Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
frac82

Re: Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

Post by frac82 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:56 am

would it be possible to install only one pot to control the levels for either send and return connections (instead of two independent pots)?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:46 am

Yes. When I made the "how to" pdf I basically rushed to put it together and just follwed the path of my first successful effects loop mod. There is definately some fat that can be trimmed away to simplify things as Rocco Crocco did with his mod on page 6 of this thread. You can have no pots if you want and the loop will still work. I recomend using one on the return side though especailly if you are using an effects processor that sends out or mixes other signals into your signal such as drum loops. The pot in the return section can help tame things down quickly if you need to. wether you go to one pot or no pots you will need to add at least a 10k resistor inline with the signal on the send jack. Something else that can be changed from the "how to" is the use of two switching mono jacks. You really only need one at the send section. The return can be just a regular mono jack. My last mod was just a Vypyr 15 and I didn't use the little blue two wire terminal strip on it. I just soldered from the board to the send jack with a 10k resistor in line and only used a 50k pot on the return side. It works good.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

frac82

Post by frac82 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:48 am

thanx j_fury68.
i have some other questions to know if i understood well... I'm referring to your PDF tutorial, page 11: I ain't an electronics magician but i can see 2 blue vertical mount terminal strip, one on the left board (unshrouded) and one on the right (shrouded); the right-side terminal is the one that you installed while the other one on the left is already present on the amp? do you mean this for non switching and this for switching jacks?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:45 pm

frac82 wrote:thanx j_fury68.
i have some other questions to know if i understood well... I'm referring to your PDF tutorial, page 11: I ain't an electronics magician but i can see 2 blue vertical mount terminal strip, one on the left board (unshrouded) and one on the right (shrouded); the right-side terminal is the one that you installed while the other one on the left is already present on the amp? do you mean this for non switching and this for switching jacks?
OK, the picture of the two boards are just to show where it would be best to locate the blue terminal strips on shrouded and unshrouded boards. I was lazy and didnt remove the one board from the amp for the side by side photo. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, mono switching jacks have a contact that opens when you insert a cable. The picture of the switching jack is correct. I am not totally sure of your other picture, but it looks OK with only two tabs to solder to. My mono jacks look like the switching jacks without the contact that opens. For what its worth, I am not an electronic magician either.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

frac82

Post by frac82 » Mon May 11, 2015 3:49 am

aaaaaaaah!!!! so picture at page 11 of your PDF tutorial shows 2 different boards that work the same and can be either found, one or another, inside the Vypyrs... now it's clear.
summing up, am i right if i say that the mod substantially consists in:
  • installing a vertical mount terminal strip
  • removing R82 resistor
  • soldering two wires at the ends of the R82 empty slot
  • soldering the unlinked wires ends to the vertical mount terminal strip
  • preparing the loop with jacks and pots
  • screwing the wires from the loop to the slots of the vertical mount terminal strip
???

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:26 pm

frac82 wrote:aaaaaaaah!!!! so picture at page 11 of your PDF tutorial shows 2 different boards that work the same and can be either found, one or another, inside the Vypyrs... now it's clear.
summing up, am i right if i say that the mod substantially consists in:
  • installing a vertical mount terminal strip
  • removing R82 resistor
  • soldering two wires at the ends of the R82 empty slot
  • soldering the unlinked wires ends to the vertical mount terminal strip
  • preparing the loop with jacks and pots
  • screwing the wires from the loop to the slots of the vertical mount terminal strip
???
Pretty much. Just pay attention to which wire is send and which is return. The location diagram should help with that.

frac82

Post by frac82 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:22 am

j_fury68 wrote:Pretty much. Just pay attention to which wire is send and which is return. The location diagram should help with that.
right, the wires: which one is send and which one return? i can't understand well from your tutorial and it seems i didn't find any clear explanation here in this topic... could you help us? could you be more precise about this step?

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:49 am

frac82 wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:Pretty much. Just pay attention to which wire is send and which is return. The location diagram should help with that.
right, the wires: which one is send and which one return? i can't understand well from your tutorial and it seems i didn't find any clear explanation here in this topic... could you help us? could you be more precise about this step?
Yea, you got to figure out which board you have, shrouded or un. That part is pretty obviouse due to the Sharc processor being hidden on the shrouded board by pcb. Now look at the drawing. The shrouded board has R82 on top and un-shrouded has it on the bottom so the drawing looks at each board from the R82 side. Also I believe there is a "volume plug" reference that should help with where on the particular side of the board you need to look. The the red and green lines should corrispond to the side of the resistor you need to connect send and return to. I know, I know...clear as mud :mrgreen: Study on it a while and see if it doesn't make sense. If you need more hlep PM me and I'll see what I can do.

frac82

Post by frac82 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:43 am

thanx j_fury68 wrote, very kind as ever; i'll study it out!
i took the liberty of editing two drawings that summarize the options on this mod; everybody out there please see and correct.
Attachments
j_fury68 original
j_fury68 original
Diapositiva1_JF68.JPG (48.87 KiB) Viewed 7239 times
j_fury68 edited by Rocco Crocco
j_fury68 edited by Rocco Crocco
Diapositiva2_JF68&RC.JPG (47.88 KiB) Viewed 7239 times

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Looks great Frac! I Think that maybe its time to brush up the old "How to" document and include these pics ( if its ok with you) and maybe add and take away a few other things for simplicity and clarity. You were not the only one to have gotten confused by the side by side photo of the two boards, so that definitely needs some help. If anyone else has some suggestions that would be great too.

frac82

Post by frac82 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:53 am

you and your work are great j_fury68!
SHARING, that's what communities and forums are for! if my drawings are correct and can be useful for others that can only be good! and for me there's no problem if you want to add them in your tutorial.
I just don't know how to explain to myself that Peavey doesn't include this feature as a factory default!

p.s.: just tell me how I can directly send you the above images.
Last edited by frac82 on Fri May 15, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 am

I have a question. It looks like 10 K resistor replaces R82 However what is the purpose of the 50K RP. Thanks to frac82 and j_fury68 I feel that I can now do this mod.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:58 pm

wmjones wrote:I have a question. It looks like 10 K resistor replaces R82 However what is the purpose of the 50K RP. Thanks to frac82 and j_fury68 I feel that I can now do this mod.
Totally a good question. I, not being a scientist of anything, will try to convey why I chose to use the 50k pot in this circuit. There were many experiments with many failures along the way. A time of trial and error and error did abound! Seriously, I did some very basic research on effect loops and found that really nice loops are buffered with some circuitry that helps to level out signal voltages that leave the amp and return back to the amp. However, knowing that it would take me some time to make a buffered loop, let alone understand it, I decided that I would try a passive one just to see if it would work. In truth I was worried about damaging stuff especial since I was going outside of the realm of what the amp was designed to do. With that in mind, I just kind of guessed that if 10ohm was a good starting point then I should go over that a bit and dial it in manually until it sounds good. So after playing around with the stuff for a while, I did find that giving the circuit less that 10ohms didn't seem to hurt it at all, just made things sound like crap...real distorted cleans and stuff. On the flip side, giving it 50 ohm seemed to totally kill the volume all together. So, yes you can get rid of the 50k pot all together and probably be fine, but it does seem to have some practical use when you are trying to play at bed room levels using an effects processor that has a drum machine or other effects that outputs a signal that has potential of being loud when you don't want it to. It just seems like you can have all your effects at a certain level and forget to lower it on that drum machine and before you know it you just got punched in the face by sound! It seems to me to be easier to just go to the one pot on the amp and turn it down until you have a minute to figure out how to turn down what you need to on the effects menu. Maybe its just me, so leave it out if you want. It will still be cool!

patrock

Post by patrock » Mon May 25, 2015 5:43 am

j_fury68 wrote:I recently modded my Vypyr tube 60 and a friends vypyr 15 with an effects loop mod. Wondering if any here is interested. Here is a video of the end result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIi-FwwUpE
hello,
i'm new to this forum and i can't find the pdf link.
also i wonder if this works on my vox vt40+
it's a modeling amp with a 12ax7 tube in the power section.
i want to use the fx loop to put a looper pedal in it, so that if i change preset, the looper will record multiple presets.
(i think that if i put the looper in front of the amp, the change of presets will change all sounds in the looper.)
if i was not clear enough, or you need the signal path of my amp, just ask me.

thanks a lot!

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:07 pm

patrock wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:I recently modded my Vypyr tube 60 and a friends vypyr 15 with an effects loop mod. Wondering if any here is interested. Here is a video of the end result. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIi-FwwUpE
hello,
i'm new to this forum and i can't find the pdf link.
also i wonder if this works on my vox vt40+
it's a modeling amp with a 12ax7 tube in the power section.
i want to use the fx loop to put a looper pedal in it, so that if i change preset, the looper will record multiple presets.
(i think that if i put the looper in front of the amp, the change of presets will change all sounds in the looper.)
if i was not clear enough, or you need the signal path of my amp, just ask me.

thanks a lot!
The PDF can be found on page 2. As far as compatibility with a vox, well it would take some time looking at a schematic to see if it can be done easily. Do you have a schematic?