Sharing VIP 3 settings

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
mikeskingv

Sharing VIP 3 settings

Post by mikeskingv » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:48 pm

So I was sold on this amp partly because even though it looks complicated there was supposed to be this online community of people creating and sharing settings, I'm not a fan of many of the pre loaded presets so I would like to replace "Ain't talking bout love" with "Seasons in the abyss" that sort of thing...

where is this library of user created presets being shared???

also is it just me or does the sponge not adjust as much as it should, it says it can act as a 1 watt all the way up to a 100 watt amp but even turned all the way down it's pretty loud when the volume is up. I Don't think a 1 watt amp would be that loud

sharmlshaker

Re: Sharing VIP 3 settings

Post by sharmlshaker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:38 am

My sentiments exactly mate - read my "moans" on the subject. Although the VIP3 is loud, it's also cheap in terms of build quality and has pretty poor pre-sets and functionality (such as a lack of a means of connecting to an external cab etc.).

I too was sold on the prospect of sharing settings / patches, but haven't as yet found anywhere - although again like you, I thought this would be the place. As a Line 6 POD Studio / POD Farm user, I can buy various "packs" to get the sounds I want for recording, and was hoping for something along those lines for this amp (Tube Screamers are OK, but there are better stompboxes out there if you want something "nastier" - like I do).

No disrespect to anyone on here (because I consider myself one of them too), but there are a lot of "apologists" on here that are to my mind "making do and mending" (as I am), because at the end of the day they've spent what they could afford on an amp that doesn't live up to either the hype or their expectations (just like me).

The "Power Sponge" is crap - useless waste of space on the front panel.

If you find anywhere with loads of settings or better still, hear of anything like downloadable patches, please let me know.

alienux

Post by alienux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Preset portal is here:

https://secure.peavey.com/vypyredit/

There is a link published for it on the official Vypyr VIP page on the main Peavey site (http://peavey.com/products/vypyrvip/).

As far as stock presets, yes, they are not great. Most modeling products including Vypyr, Line 6's PODs, etc. have default presets that are set up more to sound "cool" to someone who isn't as experienced at dialing good tones for live performances. This is pretty normal with amp and modeling device companies these days in trying to reach a broader audience with demo sounds that are neat, but that are not really useful in the real world. The tones are in there, but you have to know how to dial them in and spend some time learning the product to find the sound you're looking for.

I've had to turn down the gain a lot from the default presets (especially the high gain amp models), and I generally like a lot of gain. But the default presets just have way too much. You will need to boost the mids and lower the treble on a lot of the default presets, too, to get a sound that will work with a live band.

mikeskingv

Post by mikeskingv » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Ok thank you for the link, i was able to create another user account (YEAH just what i need) and download some presets. the list isnt huge but enough to get me started

So, next problem... how to get the vyp files into the amp ???

seriously if a programmer cant make things simple they need to find another career

why does it take hours to figure any of this crap out ??

im not a fan of apple products but their programmers make things work, funny if something doesnt just work its pointless is it not ?

if i wanted to be a computer expert i would sell my guitars and take a damn course

mikeskingv

Post by mikeskingv » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Alright that was painfull,

open vypyr edit
choose usb (should be an option to not ask again)
dropdown file
click open preset
find preset
try preset
dropdown file
click write preset to amp
choose slot
choose bank
done

steep curve here, i hope it all pays off

thanks for the help

sharmlshaker

Post by sharmlshaker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:18 am

I take exception to this: "Most modeling products including Vypyr, Line 6's PODs, etc. have default presets that are set up more to sound "cool" to someone who isn't as experienced at dialing good tones for live performances. This is pretty normal with amp and modeling device companies these days in trying to reach a broader audience with demo sounds that are neat, but that are not really useful in the real world." I've been playing guitar for 42 years. I've had dozens of amps and played countless gigs featuring various genres of music. As a paying customer for a VIP3, I can say that it's the crappiest amp I've ever owned. The Bandit I had back in the 80's was built like a tank, and blew all the then competition away. As I've said in so many words in other posts, Peavey at one time led the way - now with their crap build quality, bug ridden software, and lame presets, it's evident they couldn't care less.

I've used a POD Studio in a live situation through a slave amp and a cab, and it blows this POC away. How is that not useful? If you're playing Metal, you basically need one sound. The VIP3 hasn't got it, and you can tweak it until the cows come home - it'll never have it. Best result I've had as I've said elsewhere is routing the POD Studio through the AUX input - not really why I bought this amp to be honest, but there ya go. Putting pedals in front of it (and no loop) hasn't worked either.

Vypyr Edit is what we call in the UK "a load of bollocks!". Each time it crashes (which is frequently - almost every time I use it), I have to un-install it, reboot and re-install, and for the results I can get, it isn't worth the aggro. The other amps I looked at that featured computer based modelling such as the Mustang and the Yamaha THR10X had software that worked and appeared to be completely stable.

Good luck to everyone that owns one, but I'll be looking for a mug to take this off my hands as soon as I can, as I don't need an amp that can't deliver the sound I want (the 6505+ model was a big selling point for me), or one I can't take out and gig with as it's too frickin' fragile.

alienux

Post by alienux » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:21 am

sharmlshaker wrote:I take exception to this: "Most modeling products including Vypyr, Line 6's PODs, etc. have default presets that are set up more to sound "cool" to someone who isn't as experienced at dialing good tones for live performances. This is pretty normal with amp and modeling device companies these days in trying to reach a broader audience with demo sounds that are neat, but that are not really useful in the real world." I've been playing guitar for 42 years. I've had dozens of amps and played countless gigs featuring various genres of music. As a paying customer for a VIP3, I can say that it's the crappiest amp I've ever owned. The Bandit I had back in the 80's was built like a tank, and blew all the then competition away. As I've said in so many words in other posts, Peavey at one time led the way - now with their crap build quality, bug ridden software, and lame presets, it's evident they couldn't care less.

I've used a POD Studio in a live situation through a slave amp and a cab, and it blows this POC away. How is that not useful? If you're playing Metal, you basically need one sound. The VIP3 hasn't got it, and you can tweak it until the cows come home - it'll never have it. Best result I've had as I've said elsewhere is routing the POD Studio through the AUX input - not really why I bought this amp to be honest, but there ya go. Putting pedals in front of it (and no loop) hasn't worked either.
I think you misread what I said. My point was that most (all that I've seen) DEFAULT presets on modeling products are not useful. Nowhere did I say that the POD isn't useful or that it doesn't have useful tones. I've played with a couple of PODs out of the box, and for the most part, the default presets were "neat" sounding but terrible for using with a live band. I know others who feel the same. The PODs have great options for great tones, but I would never use the built-in tones, nor would I (or do I) with the VIP amps. I know some POD owners who have been tweaking their PODs for a year, and are happy with them, but still learning to get the sound they want. I've been tweaking my VIP for about 8 months and I'm getting much better results than the first several months I had it because I had to get past the crappy default presets.

I haven't been playing 42 years like you (I'm just now turning 42 years old), but I have been playing for 28 years. My old Crate G120C 500 watt amp was one of the most solid amps I ever had, but it was a different monster. I turned it on, adjusted EQ and reverb, dialed in my distortion, and played. With the VIP, there are (by design) many, many more options and functions, so it's taken me awhile to learn how to use all of those options.

I've been planning to buy either a Fractal Axe FX II or a POD HD500X, and actually have just about decided on getting one of those this week. My reason isn't because I can't get a good sound out of the VIP, it's because the VIP doesn't have a line out, and miking when I play is not always the best option. I can't complain about the lack of a line out on the VIP because I knew it didn't have one when I bought it. The VIP only cost me $199, as opposed to the much more expensive equipment I've bought in the past, and will buy in the future, but for that extremely cheap price, it's been a great amp and I don't know that I could expect much more for $200.

As with multiple guitar players and amps out there, YMMV.

mikeskingv

Post by mikeskingv » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Well I'm not in either of your leagues, I have tried to learn to play guitar a couple of times in the last 22 years and I am 39 now.

My 12 year old son and I are doing well and have expanded our setup, the vip3 was hopefully good for beginners because even though it is complicated , it supposedly has these presets and an online community so those presets grow in number.

I will personally be happy if I can find six good tones, I would like to experiment with bass in the coming years and I like that it has the capability.

I just don't like how things can't be made simple with computers we should be at the point where "user friendly" is more than just a sales pitch.

alienux

Post by alienux » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:38 am

Keep in mind that even with the downloadable/shared presets, one that sounds good with someone else's gear might not sound good with yours. Pickups, guitar body (wood), strings, room/environment, play style, etc. all add to tone. And even then, a tone that sounds great at home will likely sound terrible in an auditorium, and vice-versa.

As far as ease of use goes, I think the marketing of the VYPYR (at least on some of them) stating that they are WYSIWYG can be a little misleading. WYSIWYG is true, as in what you see on the control knobs is what you'll get from the amp, but learning how to use all of the controls and options is not something you can just jump into without a learning curve.

Modeling products by nature are generally much more complicated than just a standard amp. They require time spent reading manuals, learning controls and interfaces, and just understanding what all of the different options do, and how to get them to do it.
Last edited by alienux on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeskingv

Post by mikeskingv » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:43 am

Definitely, I just needed a starting point.
My son's Ibanez sounds nothing like my Jackson
We both want to try bass even if it doesn't stick and I would like to electrify my acoustic so I think I made the right choice even if in a few years I upgrade again

Thanks again

sharmlshaker

Post by sharmlshaker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Pax Vobiscum! Mike - What Ibanez does your lad have? If it's mahogany like my Ibanez SAS32EX, it'll be really "bright". I had to hardtail the bridge (check it on YouTube), and replaced the terrible "True Duo" pickups with IronGear "Hammerheads", which although passive, have way more "grunt" than the stock jobbies. I recently bought a RGD320X, and that's much nicer (tuned to Low B now - UP from A!). The stock pickups on that are pretty good, and work well with the basswood body that sucks up some of the top end.

Not sure I'd try the VIP3 with a bass - in the event I blew the cone, but each to their own and good luck with the experiment. If you're going to bung a pickup in an acoustic guitar, try one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishman-Prefi ... 3382fb54db

Make sure you tape up the body for any "holes" you're going to cut out, and DRILL THEM FIRST. That way you won't split the "box". Takes @ 30 minutes to fit, and I actually bought one for my son's acoustic for 32 quid!

Guys - The VIP3 does have it's good points. It's loud, it's clean, and it doesn't pick up too much mains noise - all stuff I can work with. I am a bit pissed off with the hype, and the build quality is terrible (way too "breakable"), but it does have potential. As a "beginners" amp, it's up there with the Cubes, Mustangs, Fender Frontman 212R's etc. Loud enough to gig, even though the "Power Sponge" is crap and limits home use. I have 3 other amps and a few more solutions here, so if I'm honest, I can live with it (although again if I'm honest, I could have spent the 300 quid on other stuff like guitars, studio time, vodka, women etc.), but I wear my heart on my sleeve, and wouldn't want to see any aspiring musician deterred by it.

The wine is now working :-) A'Salaam Aleikum!

alienux

Post by alienux » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:41 pm

I'll second the notion about swapping pickups in the Ibanez depending on what's already in there.

I have a mahogany S570dxqm and the stock pickups were OK, but nothing to write home about. I put a Dimarzio Norton in the bridge and a Paf Joe in the neck and it really came to life. Those pickups helped open up the tone quite a bit.

rockmanmd

Post by rockmanmd » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:23 pm

alienux

I totally agree with what you said about modeling amps. The factory presets on the VIPs are way over done. You just need to take time to fool around with the amp models and effects till you get the sound you are looking. for. To me the VIPs are way better sounding and easier to use then the Fender Mustangs amps. I tried both and the VIP sounded way better maybe it is the transtube in the Vyprys. I just started my presets from scratch building my clean and dirty sounds for when I play Contemporary Christian music and then moved on to create my Classic Rock sounds. To me the $240 I paid for my VIP3 last year was a great deal. That is what a decent multi-effects pedal cost. One amp I can take to church and play acoustic, acoustic sim or electric guitar how can you beat that.

rockmanmd

alienux

Post by alienux » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeah, I think the biggest issue with the VIP amps for me is that the gain is way too noisy and has far too much of a mosquito attack sound in the high gain default presets. Boosting the mids, reducing the gain, and adding some post compression really helps smooth them out.

mikeskingv

Post by mikeskingv » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:07 pm

These are great tips for tuning guys, I have noticed the gain which is usually never enough for me is in fact too much.

My son's Ibanez is a cheap GIO model it has a number on the head GS09E006685. Paid $200 for it with a peavey rage 158 and some pedals cables ect. I did suspect the pickups were not doing us any favors, should look into new ones.

Although I have my sights set on a Jackson KE2 Kelly, the new translucent green flame maple one. I will buy it when I give my son my Signature series PDX Demolition King V... It was promised to him the day he can play without mistakes Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss rhythm and lead. hahaha nothing for free