peavey vypyr vip3

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
kevinkjs

peavey vypyr vip3

Post by kevinkjs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 pm

is it possible to add an additional speaker or speakers to a peavey vip3?
even if modification or jacks needed to be installed, is it feasible?

JamesPaul

Re: peavey vypyr vip3

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:54 am

Welcome to the forum!

Someone did this for their VYPYR.

I'm remembering they went to Mojotone and found an enclosed speaker jack made to wire right in series with the internal speaker. When you plug an external speaker cab into the jack, it sends the signal to the external cab and opens the internal speaker path. For this case you'd want the external cab the same impedance as the VIP internal speaker.

They mounted jack on the inside of the cabinet, so it may involve some carpentry skills with the VIPs. May also be as simple as drill a hole in the VIP's back and mount the jack there.

Try searching this forum for their thread.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I was short on time earlier.

Try this topic: Vypyr 75 - Speaker Out to 4x12 Cab Mod
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

kevinkjs

Post by kevinkjs » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks James Paul for the Mojotone info. I'm a 55 yr. old garage band veteran but
still get the boys together occasionally. I'm up against an old Ampeg V4 100w 4x12
and don't know if my VIP3 can measure up in volume. Not much response to my Q,
so I appreciate your time.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:33 pm

That lack of response to your Q likely means no one has tried to do this external cab mod recently. I just remembered there was an old topic about it. In general, the members on the Peavey forum are quite helpful.

I think the jack you're looking for is going to be a J5-1C, SPDT transfer switching circuit. Just in case it wasn't from Mojotone.

Ensure your 412 has higher efficiency speakers and you will have a good start on keeping up with the Ampeg.
James Paul's Peaveys

Macheted01

Post by Macheted01 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 pm

I have thought about trying this with my VIP 3. I would like to set it up and try my bass guitar cab with it. Interested to see how this works out for others.

sharmlshaker

Post by sharmlshaker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 am

JamesPaul - I like your mod, but does anyone know how to mod a Vypyr VIP3 so that it uses the internal speaker in conjunction with an external cab (I'd personally prefer either a 1x12" or 2x12" "on end") so as to either give more spread, or a mini "stack-a-like" aesthetic appearance?

alienux

Post by alienux » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 am

Does anyone know where to order that switchable jack from? I looked on monotone's website and I'm not coming up with anything there (or anywhere else I've looked so far). I'm sure I'm probably just not searching for the exact correct part name.

Macheted01

Post by Macheted01 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 pm

I have always dealt with
http://Www.allparts.com or http://www.wdmusic.com
But you could also try www.tubesandmore.com
Call either one ant just tell them what you are wanting to do and they will point you in the right direction.
It would be nice to run this with another cab as well. I have a single 12" Celestion loaded cab at 8 ohm. Just don't know if it would be recommended. Just a standard 1/4 jack wired in the back of the cab would do the trick, I would think. Would be nice to have both options though.
Last edited by Macheted01 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:30 pm

sharmlshaker wrote:JamesPaul - I like your mod, but does anyone know how to mod a Vypyr VIP3 so that it uses the internal speaker in conjunction with an external cab (I'd personally prefer either a 1x12" or 2x12" "on end") so as to either give more spread, or a mini "stack-a-like" aesthetic appearance?
Wiring a speaker jack in parallel with the existing speaker wires will accomplish this, but that will (and can only) lower the total impedance the VIP3 power amp will see. I still do not know what the power amp is in the VIP 3, and if it will support a lower impedance load. I would recommend against trying this until we know what the VIP power amp is.
James Paul's Peaveys

Macheted01

Post by Macheted01 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 pm

I agree with you JamesPaul. Need to know more specs and stuff. Need an amp guru to check it out. I have one but he is a vintage tube amp guy and I am afraid this would be beyond him.

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 pm

alienux wrote:Does anyone know where to order that switchable jack from? I looked on monotone's website and I'm not coming up with anything there (or anywhere else I've looked so far). I'm sure I'm probably just not searching for the exact correct part name.
I was likely confusing my topics when I wrote Mojotone. But you can try any of the suggestions above or try Mouser Electronics.

Also by the looks of the jack in that topic, it was likely a Neutrik NMJ4HFD2 jack. That is Mouser Stock # 550-12201.

I should note that unless I've confused my schematics again, the NMJ4HFD2 is a J4 not a J5. Wiring it up will be different, but it should still work. You can probably sort it, but if not I can try finding an example wiring diagram or post one of my famous low quality mobile phone pics of my scribbling. :)
Last edited by JamesPaul on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Paul's Peaveys

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Macheted01 wrote:I agree with you JamesPaul. Need to know more specs and stuff. Need an amp guru to check it out. I have one but he is a vintage tube amp guy and I am afraid this would be beyond him.
I usually will not intentionally mismatch impedances, even with solid state amplifiers.

But the reality is, sometimes you run a mismatch by design. The Bandit 112 is an example of this. Use the internal 8 ohm speaker and it is rated for 80W output power. Add an external 8 ohm cabinet in parallel and it is rated for 100W output power into the (paralleled speakers) 4 ohm load. No magic there. Just due to the impedance mismatch at 8 ohms, the maximum power wasn't being transfered to the speaker. Keep in mind, the power amp section of the Bandit 112 is designed for this. This may not be true of every solid state amp.

The VYPYR 30 uses a standard, commercially available, power amplifier; the LM3886. In a properly designed circuit, with a 28V supply (Vcc), it is rated for 38W output power into an 8 ohm load. With the same 28V supply, the LM3886 is rated for 68W output power into a 4 ohm load.

So if we know what the power amp in the VIP3 is, we could likely answer the question by reviewing the power amp data sheet. I bet your vintage tube amp guy could handle this if he knew what the VIP3 power amp was.
James Paul's Peaveys

alienux

Post by alienux » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:24 am

JamesPaul wrote:
alienux wrote:Does anyone know where to order that switchable jack from? I looked on monotone's website and I'm not coming up with anything there (or anywhere else I've looked so far). I'm sure I'm probably just not searching for the exact correct part name.
I was likely confusing my topics when I wrote Mojotone. But you can try any of the suggestions above or try Mouser Electronics.

Also by the looks of the jack in that topic, it was likely a Neutrik NMJ4HFD2 jack. That is Mouser Stock # 550-12201.

I should note that unless I've confused my schematics again, the NMJ4HFD2 is a J4 not a J5. Wiring it up will be different, but it should still work. You can probably sort it, but if not I can try finding an example wiring diagram or post one of my famous low quality mobile phone pics of my scribbling. :)
Cool, thanks for the info.

sharmlshaker

Post by sharmlshaker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:16 am

Interesting. I'll watch this space.