Stompboxes not working :-(

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
frikidelinfierno

Stompboxes not working :-(

Post by frikidelinfierno » Sun May 17, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi to all.
I recently got my 30 watts Vypyr and everithing goes ok but the stompboxes knob. I can't get any sound variation rotating the knob to the different stompbox options. I've tried to change the p1 and p2 parameters through the edit mode, but nothing seems to change.
Does someone know what's happening? Maybe an obsolete firmware version (mine is version 1.0.2)?
Thanks in advance :|

Ian-the-mac

Re: Stompboxes not working :-(

Post by Ian-the-mac » Sun May 17, 2009 2:25 pm

I can't think of anything that would do this apart from someone forgetting to solder in the selector properly.
I did wonder if it could be a plug inside which was loose but the picture posted of a 75 suggests that there's only one plug covering the amps, tone controls, stomp boxes and effects so it shouldn't be that.
(http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4169)
Do you get any stompboxes on your presets? If you still have the factory presets A2 and A3 should have Tube Screamer & Squeeze respectively, B1 and B4 should have Phase & Squeeze and C1 C3 & C4 should have XR Wild, Auto Wah & Squeeze.
Is the light working? It should move around the dial as you turn the knob.
More info might help but I suspect you might have a problem that just needs you to take the amp back & get another.
Firmware did improve some things but I don't remember anyone saying it magically bought a useless stomp box selector back to life!
Better luck with the next one.
Cheers
Ian

frikidelinfierno

Post by frikidelinfierno » Sun May 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Ian-the-mac wrote:I can't think of anything that would do this apart from someone forgetting to solder in the selector properly.
I did wonder if it could be a plug inside which was loose but the picture posted of a 75 suggests that there's only one plug covering the amps, tone controls, stomp boxes and effects so it shouldn't be that.
(http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4169)
Do you get any stompboxes on your presets? If you still have the factory presets A2 and A3 should have Tube Screamer & Squeeze respectively, B1 and B4 should have Phase & Squeeze and C1 C3 & C4 should have XR Wild, Auto Wah & Squeeze.
Is the light working? It should move around the dial as you turn the knob.
More info might help but I suspect you might have a problem that just needs you to take the amp back & get another.
Firmware did improve some things but I don't remember anyone saying it magically bought a useless stomp box selector back to life!
Better luck with the next one.
Cheers
Ian
Hi, Ian.
First of all, thanks a lot for answering so fast. :P
The lights from the stompbox knob work perfectly, moving properly as you turn the knob to the left o to the right. The problem isthat I can't get any "Sonic-Change" feedback when I move the knob. For Example, the sound is exactly the same when the knob selector is on "Auto-Wah" position (no "wah" sound at all) and the other positions.
I feel really pissed, cause I don't know if is something there I'm missing out or, the most probable choice, there is something wrong with my amp.
Thanks again.

Ian-the-mac

Post by Ian-the-mac » Sun May 17, 2009 3:53 pm

With some of the effects it's possible to turn them right down until they're hardly there, but some, like Tubescreamer & Fuzz just don't turn down to hardly-there levels so I can't think of any way you could avoid having an effect from them.
Best way to hear if anything's happening is probably to start with a clean amp (Twn or Dlx) on green with the pre gain turned down so you're not swamped with overdrive. Then the effects are either there or they're not - I can't think what you could do to stop them.
Someone else might have an idea - otherwise I'm afraid it's time to take it back & ask for an exchange for a good 'un!
Cheers
Ian

jim7192

Post by jim7192 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 am

I have the same thing,,, Stompboxes not working at all..... not sure when that started with my 75, I was out of town for a few days... everything else is working but not the Stompboxes, I can edit and turn up and down all day long and nothing changes

bortz

Post by bortz » Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 am

I looked back thru your above posts and I don't see an answer to his question of whether you're getting any effects sounds from your presets.
This would help pin down a knob problem or a general amp malfunction.
Also, not that this will help anything but out of curiosity, try listening thru headphones and see if the effects work with those plugged in.
------
Feel free to contact me via twitter: @frankkolnacki

jim7192

Post by jim7192 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 am

I've tried with pre-sets and my own,, nothing,, I will try headphones tonight to see if it holds true

Dave_LP

Post by Dave_LP » Mon May 25, 2009 7:09 am

I guess that you could try an amp reset back to factory settings to see if something got turned off in the firmware.

jim7192

Post by jim7192 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Dave_LP wrote:I guess that you could try an amp reset back to factory settings to see if something got turned off in the firmware.

Im not sure how to try that,,, reset back to factory settings

gittyup

Post by gittyup » Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Reset to factory settings means power off, then simultaneously hold preset buttons 1 & 2 while powering up.
Gittyup Plays

V15 & V75
98 Am Stat
97 CIJ Strat-heavy mods
07 LTD EC400-AT
97 ProTone FR Stat
06 MIM Tele
07 Ibanez Sz320
....and more

tencentpistol100

Post by tencentpistol100 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 am

Wow yes this is a four year old post that I am replying to. Hopefully though someone else suffering this problem will find it like I did. I also found the solution if anybody cares at this point.

I bought a used Vypyr 30 off Craigslist. Got it home and no stomboxes worked. The encoder worked, the lights changed with each turn, but the tone did not change at all. Simply put the stompboxes just didnt work. The amp sounded terrible, very muddy. I only paid $50 for it so I though oh well.

Started searching the net looking for answers. Found there is little out there about it, but I did find this post on this forum. Found a non related post about a DIP switch on the encoder board right behind the "high" and "post gain" knob. The post said those switches told the "effects board" which version of the amp it was (15, 30, 60 etc.)

All 3 of my DIP switches were in the down position. I flipped the first switch up (first one on the left if your looking straight down at the switch from the top). Turned the amp off, then back on. WOW! I now have stompboxes, everything works perfectly. The amp sounds 1000 times better than it did, no more muddy sound, lots of options now.

I don't know of that is the correct DIP combo for my amp or not, but I know it made the stompboxes work, and everything else still works perfectly. I did not experiment further. Just happy to have a correctly working amp. The only thing I can figure is that maybe the amp being dropped, or sat down really hard, something probably caused the DIP switch to move??? Don't know? It fixed mine 100%

Hopefully someone else will find this and it will work for them. I joined this board just to share this info. I hope it helps someone else, and good luck....