Vypyr 60 - lights cut out and then "played along" with me?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Mole351

Vypyr 60 - lights cut out and then "played along" with me?

Post by Mole351 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm

just got a used Vypyr 60 tube from GC - was playing and the lights cut out and then a few (one knob) started lighting up when I would play a note or notes...and would stop when I would stop.

I pushed a button and it came back to normal, but want to make sure this is supposed to happen? If not I will take it back...didn't see much in the manual in the way of lights.

any advice appreciated!

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr 60 - lights cut out and then "played along" with m

Post by JamesPaul » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 pm

If the "one knob" was the amp encoder knob, it would appear that your 60 switched on the tuner. No, that is not supposed happen unless you push the amp encoder knob and hold it for 2 seconds.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Mole351

Post by Mole351 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:35 pm

it's actually 2 - forget which ones, but one has red lights moving around to the notes, and the one beside it has green. I think it's the amp and effect knobs, but will have to get it to happen again to make sure. was so in awe when it happened I forget exactly which knobs they were...just remember thinking it probably shouldn't happen...d'oh!

alienux

Post by alienux » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 am

Sounds like to me the tuner did kick in, but as JamesPaul said, that shouldn't happen unless you hold the knob in.

The tuner causes lights around one of the knobs to light up differently based on whether you are in tune or not. If the string is sharp or flat when you play it, it lights up one way, and if your string is in tune, it lights up another way.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Alienux and JamesPaul are both right. However on my amp I only have to push the amp encoder knob, I do not have to hold it, so you need to be careful to not push knobs when making adjustments.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

bgh

Post by bgh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:49 am

wmjones wrote:Alienux and JamesPaul are both right. However on my amp I only have to push the amp encoder knob, I do not have to hold it, so you need to be careful to not push knobs when making adjustments.
Does this cause problems for you when you try to switch between red and green models?
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 pm

[]Does this cause problems for you when you try to switch between red and green models?[/quote]

Yes it does. Most of the time it switches between amp models but about 1/4 the time it turns on the tuner. This does not bother me because I use my fcb1010 to do everything.
8) HAPPY DAYS: