Vypyr VIP 1 out to Mixer?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Reborn627

Vypyr VIP 1 out to Mixer?

Post by Reborn627 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Hello,
I've done a search, both google and on this forum, looking for what should be a simple answer. I'm no sound guru, I'm just looking for the best method for connecting my VIP1 to the mixer at my church. Currently micing the amp is not an option. Acoustics in the current space are terrible so any sound in addition to the mains creates a real problem for our volunteer sound folks. The output on the VIP 1 is a stereo 1/8" jack. Would an 1/8" to XLR work or is it necessary to use a DI box which instead would require a 1/8" to 1/4" to DI box? This raises the question about the stereo nature of the output. Is the "stereo" simply a duplicate signal on the left and right or is there actually different information being output on the left and right channel. I apologize if this is SUPER basic stuff made complicated by my lack of knowledge. Any help that you could offer would be appreciated.

Peace,
Ray

Sparkopath

Re: Vypyr VIP 1 out to Mixer?

Post by Sparkopath » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but here is what I have done with my Vypyrs. I have an 1/8" stereo to left and right 1/4" monos (2 plugs on one end) all in one cable that I picked up at my local music store. Pretty sure it's Peavey make, matter of fact. I plug either the left or right in to the insturment input on my Digitech GNX4 (serves as my mixer) and it honestly sounds the same no matter which I use, left or right. I have tried plugging it in to both the left and right line in ports and it doesn't sound as good, but that's probably my GNX setup.

Basically what I would suggest is 1/8" to 1/4" either stereo or mono (won't affect it either way I don't think) into your mixer. Try that and see what you think.

Sparky

alienux

Post by alienux » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm

My VIP 2 sounded terrible when I hooked it up to a DI box using the headphone out (1/8" mono to 1/4" mono). Lot's of other Vypyr users said theirs sounded good so I asked about it, but I never got mine sounding good.

It occurred to me earlier today that I may not have been using enough volume through the headphone out, so I actually just started a new post asking about the same topic here:

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35139

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 am

Reborn627 wrote:Hello,
Is the "stereo" simply a duplicate signal on the left and right or is there actually different information being output on the left and right channel. I apologize if this is SUPER basic stuff made complicated by my lack of knowledge. Any help that you could offer would be appreciated.

Peace,
Ray
I believe you are correct. This is a duplicate signal. No actual stereo going on here. You may be able to use a simple 1/8" mono connection here without any trouble. It would be worth a try.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

newroad

Post by newroad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:35 am

Sparkopath wrote:I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but here is what I have done with my Vypyrs. I have an 1/8" stereo to left and right 1/4" monos (2 plugs on one end) all in one cable that I picked up at my local music store. Pretty sure it's Peavey make, matter of fact. I plug either the left or right in to the insturment input on my Digitech GNX4 (serves as my mixer) and it honestly sounds the same no matter which I use, left or right. I have tried plugging it in to both the left and right line in ports and it doesn't sound as good, but that's probably my GNX setup.

Basically what I would suggest is 1/8" to 1/4" either stereo or mono (won't affect it either way I don't think) into your mixer. Try that and see what you think.

Sparky
Best way I have found is to just get you a good amp mic such as Sennheiser e609 and a good sound man :) who will listen to what you say !

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:48 pm

I have found that the best answer to any sound problems in church is a good sound man.
8) HAPPY DAYS: