Anyone who uses a POD into the mp3/CD input

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
alienux

Anyone who uses a POD into the mp3/CD input

Post by alienux » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:51 am

I bought a POD HD500X and I really like it. I know I'd read here that there were a few players who were plugging these into the mp3/CD input on their Vypyr and/or VIP amps.

I tried plugging the POD's 1/4" out (set to "amp" on the POD) into the mp3 input using a mono 1/4" to mono 1/8" cable and I got a ton of hum and buzz. It may be a bad cable, I'm not sure yet. So I tried the other cable I had, which is a stereo 1/4" to mono 1/8" and it worked OK with no buzzing. I then added a mono to stereo adapter on the 1/8" side (making it a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo cable, essentially) and it sounded just a slight bit thicker/fuller.

I was just wondering if anyone else who uses a similar setup has any tips for using the POD and Vyper VIP this way. I really like how it sounds after just playing around with it for a short while, but thought some who have more experience might have some other input.

alienux

Re: Anyone who uses a POD into the mp3/CD input

Post by alienux » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 am

Well, I messed around with this a little more.

I think the best sound I got was when using the "line" setting for the 1/4" out on the POD instead of the "amp" setting, which makes sense considering I'm using the aux input.

The Vypyr darkens the sound some, but I'm not yet sure how much, if any, the tone controls affect the aux input.

jdalf

Post by jdalf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:34 am

Hi, I woulda responded sooner but I've been out of town. I have a HD500 and have run from the 1/4 inch cables out into the input on the Vypyr. There is an output adjust section in the pod you might want to fiddle with, you can set it for studio direct, combo, stack, power amp in, etc. It affects the overall EQ going to your Vypyr, so set up your patches and try different outputs to see what sounds best.

Another thing to fool with and is inexpensive is get an ABY switch and you can switch between your amp and the pod or have both on together. pretty nifty, I think
My head's in Mississippi

Peavey's: Generation Standard,Limited EXP ST, Falcon Custom,Vypyr 30, VIP 40

alienux

Post by alienux » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:26 am

I've been using it in studio direct so far. I'll have to see how it sounds with the other settings. I'm mostly going to be plugging the L/R XLR outputs directly into a PA and possibly using the Vypyr as a monitor, but I'll mess around with some of the settings to see what I can get for just playing at home.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't thought about A/B using both the Vypyr and POD together, but that sounds like it could be interesting (in a good way).