in the $100 price range. Lots of leftover rack stuff from the 90s is out there. :)

junkerde

Post by junkerde » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:14 am

j_fury68 wrote:
junkerde wrote:im going to rig-talk on this one since they respond incredibly quickly and have handled these types of things. thanks!
Sweet. Let us know!
They should be wired at 16ohms, at 4ohms the solid state amp will fry is the word. Tubes on the other hand handle things differently. Is there a chance I can make a speaker out mod from anything on this board?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:27 pm

junkerde wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:
Sweet. Let us know!
They should be wired at 16ohms, at 4ohms the solid state amp will fry is the word. Tubes on the other hand handle things differently. Is there a chance I can make a speaker out mod from anything on this board?
Yes. I did a search on this forum and indeed this is a topic that has been talked about and done. Not sure if any post include pics or not. I did find this rather quickly by searching the google. It seems to be a pretty easy, cut and dry mod. Very little surgery. Using the speaker wires connect them to a 1/4" female jack. make a cable with 1/4" male end and crimp on spade connecters on the other for using with the vypyrs own speaker. When you want to drive an external cab just use a guitar or speaker cable and you are done :mrgreen: http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthr ... ?tid=14377

junkerde

Post by junkerde » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:07 pm

thanks thwt was extremely helpful. im planning to just take out the head of the amp of the combo qnd drive a 2x12 that way. you are doing gods work!

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 pm

junkerde wrote:thanks thwt was extremely helpful. im planning to just take out the head of the amp of the combo qnd drive a 2x12 that way. you are doing gods work!
Thanks for the compliment, but God's works is really much harder. I mean people die doing that stuff! :o I like my vypyr, but I don't think I am willing to die for it. :lol:

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 am

So FYI, I had been experiencing some radio frequency coming through my amp. Very faint, almost airplane like up and down sine wave. One day it was loud enough to hear some voices coming through. It wasn't real loud and couldn't notice it while playing guitar. Just loud enough to be annoying when guitar was at rest. Anyway. I figured it had to do with the un-shielded effects loop components. I found some ferrite that came out of an old printer and made a one pass loop through it with the effect loop wires that connect to the board. For now, this seems to have totally cured the problem. I was very happy. Anyone doing this mod may want to consider doing the same to save a little potential heart ache down the road :mrgreen:

JoanDF

Post by JoanDF » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Hi, I felt really brave and try this mod, but couldnt make the modified tip for the iron pencil, so lets start from the pulled traced wire of the board ... after trying hardly to solve it decided (fortunately) to take it to a technician to get the wire to connect it to the potenciometers, the day I collect the board couldnt assemby there, so I'm proving again at home, but its acting just like I left it last week, it has signal, but its hard to hear even at max volume, after the technician I think the sound is just a little louder, but not enough to play over a song :( I've check the wiring change the potenciometers, looked after false contacts, again and again and again ... also have tried the aux input and it works fine with the volume, so I think its a matter on the pre amp section. Does anybody have any input, before I take it to the technician again? Please let me know

Thanks

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:03 am

JoanDF wrote:Hi, I felt really brave and try this mod, but couldnt make the modified tip for the iron pencil, so lets start from the pulled traced wire of the board ... after trying hardly to solve it decided (fortunately) to take it to a technician to get the wire to connect it to the potenciometers, the day I collect the board couldnt assemby there, so I'm proving again at home, but its acting just like I left it last week, it has signal, but its hard to hear even at max volume, after the technician I think the sound is just a little louder, but not enough to play over a song :( I've check the wiring change the potenciometers, looked after false contacts, again and again and again ... also have tried the aux input and it works fine with the volume, so I think its a matter on the pre amp section. Does anybody have any input, before I take it to the technician again? Please let me know

Thanks
Sorry to hear of your struggles here. Without seeing what you actually have it may be hard to diagnose over written communication. One thing this is reminding me of is a similar problem I had with volume when I reconnect the dsp board and powered back up with a sanpera pedal also attached to the amp. Like you were saying volume was incredibly low no matter what I did with the volume knob. As I recall it took several tries of disconnecting power and unplugging the sanpera, but finally it came back to normal. Hope this is helpful. If you have time maybe PM me with some photos of what you are working with. Especially the pots and jacks section just to be sure everything is healthy there.

JoanDF

Post by JoanDF » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 am

j_fury68

Thanks for answering, I've just left the board with the tech today and couldnt take photos, but I'm confused, so you have this problem when connecting with the sampera, but how it was solved? Just by turning it on/off w/wo the pedal?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 am

JoanDF wrote:j_fury68

Thanks for answering, I've just left the board with the tech today and couldnt take photos, but I'm confused, so you have this problem when connecting with the sampera, but how it was solved? Just by turning it on/off w/wo the pedal?
Yes, I have had a similar problem when re-installing a dsp board in a modified Vypyr 15. Things are cloudy with my memory because it has been quite a while ago. I do believe I had the problem when powering up the amp after just installing the board. This happened multiple times and I believe I had the Sanpera I pedal pluged in (modified 15 with stompboxes and midi jack). It seemed that once was able to cure the problem by cycling power after removing the sanpera. I think another time it took a few more trys of cycling power and possible even trying to reboot amp to default settings. That being said, I don't want to lead you down any wild goose chases. Logic would dictate that since you recently modified your board then we should make sure it is healthy first. In the how to pdf I mentioned using an ohm meter to test between the send and return connections. You should have no connection between them. Then you should be able to have ohm connection between one of them to one post of c79 (can't remember if send or return connection. please verify in the "how to") and the other should have ohm connection to one of the pins on u14. I personally had a board that I modified for the effect loop that looked good, but had a bad solder joint and also produced very low volume through the amp. A quick reheat of the solder joint and better connection was made and problem fixed. I would definitely check for this first.