Vypyr and VIP with effects loop mod

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
fyoory

Re: Vypyr with effects loop mod, anyone interested?

Post by fyoory » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:59 am

J_fury68,

Awesome, I'll check it out tonight. I'd really like to find the full schematics again, had them somewhere, lost now. A few pics help clear that up quickly. Think those are here on the forums somewhere. While this is relatively simple it still took me a bit of time just to rip the electronics out. When I finish this up, I'll try to post a finished shot of it with some markings for those later on.
'06 MIM HSS Sunburst Strat / Epi LP Studio / Vypyr T60 w/ Effects Loop mod

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm

fyoory wrote:J_fury68,

Awesome, I'll check it out tonight. I'd really like to find the full schematics again, had them somewhere, lost now. A few pics help clear that up quickly. Think those are here on the forums somewhere. While this is relatively simple it still took me a bit of time just to rip the electronics out. When I finish this up, I'll try to post a finished shot of it with some markings for those later on.
Here you go. Page 2 between u14 and c79.
Attachments
DSPBoard01.pdf
(215.95 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

fyoory

Post by fyoory » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks j_fury, I have gotten most of this done but had an issue when it came to testing. Mostly came out ok tho, I think I kept track of which was send and return but my jacks are flippeed from what I had thought. So I threw a 1/4" cable on the jacks and had sound, flipped the send and receive. So I think I just need to flip the wires at the terminal block.

Im probably going to replace my pots as they really only adjust well around 10-7 range then the adjustments fall off.

Overall however, I'd actually say I like the tone better now that I can cut down the dsp input to the tube section, and max out the master vol. It does seem to compliment the noise gate others are not happy with. At least to me seems so.

This is freaking awesome :D Thanks for taking the time to share and document your work!

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 am

I am about to order the parts required to complete the FX loop mod but need to know if "log" or "linear" pots are recommended .I know that it only matters regarding where in the pots travel everything happens but wondered in this scenario which gave the most progressive even control. I know this mod will turn my Vypyr 15 , that already has midi capability ,stompbox activation and an ext speaker out socket ,into a "go anywhere do anything" combo especially in terms of running into outboard gear such as P.A. ,tube power amp and computer speaker sim software. Looking forward to doing the mod v. soon.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:50 pm

fyoory wrote:Thanks j_fury, I have gotten most of this done but had an issue when it came to testing. Mostly came out ok tho, I think I kept track of which was send and return but my jacks are flippeed from what I had thought. So I threw a 1/4" cable on the jacks and had sound, flipped the send and receive. So I think I just need to flip the wires at the terminal block.

Im probably going to replace my pots as they really only adjust well around 10-7 range then the adjustments fall off.

Overall however, I'd actually say I like the tone better now that I can cut down the dsp input to the tube section, and max out the master vol. It does seem to compliment the noise gate others are not happy with. At least to me seems so.

This is freaking awesome :D Thanks for taking the time to share and document your work!
Glad you are having good results. It is easy to get things turned around in your head when flipping from one side to the other. Have you tried any effects in the loop to see how it sounds? If you find a pot that works really well for you let us know.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:54 pm

lionheart wrote:I am about to order the parts required to complete the FX loop mod but need to know if "log" or "linear" pots are recommended .I know that it only matters regarding where in the pots travel everything happens but wondered in this scenario which gave the most progressive even control. I know this mod will turn my Vypyr 15 , that already has midi capability ,stompbox activation and an ext speaker out socket ,into a "go anywhere do anything" combo especially in terms of running into outboard gear such as P.A. ,tube power amp and computer speaker sim software. Looking forward to doing the mod v. soon.
I have tried both and didn't really seem to matter. I will say that I considered using more resistance in the send pot for the 15 watt that I modded to see if it would help with the transition to it's own power amp. I was thinking of trying 75 or a 100k to see what that would be like. My current amp is a 60 watt tube and I am using 50k volume pots and are working well here.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:53 am

fyoory wrote:Thanks j_fury, I have gotten most of this done but had an issue when it came to testing. Mostly came out ok tho, I think I kept track of which was send and return but my jacks are flippeed from what I had thought. So I threw a 1/4" cable on the jacks and had sound, flipped the send and receive. So I think I just need to flip the wires at the terminal block.

Hey wondering if you have had anymore luck with this. Just curious.

fyoory

Post by fyoory » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:03 am

Hey j_fury,

You may get more interest if you posted this mod on reddit.com/r/guitar or something. I would but I don't want to take credit for your work. Just be aware the trolls, do not feed them. :D

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:53 pm

fyoory wrote:Hey j_fury,

You may get more interest if you posted this mod on reddit.com/r/guitar or something. I would but I don't want to take credit for your work. Just be aware the trolls, do not feed them. :D
Yeah, I not so much into this for the glory. I do think it is cool and hope that others can get to enjoy it and come up with some cool combinations, possibly even something that I haven't thought about and would like to try myself. I guess when I considered posting my findings I thought that if I was the guy looking for this stuff I would hope someone would share it with me. Indeed I have found such grace from others and am thankful. That being said, share it with whomever you wish. I am satisfied if the guys here that want to try it are happy.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:31 am

Hey, just wondering if anyone has completed this mod. Maybe some feed back, maybe some pics would be nice. :)

Ljoe1969

Post by Ljoe1969 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:03 pm

if i do this mod, can i use the send to go to a digital recorder such as a boss micro br?

joe

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Ljoe1969 wrote:if i do this mod, can i use the send to go to a digital recorder such as a boss micro br?

joe
Yes. Of course you can go out of the head phone jack, but this would allow you to have a more robust connection. When you connect to an outside unit like the boss and want to mute the Vypyr power amp the all you have to do is plug a short patch cable or 1/4" adapter into the return side with nothing else attached to. Hope this makes sense.

Ljoe1969

Post by Ljoe1969 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:16 pm

my head phone jack has a barely audible guitar signal. that's why i want this mod.

thanks.

joe

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:11 am

Ljoe1969 wrote:my head phone jack has a barely audible guitar signal. that's why i want this mod.

thanks.

joe
Is it because it is damaged or it just doesn't play well with your boss? If it is damaged then you should still be good to go with this mod because we are interrupting the signal chain before it gets to the headphone jack. That way any effects added in the effects loop will be audible from the headphones as well.
Sorry, just made the connection that you have already addressed this issue in another post. Ok, I got it.
Last edited by j_fury68 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rippie

Post by Rippie » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:38 am

Quick question, does this mod work for the new generation of Vypyr's?
Mainly the VIP 2?

If so, I can't thank you enough. My girlfriend bought me this amp as a surprise
and I love the tone's but I really really want to put a better looper in the chain
and there is no other way, so thank you!