Anyone buy a Vypyr VIP 2 and wish they had bought the VIP 3?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Greg.D

Anyone buy a Vypyr VIP 2 and wish they had bought the VIP 3?

Post by Greg.D » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Stopped in at GC today. Compared a Vypyr VIP 2 to a Fender Mustang III. This time, only using an electric-acoustic. A few weeks ago, tried the same comparison with a Strat.

In each case, the Peavey was much better than the Mustang - at least using the presets.

I liked the VIP 2 because it was so easy to use without reading a book. The VIP 3 next to it with the scrolling LCD continued to vex me.

But, there must be differences that are important. Who regrets buying the VIP 2 and wished he had bought the VIP 3 instead? Reasons?

Thanks,

Greg

MusicShade

Re: Anyone buy a Vypyr VIP 2 and wish they had bought the VI

Post by MusicShade » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Nah, I prefer the interface of the VIP 2. If I was in a situation where I needed a louder bass tone though I'd say the VIP 3 would be better. I think the tone the Vip 2 gets with bass is great, but it doesn't get very loud on its own.

Greg.D

Post by Greg.D » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 pm

MusicShade wrote:Nah, I prefer the interface of the VIP 2. If I was in a situation where I needed a louder bass tone though I'd say the VIP 3 would be better. I think the tone the Vip 2 gets with bass is great, but it doesn't get very loud on its own.
Thanks, great answer. You remind me that I need to go back and try a bass through the VIP 2. I do play acoustic, electric and bass!

The VIP 2 panel looks better the longer Edit is taking to appear. It also makes a good video demo.

Greg

rockmanmd

Post by rockmanmd » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I went to guitar center and tried the VIP2 first then tried the VIP3 went back to the VIP2 and then tried the VIP3 again and decided on the VIP3 for many reasons. One thing I liked is the display interface on the VIP3 it is very easy to use to me. I guess because I have used effect modules in the past and they had a similar display/edit window. Another thing for me was the power sponge really works well on the VIP3. The difference in the wattage was not a big a deal as I have a Vypyr 30 watt that can get pretty loud. The Vypyr 30 interface is a similar approach as the VIP2. Some other things I figured out when I got it home and used it was the tap tempo will blink the amp channel color you have selected and when adjusting effects or amps the parameter will display in the lcd window. I guess it depends on what you like better for the interface but I like the VIP3 approach. I will say that the Vypyr older and new models do a decent job of simulating a tube amp. Nothing compares to what a tube amp sounds like as I have done a side by side comparions but the Vypyr line plays and reacts somewhat like a tube amp.

Rockmanmd

Peavey Profex II
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey VIP3
Peavey Valveking.